Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Light up the HALO!

Should Disney Change DCA's name?

As we know, DCA now does not follow the California theme. The park is now a missmached park. I dont know how Cars land relates to Ca. Even the lands have no story. How does Sky School even belong in PP.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Should Disney Change DCA's name?

Well, let's see. It's Southern California. We do love our cars. The Piston Cup race was held (in the movie) at a California speedway. That's probably more connection than I can find for Finding Nemo in Tomorrowland!

I don't think any re-naming will work. At least people are familiar with DCA. Unless they gutted the entire place and started over, I can't see any advantage to ju st choosing a new name. But it will be interesting to see what people suggest.

• I'm not really here

Flight was more or less started in a seaside town, on the beach... Kitty Hawk, NC. Goofy's Sky Skool fits perfectly with the seaside pier theme. The pier theme fits perfectly into CA as well.

The concept of the freeway in America started in California. Cars are, and have been a massive part of California culture with Route 66 having one of its terminii there. While there may be much anecdotal evidence to support the actual film having taken place in AZ, that does not preclude the fact that cars and their stories are very much a part of California history.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I do think that disney is seriously looking at changing DCA's name when the first makeover phase is finished, including Cars Land and the new Entrance Plaza.

With the "new look" of the place, Disney wants to let folks that the parks has changed (and is better).

And I doubt calling it the "New Disney's California Adventure Park" will be the new name.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Do you realize how expensive it would be to not change the name but to change the entire theme?

• Hakuna Matata!

::shrug:: it's in California... it's sort of an Adventure... keep the name

• Closed Account

I can see this infront of the Esplanade going into the former DCA named park! Maybe with LUXOR JR. entering from the right side!
    P I X A R L A N D

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by junglecskipper View Post
    As we know, DCA now does not follow the California theme. The park is now a missmached park. I dont know how Cars land relates to Ca. Even the lands have no story. How does Sky School even belong in PP.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    With the "new look" of the place, Disney wants to let folks that the parks has changed (and is better).
    Yes, and for this reason I agree with changing the name. It is a complete rebranding job that is needed here. On a scale few have ever seen before.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Dream in wonderful color!

The California theme is staying. All the signs posted outside the Blue Sky Cellar make a reference to the California theme (cars, route 66, 1920s LA, Seaside Pier, etc). Also, don't forget the Grand Californian hotel that also ties into the theme park and is connected to it with a separate entrance.

• Silly Bird?

Disney could change the name and the mass public would not notice. They could rename it Pixar Adventure and claim that the name never changed and nobody would care.

What bugs me is that we all refer to it in speech as D.C.A., an acronym, and isn't that a sign of just how mediocre our expectations might have become? I never say, "let's go on P.O.T.C." and that name is much longer and has syllables than "California Adventure".

And can they please come up with a name that is grammatically streamlined already? Disneyland is perfect. You have Disney, a noun as an adverb and Land, a noun (place). That makes perfect sense. Disney's California Adventure is two adverbs and a noun that sounds like a verb. That's like changing Mike's Hard Lemonade to Mike's Hard Swill, yes swill is a kind of libation but it's also the ACT of drinking!
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

• Keepin' it calsteady

I know I've covered this before. To me it doesn't make sense to change the name because the improvements are being made incrementally.

If you change it before the changes are complete, people will show up to a "new" park that is still under construction and leave with a negative impression (again).

If you change it after the changes are complete, you will have spent years touting all the improvements to "Disney's California Adventure" only to then have to start over with "Disney's New Name Park" and convince people that this is the same park where are the improvements were made, but now it has a new name.

Neither one seems advantageous to me.

• The Dudester

I think the name is still appropriate, and changing it would be silly. Experiencing a theme park can be called an adventure and this one is presented by Disney in California. The name works, and is unique to our Resort. When someone's says "Disney's Hollywood Studios" one could say "Which resort is that park in again?" With Disney's California Adventure it is hard to not know. I think it's uniqueness within Disney's resorts is kind of cool, and the name is still catchy.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Mission Seagull View Post
    What bugs me is that we all refer to it in speech as D.C.A., an acronym, and isn't that a sign of just how mediocre our expectations might have become? I never say, "let's go on P.O.T.C." and that name is much longer and has syllables than "California Adventure".
    DCA is easier for some because it doesn't make sense to say "Let's go to Disney" or "Let's go to California" or "Let's go to Adventure". They could say "California Adventure" but it takes a bit of time. Per your example I am fairly confident most say "Let's go to Pirates" not "Let's go to Pirates of the Caribbean"... just something to think about!

Short breakdown of "Pro Change" vs "No Change"

Pro Change; It's redundant to have a California themed park IN California. It's a very limiting theme. It's a very broad theme that can't truly represent the diversity of California. Most attractions now don't even fit the theme.

No Change; It's a broad enough theme to cover a variety of aspects California and it's rich history. It wasn't a bad theme, just a bad execution. Most of the renovation is focusing on making the park more California so why invest in the park but not the name?

That's the basics. on that one.

Short Breakdown of Cars "In CA" vs "Out of CA"

"In CA"; The landscape surrounding Radiator Springs resembles California's desert. The architecture resembles buildings and desert towns in California that died due to the construction of the freeway.

"Out of CA"; Lightning broke down, didn't know where he was, and the comment in the courtroom was "headed to CA". No one corrected him and said he was in CA. The landscape surrounding Radiator Springs resembles Arizona Desert and several quotes indicate Arizona was the inspiration for the location.

If you do a search you can find extensive threads on both subjects with well through out arguments both for and against.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-11-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by Mission Seagull View Post
    Most people I know just say "let's go on Pirates" or "Hey, wanna go over to California Adventure?" Just like very few people Indy "The Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye" or Matterhorn "The Matterhorn Bobsleds" or Big Thunder "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad", etc, etc.

Use of abbreviations in no way correlates to some kind subconscious disdain. Was DCA as strong as it could have been to start? Of course not, but that is not illustrated by abbreviating its name

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast