Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• "Always On The Move..."

RUMOR!!! Rainforest Cafe Closing - Anyone Know

So sitting at dinner last night with friends, and one of them asked if I had heard about the Rainforest Cafe closing in DTD? I was there a couple of months ago (Rainforest Safari Member), and nothing was mentioned. As this is one of my "must go for breakfast" places... I'm hoping it's nothing more than a rumor.

So, figured I come here and ask. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Re: RUMOR!!! Rainforest Cafe Closing - Anyone Know

No.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

This is probably in relation to concerns over the future of Landry's Restaurants, the owner and operator of the Rainforest Cafe.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I don't think so -- I was there on June 4th and business was booming as usual...
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Here's my 2 cents

I was there today for lunch and it was crazy busy, but if it's being run by a bunch of knuckleheads it doesn't matter how busy it is.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• The Dudester

Opinions on its food aside, that is a well themed building and it would be a doozy of an effort to recontruct the place as something else. I've also enjoyed it the few times I've been there, and business is always very good. It's always a shame when successful locations go under due to failing parent companies.

The parent company of Rainforest Cafe, Landry's Restaurants based in Houston, has had ongoing financial problems for the past year. There have been rumors of banktrupcy and/or a selling off of their assets for some time.

Individual Rainforest Cafe's still do solid business, but the parent company as a whole is not doing well.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Well, just because the RFC at DTD is always busy does not mean that the chain as a whole is doing well. While the DTD location may be doing well the location at South Coast Plaza for example is always dead.

Also I have a freind who applied for their safari club or whatever it's called a very long time ago and has not heard anything so RFC might be going out of business after all.

And it is not impossible to tear down the building and build something brand new in its place. Many times department stores for example will move into vacant buildings, but at Fashion Island for example they tore down an entire, old Macys department store and are putting in a brand new Nordstrom in its place. So it can be done.

• or CBF

I would think Landry's next steps would be to close restaurants that weren't doing too good like the one at South Coast Plaza, and save the ones that are extremely busy, like the one in DTD, the two in WDW, etc., for last.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Minion

I know Landry's venture into Vegas hasn't turned out too well. They spend a fortune remodeling the Golden Nugget and judging by the $39 a night offers I receive every week, business isn't booming.
    Crazy Works For Me!

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Also I have a freind who applied for their safari club or whatever it's called a very long time ago and has not heard anything so RFC might be going out of business after all.

They may want to check on it again when they go to the restaurant. When I became a member they gave me my card right there. I know it was still being offered when I was last there.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Circle of Ancients

I've eaten there once about 4 or 5 years ago. Wasn't impressed.

• Top Chef

I got my membership card that night too , and then a hard plastic one weeks later. Did they pay for it upfront? I bought the card because I was pregnant and craving their BBQ Cheese Burger (It is AMAZING!) all the time. The card paid for it's self right away, and I got a $10 gift card too. It's been great to have during 2 birthday dinners there that I have been to. After I had my baby almost 3 months ago I've only been back once, but now that I am talking about it.. I want another burger!!

BTW Wow it's been awhile since I've posted anything on here. I've got Christmas Remy up, and Candlelight video link. Will change soon. LOL.

I like the Rainforest Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by caesarboxfan View Post
    I would think Landry's next steps would be to close restaurants that weren't doing too good like the one at South Coast Plaza, and save the ones that are extremely busy, like the one in DTD, the two in WDW, etc., for last.
    It's not that easy. That does not do anything to eliminate the mountain of debt they are.

There are only five Rainforest Cafes that are consistently busy and packed: Disneyland, Downtown Disney World, Animal Kingdom, Sawgrass Mills (Miami) and Mall of America (Minneapolis).

Outside of that the entire chain is a mess. Five restaurants are not going to save it. What we could see is the company go Chapter 7 and then incorporate the profitable restaurant into a new corporation, sort of like the current splitting of GM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast