Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney announces multi-phase Disneyland Hotel renovation beginning in August

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    There are reasons the sliding doors are going away. One of which would be possible energy savings on air conditioning - every time you folks open those windows all that chilled air vanishes. Another reason would be to prevent similar tragedies such as the suicide that happened in the last year or so.
    Maybe there are other "reasons," but as a frequent DLH guest for 40 years I'm not buying either of the ones you gave. Room AC can be controlled in a cost effective manner, sliding glass doors or no. And in all the years since the Sierra Tower went up in the 60's -- and after the hotel has hosted literally millions of guests -- the number of suicides at the DLH has been vanishingly small. If someone wants to kill themselves at the DLH, they'll do it, sliding glass doors or no.

Meanwhile those of us who for decades have loved having the sounds and energy of the park in our rooms and taking panorama shots from our balconies -- and even feeding the occasional pigeons that fly in -- are SOL.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Disney announces multi-phase Disneyland Hotel renovation beginning in August

I like the new designs but they seem more appropriate for the Contemporary hotel at WDW than a classic old hotel at Disneyland. While I'm sure it will be just fine and very popular, a cool 1955 retro type design could have been awesome!

But none of it really matters, this is just a placeholder move until the whole thing can be bulldozed and rebuilt in the next decade. These are really quick and cheap changes compared to the total rebuild which will need to happen eventually to replace these rapidly aging hotel buildings.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    If someone wants to kill themselves at the DLH, they'll do it, sliding glass doors or no.
    I'm sorry I would have to disagree with this statement. Psychologists have determined that if their are more opportunities (ie. balconies, bridges) the mentality of someone who is either suicidal or depressed increases thoughts of suicides. Basically, having a balcony may make it easier for these kinds of things to happen. Now I'm not saying this is the reason for the change, but I'm sure it was a factor.
    Jeff Wayne

• Senior Minion

Maybe there are other "reasons," but as a frequent DLH guest for 40 years I'm not buying either of the ones you gave. Room AC can be controlled in a cost effective manner, sliding glass doors or no. And in all the years since the Sierra Tower went up in the 60's -- and after the hotel has hosted literally millions of guests -- the number of suicides at the DLH has been vanishingly small. If someone wants to kill themselves at the DLH, they'll do it, sliding glass doors or no.

Meanwhile those of us who for decades have loved having the sounds and energy of the park in our rooms and taking panorama shots from our balconies -- and even feeding the occasional pigeons that fly in -- are SOL.

I'd be willing to bet it is indeed for energy consumption purposes. I think your frustration about Disney in general and personal preference for the windows is clouding your judgement about this one. I'm pretty sure that's why they decided to go with non-operable windows.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

My mother used to clean an appartment on about the 10th floor. It was hard work and scary to be on the 10th floor and clean the sliding doors on the outside. There is the possibility that Disney rather not have the risk or cost of having balconies. Another problem could be security measures because a burglar it would be easy to use the balconeys to access rooms. There may be zoning issues involved or insurance consts. They might save money on insurance by not having sliding glass doors and balconeys

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I am really surprised that people find the decor contemporary modern. This is very classic design. Though it does remind me of a Marriott a little LOL!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think your frustration about Disney in general and personal preference for the windows is clouding your judgement about this one.
    The truth of it is simpler than that: the Disneyland Hotel has been one of my top go-to places for 40 years of my life. In return for its high prices, it has offered tremendous vacation value. Taking panoramic photos, having room service dinners at the balcony, and taking a noontime nap with the Mark Twain's whistle wafting through the sliding glass doors have been a key part of that value. Sealing the windows significantly diminishes the value of the experience I've enjoyed.

I'd be willing to bet it is indeed for energy consumption purposes. ... I'm pretty sure that's why they decided to go with non-operable windows.
    Crying poor for Disney's bottom line, are we? But I'm sure you're right, that's undoubtedly the key reason.

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

The truth of it is simpler than that: the Disneyland Hotel has been one of my top go-to places for 40 years of my life. In return for its high prices, it has offered tremendous vacation value. Taking panoramic photos, having room service dinners at the balcony, and taking a noontime nap with the Mark Twain's whistle wafting through the sliding glass doors have been a key part of that value. Sealing the windows significantly diminishes the value of the experience I've enjoyed.

Crying poor for Disney's bottom line, are we? But I'm sure you're right, that's undoubtedly the key reason.

Well, I agree, it would be nice to have operable windows, you do make some good points for them. But they are not only saving money, we do need to save energy, even if we can afford to pay for it. They are also wisely touting the green aspects in the new windows and many of the other things they are doing which is good PR. So it's not entirely a bad thing, it should actually provide better overall guest comfort. But I can understand why people would like the windows to be operable and would probably prefer the option to open them as well. Unfortunately it has become rare in hotels in general, even many that were designed to open are now screwed shut.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Well, I agree, it would be nice to have operable windows, you do make some good points for them. But they are not only saving money, we do need to save energy, even if we can afford to pay for it. They are also wisely touting the green aspects in the new windows and many of the other things they are doing which is good PR. So it's not entirely a bad thing, it should actually provide better overall guest comfort. But I can understand why people would like the windows to be operable and would probably prefer the option to open them as well. Unfortunately it has become rare in hotels in general, even many that were designed to open are now screwed shut.
    True enough. And, more than once over the years we've had to call security to report kids in the room above ours tossing soap, towels and toys between the bars of their balcony into our room. Still, that unique ambiance -- the special feeling of physical connection to the Park -- will be missed. Less so now that DTD sprawls beneath your window, but missed nonetheless.

- Neil Gabler

Its stated in the press release that the removal of the doors will allow them to manage the energy of each room more efficiently and that each room will have a sensor to maintain a steady environment. If there was sliding doors i am sure it would be more dificult to maintain the rooms temperature consistently.

Another thing to consider besides energy efficiency is overall cleanliness of the rooms. With large open doors the rooms are more susceptible to outside environment. I am sure that an enclosed room will maintain a cleaner appearance.

The elimination of the sliding doors also probably gave them a few more inches of room space when it came time for coming up with an interior design.

there is one thing i am positive of though, no more looking up and seeing guests in their underwear standing in the balcony. It was especially disturbing when one man not too many floors up was standing against the rail wearing some very loose boxers.

Another time a couple had decide to leave the curtain open while they were wondering around their room in their birthday suite. The tinted windows should at least help blur out some disturbing images

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by TDRFAN25 View Post
    does anybody know where i can buy this poster which is in the background? Do they sell it at the park?

The picture of Walt in casual wear walking through the Castle Portcullis at Oh-Dark-Thirty on an overcast morning? I've seen it for sale as a poster, best bet is to check at Disneyana on Main Street.

I know they had it as a T-shirt at Disneyana - One of the few times I paid Full Price (Less AP Discount) for a shirt, rather than gamble on it showing up at the Outlet Store. Wonder where it went, hasn't surfaced in a while...
    Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    My mother used to clean an apartment on about the 10th floor. It was hard work and scary to be on the 10th floor and clean the sliding doors on the outside. There is the possibility that Disney rather not have the risk or cost of having balconies. Another problem could be security measures because a burglar it would be easy to use the balconies to access rooms. There may be zoning issues involved or insurance costs. They might save money on insurance by not having sliding glass doors and balconies
    AFAIK Disney is self-insured, lots of huge corporations are - they have enough money to pay the claims themselves. Probably has a Reinsurance policy with a $10 million deductible as a backup.

People who want to exit this world with a swan dive have many more choices than just the DLH hotel room balconies. IIRC the Mickey & Friends Structure has been used for that purpose at least once, and there are lots of other opportunities at the parks and resort hotels.

I can think of a dozen places off hand, could probably come up with another two dozen with a little macabre research - and of course I am NOT going to publish a list.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I'll second that, having gotten engaged in one of those rooms and having watched the fireworks that night from our room next to the railing. I'm also not a fan of air-less hotel rooms, should the power go out on a nice warm night. Maybe more hotels are moving in this direction due to liability issues, but I'll really miss the sounds of Disneyland from the hotel, as others have noted.

But...they will sure LOOK nicer.

• Laughing Place Finder

I think they did a good job with the redesign. The decor looks great and switching to a flatscreen TV should make a nice gain in square footage.

That said I am incredibly sad to hear that the sliding glass doors and balconies are going away. In April we finally had a chance to stay in a high level room in the Dreams Tower.

I can tell you in the dozens of trips we've made to the Disneyland Resort Hotels we've never had an experience as wonderful as when we returned to our room each night, opened the windows, turned the TV to the fireworks soundtrack channel and watched the fireworks from our room.

No matter how they remodel the rooms, taking away the sliding glass doors means this experience will now be a thing of the past except for the few Downtown Disney View Grand Californian rooms that have this option.

And as nice as the new fiber optic headboards are I'm really going to miss the Tinkerbell pixie dust glow in the dark wallpaper borders. Those were always a nice touch that said "You are at the Disneyland Hotel." It always made us feel the Disney magic.

I'm going to really miss throwing open the windows, feeling the fresh breeze on my face and seeing these panoramic views:

Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Senior Minion

^ Nice panoramas Darth! It's making me incredibly sad too -- not only to lose the sliding glass doors but to see what the new windows look like.

From Al's post:

To me they look like blue plastic from the outside. But what's worse is what it does to the view from the inside. Talk about ruining our view of Disneyland and making picture-taking impossible!

- Neil Gabler

• Laughing Place Finder

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Wiggins. I'm glad I thought to take some panoramic shots when I had the chance. I agree with you 100% that taking pictures of the parks and downtown Disney from these new room windows will be darn near impossible.

We'll see what kind of panoramic shots I can take at Grand Californian Hotel at the end of summer. Here's one last panoramic shot you might enjoy.

Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast