Summer Nightastic! Trip Report

Along with what seemed like most of Southern California, I was at the Disneyland Resort Friday, June 12th to partake in the first opportunity to experience the new Summer entertainment package.

I'll start out by saying I didn't get to experience it all, nor did I try to do so. I figured I'd sample some now and save the rest for another visit. So all I'll be able to comment on from the new offerings is Disney's Electrical Parade enhancements, Fantasmic! and a few other odds and ends.

So first off, I have to say how pleased I was to see so many things working correctly. More than I'd seen for quite a while in fact. The Astro Orbitor looks fantastic. Despite the fact that it is still there in the same location, the paint scheme looks great and the fixed movement in the kinetic sculpture at the top creates so much energy for this area in the park. I also noticed that both monorail blue and orange were running all day long. Pixie Hollow's nighttime effects are also pretty neat for this small area. Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos to share. On a final odds and ends note, I finally got to see the Lilly Belle with my own eyes after a rumor was started here earlier this month. Thankfully, the Lilly Belle has not been touched and appears as it has since the 50th.

Ok, now on to the show!

You may remember, I posted a thread last month regarding the changes to the Baroque Hoedown with the sentiment that if it wasn't baroque, don't fix it (sorry that was horrible, but I couldn't resist). Anyways, as much as I wish show design had stayed with the older piece, the new additions to the show do create a more up-to-date experience which I highly recommend seeing, and once the parade gets started, you are so distracted anyway, that the music really takes a backseat. With that said, I still don't think this new arrangement will be making it to my ipod.

Now onto Fantasmic! First off, let me say that I was disappointed to read about "Murphy's" tragic situation earlier this week. And I was counting on a lesser experience in the show that night as a result. However, I can say I was plesantly surprised. The new Flotsom and Jetsom puppets (though a small part of the overall show) were really cool. The new crocodile following the Peter Pan portion was also a nice addition replacing the old static one. The new movements really complete the show nicely. Although there was no dragon in Friday's performances, the show still carried on well.

Now with that being said, traffic control was a mess, and Cast Members were not at all prepared for the hordes of masses who attended the event. The Electrical Parade started about 40 mins late due to technical difficulties, and I've heard rumors that Dumbo didn't make it to his show.

On the other end of the spectrum, there was a family from Kansas standing behind my girlfriend and I at Fantasmic! After the show was over, they were talking about how great it was and how that experience sealed the deal on staying the night and coming back the park the next day instead of going to Universal. Yes, it's great that we look at things critically on here and other websites, because it keeps Disney held to a higher standard of entertainment than any other company in the world and everybody wins; we get a better product, and Disney maintains their company image. However, once in a while, we all should take a step back, and just enjoy it for what it is: entertainment. It is all about that family from Kansas who just experienced something they couldn't find anywhere else, creating a memory their two sons would keep forever. To them, that show was complete, dragon or no.

Alright, I'll get off my soapbox now and let you all get on with your day. Hope everybody has a great weekend!

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Summer Nightastic! Trip Report

You are 100% correct. We get to go all the time. We read about stuff and get all exited if something is not going to work right or be missing. But in reality, it's all about the out of state/town/city/whatever people that are the ones you must think about. I am glad that the family had a great time and that Fantasmic Dragon or not, was a big hit with them and that they are going to stay the night and come back today. And I also think that Flotsom and Jetsom are awesome additions as is the new Tic Toc. Of course I want the Dragon too, but we will just have to wait and be patient.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Re: Summer Nightastic! Trip Report

[quote=villagecreator;1055387379]
    On the other end of the spectrum, there was a family from Kansas standing behind my girlfriend and I at Fantasmic! After the show was over, they were talking about how great it was and how that experience sealed the deal on staying the night and coming back the park the next day instead of going to Universal. Yes, it's great that we look at things critically on here and other websites, because it keeps Disney held to a higher standard of entertainment than any other company in the world and everybody wins; we get a better product, and Disney maintains their company image. However, once in a while, we all should take a step back, and just enjoy it for what it is: entertainment. It is all about that family from Kansas who just experienced something they couldn't find anywhere else, creating a memory their two sons would keep forever. To them, that show was complete, dragon or no.[quote]

Very good point villagecreator. It is so easy for us Disney fans to judge so quickly because we have such high expectations, but when seeing it through another person's eyes, it makes you realize just how cool all of this is and we appreciate it even more. My fiance likes Disney, but she is not a Disney freak like me. Whenever I introduce her to a new Disney movie or a new Disney ride and she ends up loving it, it makes me feel so good because I am enjoying it in a whole new light by seeing it through her eyes.