Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Question From A Twilight Zone Fanatic and Tower of Terror Coward

I'm a real Twilight Zone fanatic, but at this point in my life at least I am much too "chicken" to even think about riding the Tower of Terror.

I hav often wondered, though, if there is enough in the way of theming and such to make it worth my while to go through the queue, to the final "chicken out" exit?

Any thoughts?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: Question From A Twilight Zone Fanatic and Tower of Terror Coward

Yes, there is a "chicken" exit in the boiler room before the elevator.

As someone who was practically raised on The Twilight Zone, let me tell you that most of the theming related to the actual show itself really takes place mostly in the queue. My mom feels the same way as you do, and I'm always trying to get her to wait in the line with me just to see it. The ride itself doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything on the show; you wouldn't be missing anything as a Twilight Zone fan by not going on.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sis Rabbit View Post
    As someone who was practically raised on The Twilight Zone, let me tell you that most of the theming related to the actual show itself really takes place mostly in the queue. My mom feels the same way as you do, and I'm always trying to get her to wait in the line with me just to see it. The ride itself doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything on the show; you wouldn't be missing anything as a Twilight Zone fan by not going on.
    Thanks!

What kinds of things do they have in the queue? Can one take pictures?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Sonoma County, Ca. but born in Whittier, Ca.

There are several props in various locations throughout the queue. I believe the "Talking Tina" doll is in the lobby. The gold thimble from "the After Hours" episode is near the entrance to the library. There are several items on the shelves in the library. In the boiler room, there is a chalk mark on the wall and you can faintly hear the voice of the little girl from "Little Girl Lost". I actually believe that there is a website devoted to TOT that lists all of the Twilight Zone items. Yes...it is very much worth the wait through the queue and then "chickening out" to see this stuff. From one TZ fanatic to another.

• Premium Youngling and

I avoided this ride FOREEEVVERRRR because i was so scared of it
    And I went on it a couple years ago, and ended up absolutely loving it

• Circle of Ancients

Barry,

They will absolutely let you go through without riding, although you will still have to wait in the line.

In addition to the props mentioned above, there are quite a few in the library. I'd go towards the back of the library when you are in there (not close to the far door) so you can linger for a minute or two. If your not going to ride, you can maybe even ask the CM if you can watch the movie again, I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Yes you can take pics in the queue line and the boiler room.

• I'm not really here

I definitely recommend this queue to EVERYONE. It is a really atmospheric queue with some of the creepiest themeing if you let yourself get into it.

You can take pictures throughout the entire queue. They do ask you to not take pictures or video during the preshow video in the library though... and they are very strict about that. But before that video starts you can take pictures. There are props from the show (either real or replica) in there on the shelves.

The ride itself is only about 1 minute long and as much as I dislike drop rides, I love Tower of Terror. It's not for everyone, but definitely go through the queue... you will LOVE it, it's very worth it. There are lots of little things in the boiler room area and the lighting and sound design in there are pretty incredible.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Disneyland History Lover

The Twilight Zone is absolutely one of my favorite shows as well. It's been a few years since I've watched it, but me and my little brother used to stay up late on summer nights to catch two back-to-back episodes on Sci-Fi. Great times! The episode intro they show when you're in the library is pretty cool. It's obvious to me when the Rod Serling sound-alike is talking between shots of the real Mr. Serling since I've heard his voice so many times, but he does a good job overall.

I hadn't really looked in the queue for things that might relate to specific episodes, but now that I know there are a few things in there I'll definitely have to look for them next time I go through there. I love the ride as well. It's definitely one of the must-dos when I go into DCA, along with California Screamin' and Soarin'. It seems like it would be pretty scary to ride, but it's really not that bad. Raising your hands and legs really gives you the sensation of freefalling when the "elevator" drops. It's not too short of a ride either if you like to get the most out of a ride as I do.

Oh... and I *think* there's a hidden Mickey on the left side of the boiler room just above the boarding area the farthest to the left. It's a white spotlight with two blue spotlights positioned to look like ears. I've yet to hear anyone confirm that this is in fact a hidden Mickey, but I believe it may be.

• =)

Definitely do it! The interior theming in the queue is some of the finest to be found in DCA - it truly is Disneyland quality. As a Twilight Zone fan, you're sure to love it, even without riding the attraction.

That being said...I recommend giving the attraction a shot. I was scared my first time, since I'm generally not a fan of drop rides. But they never drop you the whole way at once - it's just a lot of shuddering up and down with a few slightly larger drops, and most of the time, you can't even see if you're high up or not. It's also a pretty short ride. I enjoy it, and there's a good chance you will, too. And if not, you'll never have to wonder...you can feel 100% good about your choice to not ride again!

• Silly Bird?

I don't know if you've got a real phobia about this ride Barry, but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that this is a modest drop ride, and that with a little grit you can ride this thing and be fine.

Plus, the forced perspective work of the hallways in the show area is mesmerizing, not to be missed.

Just take a friend with you, one that will let you squeeze their hand when you're feeling nervous and you'll be fine.
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mission Seagull View Post
    I don't know if you've got a real phobia about this ride Barry, but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that this is a modest drop ride, and that with a little grit you can ride this thing and be fine.

Plus, the forced perspective work of the hallways in the show area is mesmerizing, not to be missed.

Just take a friend with you, one that will let you squeeze their hand when you're feeling nervous and you'll be fine.
    Or do what I do and keep your eyes shut the entire time on the ride.

Actually I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse but the couple of times I've been on it thats what I've done.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Grim Grinning

The theming in the queue is pretty amazing all the way through. I too am a big chicken when it comes to that ride. I've done it twice and was ok with it but I'd rather pass. Sadly I promised I'd ride it on my next visit so if you're there when I am, I will hold your hand and we can scream our lungs out together.

• "Always On The Move..."

Barry,
    The queue is definitely worth going through...ESPECIALLY if your a fan of the show. I was like you, and was terrified to go on the ride itself..the first time scared the crap outta me, but I decided to do it again, and now I love it. If I was there when you are, I would be more than happy to go on it with you..(or even walk you through it and go through the chicken exit with you.) Good luck and enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Barry:

If you like Twilight Zone, you most definitely would love going through the queue. The library alone is worth the wait, and the detailing throughout is worth your time as well. You may even feel like going on the ride after spending your time in line, but if you don't, who cares?

Have fun!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast