Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: STOP!: DCA's Carthay Circle Theater tower isn't good enough

I would rather have something else

• HauntedOne999

I personally like the idea of the Carthay... I just hope they do end up with the Walt Disney Story in it... from what I have heard from leads - WDI has inventoried the Walt Disney office furnature and there still are loose plans on moving them to the Carthay.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Returning to DL 2/29

I like the theater more nostalgia to DCA I wish we still had the red trolley cars
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

I think the theater is perfect. Like others have said, it's nostalgic, thematically appropriate and classy. Overall I think the entire transition from MS USA to BVS will be very subtle and very well done.

I think the "postcard" idea could have worked well if it was more rich and detailed, which could have been done, but oh well ...

The only thing I could think of to improve the BVS entrance plans would be to add either boutique hotel rooms or DVC units to the second/third stories of the entrance ... this does wonders in adding a bit of energy and the illusion of a "real city" to Mediterrenean Plaza at TDS.

• =)

I like the theater as they're planning on building it. =) It'd be nice to have something really great inside, but even just as a pretty weenie, I'll be happy with it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanefreak View Post
    I like the theater more nostalgia to DCA I wish we still had the red trolley cars
    Wait are they ditching the trolley idea? Honestly that thing was doomed from the start. I can't believe the clung onto that dream for so long.

As far as the Carthay theatre, it's a perfect fit. It's an icon of CA long past and had an extensive history of premiering Disney films. I'm pretty sure it won't open as an attraction but will eventually have some sort of show inside. The Main ST oprea house was the same way until the movie "Babes in Toyland" came out. The oprea house promoted the film in the form of a walk thru attraction with set pieces from the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    Wait are they ditching the trolley idea? Honestly that thing was doomed from the start. I can't believe the clung onto that dream for so long.
    The Red Line Trolley is still being built ... I believe the roundhouse is being built for it as we speak, actually. I think the poster referred to us not having the Red Line Trolley actually in Los Angeles anymore.

If you haven't watched the movie "Changeling" with Angelina Jolie, go watch it. The LA Red Line Trolley is featured prominently in many scenes of the movie, along with an overall 1920's vibe. Sure, it's a sad sad movie but it did get me excited about BVS.

The Trolley at DCA is not doomed at all, any more than the Horse-Drawn Streetcars on MS USA are. The situation that led to the Jolly Trolley getting axed are entirely, entirely different.
    Last edited by WJNM; 06-23-2009 at 04:20 PM.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    The Red Line Trolley is still being built ... I believe the roundhouse is being built for it as we speak, actually.
    Where?

The Trolley at DCA is not doomed at all, any more than the Horse-Drawn Streetcars on MS USA are. The situation that led to the Jolly Trolley getting axed are entirely, entirely different.
    What's the difference then?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

If you haven't watched the movie "Changeling" with Angelina Jolie, go watch it. The LA Red Line Trolley is featured prominently in many scenes of the movie, along with an overall 1920's vibe. Sure, it's a sad sad movie but it did get my excited about BVS.
    True, for a red car trolley photo and more check out:

'Changeling': Clint Eastwood's California Adventure - 5/20/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/movies/96...adventure.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Where?
    I believe it is a portion of Timon lot behind ToT ... not 100% sure, but that's what I've heard second-hand and seen a couple pics of.

What's the difference then?
    1) While all areas in Anaheim are admittedly small (meaning we don't have the sprawling space of WDW's MS USA or TDS' Cape Cod to New York for the Big City Vehicles), the walking area from the Mickey Fountain to the Roger Fountain in Toontown (the two respective stations for the Jolly Trolley) is much, much shorter than from Town Square to Central Plaza. The JT's length was about a third of the Main Street Vehicles' traveling length, actually. This created less of an actual logical excuse for transportation between the two areas.

The Red Car route, assuming it goes from the front area of the new, expanded DCA entrance to the base of Hyperion Theater, will be about as long as the Main Street Vehicles route. If, as some rumors indicate, the Red Car will go to the base of Tower of Terror or even Cars Land, then it will cover a significantely greater distance, obviously.

2) Taking into consideration the smaller length of area that the Trolley traveled, it is also important to note in conjuncture with this that Mickey's Toontown is a small area with often very significant crowds. These crowds, I do believe, pack in more people in a smaller area than MS or BVS. While the MSV usually cease operation during exceptionally crowded times or when people are going to pack in the area (closing, parades, fireworks), the crowds in Toontown are nearly always horrible; at least to the point where operating such a short transport in small space is really illogical.

3) Let's not forget to take the kids into consideration. While parents do let their kids run off and/or ignore them (or not watch their surroundings) on MS USA and in DCA, this is arguably much MORE of a problem in Toontown. It's overly kid-friendly, has one entrance, and is a giant playground - this encourages parents to let their kids run off, and of course causes kids to focus on one bright, shiny thing and run towards it - even if it is in the path of a 1-ton trolley.

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanefreak View Post
    The Red Car line is still around.

In 2005 as part of the Harbour Revitalization Project, San Pedro opened a 1.5 mile stretch of the original line. The line is made of 1 original and 2 reproductions. Currently there are plans to expand the line to reach into Willmington usuing other parts of the original rail that are left. And also there is a museum that is to be built in conjunction with the Orange Empire Railway Museum.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Special Agent

I believe it is a portion of Timon lot behind ToT ... not 100% sure, but that's what I've heard second-hand and seen a couple pics of.
    I'm not really sure either but all I've heard suggest they are simply working on underground plumbing/drainage and electrical work in preparation for the expansion. No buildings have been started yet.

1) While all areas in Anaheim are admittedly small
    2) Taking into consideration the smaller length of area that the Trolley traveled, it is also important to note in conjuncture with this that Mickey's Toontown is a small area with often very significant crowds.
    3) Let's not forget to take the kids into consideration. While parents do let their kids run off and/or ignore them (or not watch their surroundings) on MS USA and in DCA, this is arguably much MORE of a problem in Toontown.
    I don't really buy it as being radically different. Hollywood is pretty darn close to the same concept of Toontown and it's main drag is almost just as small and narrow. There are character meet n greets on the boulevard, character shows, and then the big Playhouse Disney show. With the Hyperion down the street and Award Wieners on the side, that one street is probably one of the busiest places in the park aside from Main Street.

I think given the option, Disney would have eliminated the Main Street vehicles altogether. They keep them due to the huge nostalgia factor and the potential outcry from the fans. As it is right now they operate VERY limited hours though, usually closing up for the day around 2 or 3 pm.

As much as I love the concept of bringing back the red cars, I see this as being a huge outlay of money for an attraction that will have a small capacity and very limited operating hours and the HUGE potential to cause injury. It would almost be better to operate them for show and not as an attraction at all.... but then how do you justify the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    The Carthay is an elegant choice for the period being celebrated, it was the movie palace that hosted premieres ranging from 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs', 'Gone With The Wind' to 'Fantasia'.
    Agreed, it's the perfect choice for DCA's "castle" weenie.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I would like it more if they used it as an actual theater... I think DCA has enough "facade only" locations right now.
    I second that motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    I personally like the idea of the Carthay... I just hope they do end up with the Walt Disney Story in it... from what I have heard from leads - WDI has inventoried the Walt Disney office furnature and there still are loose plans on moving them to the Carthay.
    All of this would definitely fit in with DCA's tweaked theme, to be sure, but I have to admit that it still doesn't feel right to move artifacts and historical exhibits associated with Walt Disney himself to any theme park other than Disneyland, the one and only theme park that he built and set foot in. Well, at least it would all still be in the parking lot that Walt built.

That would make perfect sense, in any case.

1) While all areas in Anaheim are admittedly small (meaning we don't have the sprawling space of WDW's MS USA
    I'm not refuting your main point but just making a little nitpick here. WDW's Main Street does not appear to be any larger in area than Disneyland's in any respect. If there are any differences, they are not significant (WDW's Main Street might be a tiny bit longer and DL's Town Square might be a wee bit wider, or maybe my aerial photos are slightly off in some way).

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I'm not really sure either but all I've heard suggest they are simply working on underground plumbing/drainage and electrical work in preparation for the expansion. No buildings have been started yet.

I don't really buy it as being radically different. Hollywood is pretty darn close to the same concept of Toontown and it's main drag is almost just as small and narrow. There are character meet n greets on the boulevard, character shows, and then the big Playhouse Disney show. With the Hyperion down the street and Award Wieners on the side, that one street is probably one of the busiest places in the park aside from Main Street.

I think given the option, Disney would have eliminated the Main Street vehicles altogether. They keep them due to the huge nostalgia factor and the potential outcry from the fans. As it is right now they operate VERY limited hours though, usually closing up for the day around 2 or 3 pm.

As much as I love the concept of bringing back the red cars, I see this as being a huge outlay of money for an attraction that will have a small capacity and very limited operating hours and the HUGE potential to cause injury. It would almost be better to operate them for show and not as an attraction at all.... but then how do you justify the cost?
    Here's a link to the permit status on the Red Car roundhouse foundations:

Here's the one for the building itself:

http://permits.anaheim.net/tm_bin/tm...=BLD2009-01774

It sure looks like they are building it to me.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Here's a link to the permit status on the Red Car roundhouse foundations:

Here's the one for the building itself:

It sure looks like they are building it to me.
    Those definitely come from the City of Anaheim website. I have to deal with City of Anaheim business licenses every day for my job, and the layout for their building permits apparently are very similar to the layout for their business licenses.

Sorry to say it Liver. But they're building the roundhouse for the Red Cars.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast