Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Disney announces multi-phase Disneyland Hotel renovation beginning in August

I know of many other hotels that, upon recommendations from EDAW and other well-respected design firms, are replacing their existing reflective glass with transparent glass and are adding balconies in order to activate the faces of the structures, instead of allowing them to look like cold and impersonal office buildings in a corporate park.

Disney seems to be doing exactly the opposite by removing the existing balcony railings and the transparent glass.

• Having a Grand Day!

Re: Disney announces multi-phase Disneyland Hotel renovation beginning in August

Actually, looking at the photos it's very Deco - I wonder if this is going to filter down to the rest of the hotel... Would have been nice for them to go all Shag art and try and capture the hotel's original 1955 feel, but at the moment I just can't see full on Mid Century flying for the type of feel they are trying to create - It just comes off to much like a Route 66 motel than something just below the GCH.

Deciding to go down this route also means that Micktorian can be left for the Paradise Pier hotel's next incarnation, which makes more sense.

• Premium Youngling and

That room is absolutely GORGEOUS

And I love love love the picture of walt

• > 150 DL Trips & 3 to 33

I really like these rooms, very nice contemporary feel. I don't understand why some want the entire hotel demolished? Having a TDL hotel style in that space would really make the hotel look out of place.
    I would want to see a TDL style hotel built on the Lion King lot. The reason for wanting to tear it down would be a poor use of space.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    What happened to all the hype and rumors about DLH being bulldozed and replaced with a brand new hyper themed DLH that would be on par with Paris and Tokyo? Disney went the cheap route as usual
    I would not call it hype, but they were looking into this at one point and decided not to go that route at this time. These changes are the cheapest and quickest way to keep the hotel open and up-to-date.

• Tink 2 Three

I am curious about the fiber optics and the "immersive park experience." I wonder if they will just be a switch or programmed to go on at certain times.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Love love love the new room decor! I am bummed about losing the sliding glass doors --I love listening to the resort happenings outside.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Tourist

The new rooms look nice. I'm glad the new windows will keep the room quiet at night, but it was nice to have the option of opening them to hear the exterior sounds during the day.

One of the things I miss most about the old hotel is the iconic sign on top of the Sierra Tower.

My wife bought me a black & white photo on e-bay, showing the Sierra Tower with the old sign, and the great pool that was just east of the tower. I keep the photo on my bookshelf, and I often look at it and sigh.

• The Dudester

The sliding glass window was definitely one of my favorite parts during my stay last November. Very sad to see that go.

Very excited for the other upgrades though! Looks very cool! My only other concern is the potential of raising prices (I had to get an AP discount during slow season to even think about it last time!). But the pictures are gorgeous and I can't wait to stay there eventually. I already loved DLH as it was, and this looks like it will be even better!

I'd be content with all the new changes minus the removal of the sliding window, however... but I digress...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
    The new rooms look nice. I'm glad the new windows will keep the room quiet at night, but it was nice to have the option of opening them to hear the exterior sounds during the day.

One of the things I miss most about the old hotel is the iconic sign on top of the Sierra Tower.

My wife bought me a black & white photo on e-bay, showing the Sierra Tower with the old sign, and the great pool that was just east of the tower. I keep the photo on my bookshelf, and I often look at it and sigh.
    I remember that sign but Disney took it down to be in compliance with a sign ordinance that was passed by the City of Anaheim.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 06-17-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Completely agree with those who hope we don't lose the ability to have open windows. Our small family has been fortunate enough to have Sierra/Dreams as our Disneyland "home" for a few days, twice a year, for the last 5 or 6 years. We stay on the Downtown Disney side, and the FIRST thing we do when we get to the room - day or night - is open the windows. Hearing the sounds of the music and the bustle of the resort, feeling the energy of the DD district, being able to see the 3 "Disney Mountains" and the fireworks, without (even a transparent) barrier is a big part of the immersive magic of staying on-property. I'm not as cynical as many on the site in regards to Disney management, but I sincerely hope that this doesn't become a "premium experience"...although I fear that just staying on-property may become just that!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I am not entirely sure how I feel about all of the obvious Disney references. Its all a part of a bigger move where new Disney products are built just upon the nostalgia and "magic" of that which already exists instead of actually building and creating new environments that are able to stand on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    What happened to all the hype and rumors about DLH being bulldozed and replaced with a brand new hyper themed DLH that would be on par with Paris and Tokyo? Disney went the cheap route as usual
    Replacing the Disneyland Hotel with yet another "Mictorian" hotel would just be more cloning and making each resort the same.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by justliketink View Post
    I am curious about the fiber optics and the "immersive park experience." I wonder if they will just be a switch or programmed to go on at certain times.
    If I'm not mistaken, the DLH rooms currently have a borderprint with a similar light-up "pixie dust" effect, and I believe it's activated by a lightswitch, so it's likely the headboards will be activated the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I am not entirely sure how I feel about all of the obvious Disney references. Its all a part of a bigger move where new Disney products are built just upon the nostalgia and "magic" of that which already exists instead of actually building and creating new environments that are able to stand on their own.
    Even the original Disneyland Hotel was not without Sleeping Beauty Castle references, and the Hotel's previous incarnation had similar Mickey Glove lights... I think the designs are original enough to be remembered nostalgically years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the DLH rooms currently have a borderprint with a similar light-up "pixie dust" effect, and I believe it's activated by a lightswitch, so it's likely the headboards will be activated the same way.

Even the original Disneyland Hotel was not without Sleeping Beauty Castle references, and the Hotel's previous incarnation had similar Mickey Glove lights... I think the designs are original enough to be remembered nostalgically years from now.
    Nope. The pixie dust trail is just some little speckles of glow in the dark paint. The head board with fiber optic lighting is totally different and way cooler.

• Halloween 2011

There are reasons the sliding doors are going away. One of which would be possible energy savings on air conditioning - every time you folks open those windows all that chilled air vanishes. Another reason would be to prevent similar tragedies such as the suicide that happened in the last year or so.

The job is being done in phases to permit the Hotel to remain open, receiving guests, and hopefully remain solvent and profitable during the remodel. Closing all three towers or bulldozing them for new ones means Disney takes a huge hit in its profit margin. Disney Corp has to answer to its shareholders, after all.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast