Is there such a thing..

...as starting to plan a DLR trip too early? For those of you who live 1500+ miles away, how far in advance do you normally start to plan a trip to the park? My husband's birthday is in May, and next year we would like to go then for about 5 days, although no tentative plans have been set.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Is there such a thing..

Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as planning too early. The one thing you have to be aware of is that the refurbishment schedules and park hours won't be added to the website until much closer to the trip.

But, it can't hurt to at least look at hotels, restaurants, etc beforehand and develop a plan of attack.

NNL and I live 3000 miles away, and while we haven't planned anything yet for our next trip, we've know the next time we'll be out there is for the MC anniversary at the end of January. We've known that for a while, but can't plan anything based on details, work schedules, etc.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, at least you know where to ask.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Yeah, the only thing I'm worried about is we'll book everything super early, and a bunch of awesome rides will be down the week we go >.<

I hear ya...we live in Edmonton...you don't want to go all that way for half of a functioning park! We started planning and researching very early (a year + in advance), but didn't book airfare until about 3-5 months in advance. You may want to book a hotel room a lot earlier to ensure you get a room at the hotel of your choice.

I do hear May is lovely time to go.

• back in Austin

There are a few things that can and should be planned way in advance, like reservations for special tours or things like balcony seating for Fantasmic! (back when there was such a thing).

I started planning my WDW trip 9 months in advance!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Heck, I plan years in advance!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Storyteller

Depending on what time you're going in May, some attractions might be unavailable. If you're going later in the month you should be fine, but it's possible a few major attractions could be closed earlier in preparation for summer. You never really know though until very close to the date (as they change all the time) so all you can do is plan it and hope the cards are in your favor.

• Returning to DL 2/29

Planning things is a good Idea but just remember things can or will not go to plan it is just the nature of planning things but be creative to have a plan b or c d e and so fourth and so on
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanefreak View Post
    Planning things is a good Idea but just remember things can or will not go to plan it is just the nature of planning things but be creative to have a plan b or c d e and so fourth and so on
    IMHO, this is one of the better reasons to plan early. That way if/when things change, you still have time to adjust the plan (So long as there aren't any non-refundable plans made)

I usually start planning at least 6 months out so I can more easily budget for it and pay for it in phases. I find that it's less stressfull on your budget if the room and airfare / Travel costs are paid for well before the trip actually happens. That way, all you need to worry about right before the trip is park admission and fun / food money.
    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993
    2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014

Walt Disney World
    2000, 2001