Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Disney announces multi-phase Disneyland Hotel renovation beginning in August

Disney issued a press release today announcing the major Disneyland Hotel renovation.

Landmark Disneyland Hotel to Undergo Significant Renovation
    Historic hotel to feature considerable changes to guest rooms, exterior

ANAHEIM, CALIF. June 16, 2009 – Beginning in August 2009, Southern California’s landmark Disneyland Hotel will start a significant renovation project that will include major improvements to its guest rooms and considerable changes to the exterior of the hotel. The hotel will remain open during the renovation, which will be conducted in phases, and is scheduled to be completed in 2012.

“We are excited to embark on the largest and most extensive renovation of one of Disney’s classic hotels,” said Disneyland Resort President Ed Grier. “This renovation provides us with the opportunity to bring new magic to this historic hotel, which enables us to enhance the Disney experience that our guests have come to expect. “It also reinforces our ongoing commitment and investment in the Anaheim Resort District – working with the city and area businesses to continue to evolve the District into a world-class, multiday tourist destination,” added Grier.

Significant Guest Room Upgrades, New Room Amenities and Exterior Enhancements
    Disneyland Hotel’s renovated guest rooms will feature an all-new contemporary look with exquisite Disney touches woven into the décor. A stunning new headboard that features an artistically carved representation of Disneyland Park’s famous Sleeping Beauty Castle will serve as the focal point in each guest room. The background on the headboard uses fiber optics to create a magical skyline with fireworks – bringing the immersive park experience into the room. Rooms also will feature black and white art that will take guests back in time, reinforcing the nostalgia and history of Walt’s first theme park.

When completed, guest rooms will boast new flat screen TVs, mini-refrigerators, coffeemakers, safes capable of holding laptop computers and new state-of-the-art telephone, cable and wireless Internet connections. Upgrades to plumbing, electrical and heating and air conditioning systems also are included in the project.

Disneyland Resort’s original hotel, built in 1955, also will experience a noteworthy change to its exterior. All of the three towers will feature an updated look, with large windows that will give the outside a sleek, radiant blue tint. The windows will replace the current sliding doors and faux balcony railings and are specially designed to be energy efficient and to extensively filter outside noise.

“The new design for the hotel’s exterior will enhance the existing towers and compliment the Resort as a whole. The windows will feature a sky blue reflective glass that channels the feel of our bright California sky,” said Mike Montague, director of resort development for Walt Disney Imagineering.

The Disneyland Hotel is composed of three main structures – the Magic, Wonder and Dreams towers. Construction will take place in one vertical half of a tower at a time – leaving the rest of the tower open for guests. The Dreams tower will be the first to be renovated and is scheduled to be completed in June 2010.

Popular Choice for Convention Visitors
    In addition to being a top choice for vacationing families, the Disneyland Hotel has long been a favorite for meeting and convention planners because of its prime location and size – and direct access to more than 136,000 square feet of convention space. Anaheim hosts hundreds of groups each year and the renovation will help maintain the city’s premiere position as a meeting destination.

“We are thrilled with Disney’s plans to renovate the Disneyland Hotel,” said Charles W. Ahlers, president of the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau. “With the renovation of the hotel and the expansion of Disney’s Grand Californian, coupled with other new hotel developments that are coming to Anaheim over the next few years, our city will continue to be a premier destination for convention and meeting planners.”

Energy Efficient Enhancements
    As with other construction and enhancements that are underway throughout the Disneyland Resort, the renovation will include energy efficient upgrades. The most notable feature will be the hotel’s new windows. With their reflective capabilities and double-pane glass, the windows will change the look of the exterior of the hotel dramatically, while reducing energy consumption by keeping guest rooms at the desired temperature.

The use of occupancy sensors in guest rooms, low-flow toilets, energy efficient light bulbs and paint low in volatile organic compounds are just a few more of the ways that the hotel will offer guests a “green” lodging experience.

Renovation is Part of Larger Resort Expansion
    The Disneyland Hotel renovation is a part of a larger expansion project underway throughout the Resort. Disney’s California Adventure Park is undergoing a multiyear expansion project that includes new experiences, attractions and night-time spectaculars, culminating in 2012 with the opening a brand new land – Cars Land. The four-star Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is also undergoing an expansion, adding 200 hotel rooms and 50 two-bedroom villas that are part of the Disney Vacation Club, which will make its first West Coast debut when it opens in the fall of 2009.

LA Times Funland blogger Brady MacDonald talked about the renovation:

Disneyland Hotel to get long-overdue makeover
    The long-anticipated renovation of the Disneyland Hotel will begin in phases in August and is scheduled to wrap up in time for the 2012 debut of Cars Land at Disney’s California Adventure.

Built in 1955, the old and outdated hotel — which Disney euphemistically calls “historic” — has been showing its age for years.

The major rehab features extensive interior and exterior facelifts and a complete infrastructure upgrade — including a much-needed overhaul of the plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning systems.

Construction will proceed at one vertical half of a tower at a time — starting with the Dreams tower, which is scheduled to be completed by June 2010. The Magic and Wonder towers will follow. The hotel and all three towers will remain open throughout construction.

Each renovated room will feature a flat-screen TV, wireless Internet connections and a Sleeping Beauty Castle headboard with a fiber-optic fireworks display.

Gone from the exterior are the sliding-glass doors and faux balcony railings, replaced by large, blue-tinted windows.

All photos © Disney
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 06-16-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added more pictures

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• We Go On.

Re: Disney announces multi-phase Disneyland Hotel renovation beginning in August

Beautiful! Can't wait! This is better than I expected. Looks like they are making this to last a long time.

• "I Break Things"

Re: Disney announces multi-phase Disneyland Hotel renovation beginning in August

If the post was a direct Disney press release then it looks like Cars-land may not change it's name. Then again there is still time.

The mockups in the picture look nice. Thank you MG.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-16-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

That is a gorgeous headboard! I want one in my Disney room. I love the colors, everything. It's subtle and not over the top yet VERY much Disney. It looks comfortable and inviting. I can't wait to see one in person. I'm really excited for this project.

Doing it in 1/6... interesting. Trying to keep as many of the rooms open as possible.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

The upgrade sounds great. But I'll miss the sliding glass doors. Our favorite thing was staying high up in the Sierra Tower facing the park, opening the glass doors and hearing the Mark Twain steam whistle. The northeast corner of the Bonita Tower was even better -- you could hear the Mark Twain from one balcony and the Dancing Waters show from the other.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

That is so awesome. It's going to be beautiful! And hopefully it will compare to other nearby hotels. I wonder if this will increase the cost for staying there?

• Having a Grand Day!

Looks wonderful! It channels Disney's Contemporary Resort but with a magical touch - I guess they are attempting to get a better share of the convention crowd that populates both. Also nice to see they are actually investing in the rooms to make them last - Hopefully we see things like proper HDTV and IP phones.

Will be fun to see the renders of what the new exteriors and public areas look like - they really need to be ruthless with the tower lobbies and the convention buildings, especially the area around Goofy's.

I will really miss the doors being open. I liked they way the rooms would open out into the air without a balconey. I really like the look of the new rooms. Not so flowery.

Red Face Re: Disney announces multi-phase Disneyland Hotel renovation beginning in August

Great!! Except for one small item. Me. I have reservations for August. Am I going to have construction "ities" I am saving up big time to take the Princess Granddaughter here for a week. This will be our first time at Disneyland.

• Here's my 2 cents

'bout time!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by roxy72 View Post
    That is so awesome. It's going to be beautiful! And hopefully it will compare to other nearby hotels. I wonder if this will increase the cost for staying there?
    Magic 8 Ball says "It is certain"
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

I wonder what the budget is, any idea?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Fantastic! The only hesitation is that I'm going to miss that classic-ride bed spread but that headboard is something!!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I am surprised they have not shown the other photos that they posted on the hub.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• We Go On.

Is there any concept art for the exterior? We've seen the individual rooms on the actual towers, but I'm curious to see what they envision for its completion.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast