Question Help! Fun experiences at Disneyland?

Hi, I need help planning a trip for my sister's 30th birthday. She is turning 30 in November and we are staying at the Grand Californian Hotel for the first time. However, I want to do something special while we're there. We are annual passholders and have already done the Walk in Walt's Footstep's Tour and Fantasmic's Priority Seating and Dessert. I was looking into other tours, but I'm not sure she'll enjoy the whole Segway Tour at DCA and we already know so much about Disneyland that the Welcome Tour is out of the question. Does anybody know if there is anything really special about the VIP Services?

If the Electrical Parade is still running in November, I thought about doing the Priority Seating and Dessert for that. Still, it's probably similiar to the Fantasmic set up and we've seen the Electrical Parade more times than I can count. I wanted to get into Club 33, just because it would be a new experience, but unfortunately, I don't know anyone who can make reservations for us. Is there any backstage tours at Disneyland ... you know, something similar to the Hollywood Family Vacation by Adventures by Disney, minus the whole Hollywood itineraries?

Argh! I don't know what to do. My sister is kind of sad about turning 30 and that's why she wants to to do it at the Happiest Place on Earth, but I can't seem to find a way to make it really special! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Re: Help! Fun experiences at Disneyland?

I had to laugh at your thread title. "Fun experiences at Disneyland?" Uh, yeah. That's the general idea.

Anyway, I took my sister to Disneyland for her 30th birthday! We hadn't gone in a long time, so just going was special enough. Since you already know everything there is to know about Disneyland, you'll have to create your own fun to make this visit extra special (even more special than getting to wear a birthday pin all day).

How about pretending she's turning 3 instead of 30? She could get made up as a princess at BB Boutique and wear a Cinderella dunce cap. You could go to a character breakfast or that restaurant in DCA with the princesses that come to your table (or whatever it is that happens there). And since she really is turning 30, you can go to the bar and get rip-roaring drunk!

• Disney is home

The past couple of seasons, Electrical Parade didn't make it's Winter return till about mid-December. With the new floats and music, it could come back earlier or never stop running after Summer ends.

Definitely have her go to the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boutique as the post above said. The Fairy Godmothers in Training are wonderful and do a great job at making the process magical. If you are wondering, anyone can have this done, age does not matter.

• Here's my 2 cents

well, since you're well aquainted with the Park (so are we) this is what my wife did to change things up a bit when I turned 50. My wife set up a mostly surprize party for me at the Napa Rose, out on the cigar lounge patio with about 25 friends and family. I knew nothing about the arrangement but she went to the Napa Rose, on her own, and selected the wines and hor'dourves that were served. On my birthday I thought it was just the 2 of us for dinner, what a shock when I stepped out on the patio and saw everyone, needless to say the wine, food and service were amazing (as is my wife!). It was an incredible surprize to see my sister was here from SF, my brother from Wyoming, and my mom from Palm Springs and all our friends. Anyway just a thought of something you could do for your sister as a "surprize" since you're staying at the GC.
    BTW 4 years ago our AP's got us a hefty discount, but, sadly the Napa Rose does not honor AP discounts anymore. Doesn't keep us from going though!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Quality not quantity

Roll your own.

Since you don't seem to be all that price sensitive, hire a couple of High School/College kids for the day (preferably ones with AP's). Let them do all the Fastpass runs (doubling the number of fastpasses you get). Let them save you primo spots for fireworks or Fantasmic, wait in lines for treats, carry your stuff, etc.... I'll bet you could get some willing volunteers for say $100 each?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Well, there's always a couple of my favorite free things - riding the tender car on the DLRR and getting a pilot's license on the Mark Twain - I have mine framed and hanging in my office, it even gets some comments.

Run all over the parks and get your photo taken with every character you can find by the DLR photographers and then get the CD - makes a great memento. If you'd like to play a game I can always write a birthday trivia test and e-mail it to you - I wrote one for my god daughter's girl scout troop's visit and they loved it.

Enjoy!

Kim

Oops! I guess I should have said special experiences instead of fun. Disneyland is always fun!!!!! I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I think it would definitely be fun if she got all dressed up at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and maybe we could all do it with her (so she's not too embarassed). We've eaten at almost every restaurant inside the parks as well as at the hotels (except Club 33), but going to a character breakfast is always fun and maybe each day we could have a nice dinner inside the park (Blue Bayou, Napa Rose, etc).

Thanks for these wonderful suggestions. It's getting my brain ticking and if anyone has any other crazy ideas, please continue suggesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimickey View Post
    Well, there's always a couple of my favorite free things - riding the tender car on the DLRR and getting a pilot's license on the Mark Twain - I have mine framed and hanging in my office, it even gets some comments.

Run all over the parks and get your photo taken with every character you can find by the DLR photographers and then get the CD - makes a great memento. If you'd like to play a game I can always write a birthday trivia test and e-mail it to you - I wrote one for my god daughter's girl scout troop's visit and they loved it.

Enjoy!

Kim
    Hi Kim, I didn't even know you could get your pilot's license on the Mark Twain. I am definitely interested in your birthday trivia test. I think that would be so much fun. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to see what you have.

I think I've realized that I should do simple things instead of something extravagant. It's the little things that make lasting memories. And I think the more silly we make it, the more fun we'll have. Thanks so much!

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by jackisync View Post
    Oops! I guess I should have said special experiences instead of fun. Disneyland is always fun!!!!! I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I think it would definitely be fun if she got all dressed up at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and maybe we could all do it with her (so she's not too embarassed). We've eaten at almost every restaurant inside the parks as well as at the hotels (except Club 33), but going to a character breakfast is always fun and maybe each day we could have a nice dinner inside the park (Blue Bayou, Napa Rose, etc).
    The 714-781-DINE makes reservations for both the Character Dinings and the Boutique. If you want to do both the Dining and Boutique, let them know and they will make both reservations. A lot of girls get all dressed up and turned into a princess at the Boutique and then have ther Dining experiences with the rest of the Disney Princesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    Roll your own.

Since you don't seem to be all that price sensitive, hire a couple of High School/College kids for the day (preferably ones with AP's). Let them do all the Fastpass runs (doubling the number of fastpasses you get). Let them save you primo spots for fireworks or Fantasmic, wait in lines for treats, carry your stuff, etc.... I'll bet you could get some willing volunteers for say $100 each?
    It's never even crossed my mind to hire a personal assistant for a day at DL; I'm excited about the prospects for this. I like the idea of having somebody carry my stuff around all day; I like to walk around unencumbered, but I do like to have my camera and related accessories available. And it would be like I was in two places at once. They can wait in line at the Bengal BBQ while I'm on Indiana Jones. They grab a spot for Fantasmic! while I ride POTC 7 times in a row.
    See the archive of my live trip report on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DLTripReport

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Host View Post
    I like the idea of having somebody carry my stuff around all day; I like to walk around unencumbered, but I do like to have my camera and related accessories available.
    Just in case anyone didn't know. You can have any items that you buy within the two parks and World of Disney that are non-perishable items (anything that is not food or drinks and some candies) and drop them off at certain shops within the resort to have them hold it there till you return. This is a free service.

The two most popular spots in Disneyland:

Newsstand (at the Main Entrance to Disneyland)
    Star Trader (Tomorrowland)

Other Spots:
    Small World Toy Shoppe (Fantasyland
    Pioneer Shop (Frontierland)

Engine Ear Toys (DCA)
    Last edited by Donald1980; 06-10-2009 at 08:03 PM.

• Ambassador of good will

take her to the corn dog castle, that'll cheer her up!!!!

would cheer me up

Some time at the spa after a day or two of lots of walking sounds like a good time to me! Mandara Spa at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

the number is there to make an appointment
    Shopping:

1. www.disneystore.com
    2. http://www.mouseshoppe.com
    3. http://www.laughingplacestore.com
    4. "Disneyland Delivears" (800) 362-4533, [email protected]

Want to learn how to live more healthy? www.losenowandkeepitoff.com for more info ([email protected])