Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Parmageddon Jim

Re: Disneyland Ride Water

When I was a sweeper ('80-'82) the color of the water at Thunder was sometimes blue, sometimes coppery. Could be the blue dye was leftover from that.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

If someone wanted to find out exactly what is in the water at any ride or attraction, I'm sure it's on file over at City Hall, and they probably have the MSDS there for every product too.

(Note to the Guides here: And if they don't, they better get to working on it before someone asks - it is a logical question...)

The "AquaShade" water dye is a standard item for pond weed control, they use it to block the light from getting down to lake-bottom weeds so they don't take root, and to stop any and algae growth in the water.

Though I'm looking for a supplier that stocks it as a dry powder in the big paper sacks, and in red. It usually comes in black or blue, and either liquid by the gallon, or in little (5-pound?) plastic bags to treat one acre-foot. The big sacks probably come straight from a textile dye manufacturer like Orco, they are used to working in bulk...

I doubt they use chlorine or bromine or even ozone for the larger bodies of water that have fish and frogs and turtles and ducks - fish do not react well to chlorine, and dead fish floating around is not a good thing...

I suspect they might be using an enzyme based biological treatment and clarifier in the water to break down the dead weeds and digest the fish and duck... Stuff. Discharge. Then they don't have to do nearly the level of filtration required for a chlorinated system.

The clear water systems for Pirates, Small World, Splash, Matterhorn, Grizzly River... Think "Swimming Pool Chemicals". They can't use anything you wouldn't find down at the public pool, then they don't have to worry about accidental exposure to the water.

But water maintained at swimming quality has to be filtered and treated a lot - they probably have to do "two turns a day" of those systems, just like a public pool. The filter system has to be large enough, and the pumps run long enough each day to run the entire contents through the filter bed twice a day.

Oh, and they can probably use cheaper sand filters everywhere - except Nemo Submarines where you are looking through the water at the show elements. There they really need the added clarity of a Diatomaceous Earth filter getting all the fine dirt particles out of the water, at least as a finishing filter after the sand beds get out the "big chunks".

They could use a flocculant compound in the return line from the Lagoon to clump up all the suspended dirt out of the water so the sand filters can collect it... But the flocculant that gets past the sand filters (and a lot will) makes the dirt clump together out in the lagoon, it all falls on the floor and makes that look like heck. Then they have to start vacuuming the lagoon floor every week... Can't win for losing.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    If someone wanted to find out exactly what is in the water at any ride or attraction, I'm sure it's on file over at City Hall, and they probably have the MSDS there for every product too.

(Note to the Guides here: And if they don't, they better get to working on it before someone asks - it is a logical question...)

The "AquaShade" water dye is a standard item for pond weed control, they use it to block the light from getting down to lake-bottom weeds so they don't take root, and to stop any and algae growth in the water.

Though I'm looking for a supplier that stocks it as a dry powder in the big paper sacks, and in red. It usually comes in black or blue, and either liquid by the gallon, or in little (5-pound?) plastic bags to treat one acre-foot. The big sacks probably come straight from a textile dye manufacturer like Orco, they are used to working in bulk...

--<< Bruce >>--
    Aquashade also provides the sacks in a dry powder form called "Aquashadow"

Most of the dye Disney uses is Blue. The only reason it looks green is because the the river is constantly being churned and there is pumps at the bottom in some other ponds that blow water across the bottom to stir up the dirt so it doesn't settle. The dirt mixes with the blue, (dirt obviously has a light brownish color in the water) which makes the water appear green. If you look at older pictures from Disneyland before they used the dye, you can see a majority of the water looked kind of like light chocolate milk from the dirt. Just add blue to it and you get green.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Huh. I always thought it was a green dye. I remember when the filled up ROA for the first time in 2003 after the big refurb and the water was definitely green.

If I'm not mistaken, the big mound where Cascade Peak once was, is a chlorinating system for ROA, putting in chemicals just enough to keep bacteria down and such, but not enough to kill of the fish in the river. It's too bad Cascade peak isn't around, because that was really the big filter for ROA with it's intake near Big Thunder falls and the maintenance guys would have to scrape off all the muck and leaves from the intake screen all the time. The river would be a whole lot cleaner if those falls still rumbled on that bend in the river...

• Shifting cargo

Yes, the water definitely have chemicals like chlorine in them. My brother actually filled up a water bottle with POTC water and it smelled... well... like chlorine. It also smelled just like the ride Yet, the water he took from Splash Mountain didn't smell like anything... hmmmmmm

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• "I Break Things"

Just to toss this in there as well. I've seen the Jungle waters 4 different colors.

• Red- was an accident and only in certain areas where the dye was applied. Due to the overall concentration of green it disapated quickly

• Blue- as in "Kool-Aid" blue, came over the falls that way on a couple occasions. Very noticable from the standard Green

• Purple- we're not talking dark blue sort of purple, we're talking "Barney Purple". This happened several times when we walked in to open Jungle. To this day we have no clue what in Disneyland would require purple dye.

• Green- standard color of Jungle.

I don't even pretend to know how the different dyes interact with the water. I know that as the dye dissipates (fades) the water turns a murky clear color. If I remember it took about a month or so for this to happen. The dye prevents the Guest from seeing what's in the water (plant debris), and to some degree guessing how deep the water is (3ft-9ft). Without the dye it is clear enough to see the bottom in some shallow areas (Elephant pool comes to mind) or see the mechanisms for various creatures (Piranhas, Elephants, Hippos)

As to MSDS, I tried to get the documentation for the water but Disney cited it simply as "industrial water". You can pull the MSDS for the various things that would go into the water (dye, insecticide etc) but Disney did not have an actual MSDS for the water because it's chemical composition changes. I requested this to verify if Disney documents disel spills... which have happened in the past. At the time they did not, and Management was notified due to a possible request from DOSH (fumes from disel spills had made Skips pretty sick).
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

I would suggest that anybody keep their skin away from the water in the Rivers of America especially in the summer. There are often times dead fish and ducks found floating about there but are usually cleared before the park opens. Also since the RoA don't seem to be drained as often anymore who knows what is lurking at the bottom of that thing. It is a ritual for Canoe Guides that leave the attraction to, on their last day, get dipped (dive in to the river and have a swim). I witnessed this ritual as a buddy of mine was getting deployed to Iraq and it was his last day. The guy got a skin rash and the flu for a few days after doing this.

There is a very wise saying amongst canoe guides which is this "Always wash your hands BEFORE going to the bathroom if you work on the river."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12