Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

Altered Mickey Finale Sequence in Fantasmic!

I was wondering this for a while, and it has probably been discussed, but not recently.

Some months ago, maybe up to a year or two ago, they altered the finale sequence when Mickey is sort of conducting the fireworks. Before, in the last part before he goes from atop the cabin to the stage, he'd wave his arms around and a flurry of fireworks would shoot off into the air from the river. Now, only two blasts of fireworks shoot off, synced up to the music.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vznsyYFH_4"]this youtube video[/ame]. The part I'm referring to starts at the :37 mark.

Does anyone else dislike this change? I hate it. I much preferred the mad flurry of fireworks. Was this changed as a cost-cutting measure or because someone in entertainment thinks it's better? With the new additions to Fantasmic, I would like to see the old version return.
    Last edited by Rex; 06-23-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Fixed time in video mistake

Walking in Walt's footsteps

• Sock Puppet

Re: Altered Mickey Finale Sequence in Fantasmic!

your video only goes to 1:04

there is no 3:13

• Returning to DL 2/29

I like the New fireworks the other ones cause a huge smoke cloud and the new ones don't
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

• Dive ..... Dive.....

There was a huge debate about this. I personally hate the new ending and think they ruined it. The show had a perfect climax that couldn't be improved. Instead, people came up with some ridiculous excuses related to the smoke saying it masks Mickey too much. This was a severe downgrade to the pyro used on Fantasmic and this excuse was used many times to cover the real reason it was done; to cut costs after the huge investement for lighting upgrades. Not only did they reduce the raw amount of fireworks but also eliminated any specialty shells. The reasoning given was that the lights replaced them, I don't buy it.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 06-23-2009 at 03:37 PM.

• Minion

Quick where's the popcorn!

• Returning to DL 2/29

That was my biggest problem with OLD ENDING my brother always used to tell me where is mickey and after the show I would smell the smoke filled air around the ROA I just don't understand it how the old one was better than the new one
    I'm back and now what!

• Dream in wonderful color!

The old ending was chaotic, messy and loud... The whole island used would become engulfed in smoke... depending on where you were seated you couldn't see Mickey or the cabin behind the smoke. The new ending is more orchestrated, a lot more colorful and works much better in my opinion..

I also like the new bright green pyro that shoots up at the very end.

• Returning to DL 2/29

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    The old ending was chaotic and messy. The whole island used would become engulfed in smoke... depending on where you were seated you couldn't see Mickey or the cabin behind the smoke. The new ending is more orchestrated, a lot more colorful and works much better in my opinion..

EXACTLY HE KNOWS WHAT I'M THINKING
    I'm back and now what!

• Minion

yea, i have to agree, the new one is way better.

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

I concede that the smoke was ridiculous, but there was enough of a gap before he says "some imagination, huh?" to allow it to dissipate enough to see him.

Walking in Walt's footsteps

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    The old ending was chaotic, messy and loud... The whole island used would become engulfed in smoke... depending on where you were seated you couldn't see Mickey or the cabin behind the smoke. The new ending is more orchestrated, a lot more colorful and works much better in my opinion..

They could have created something new that was on the same intensity level as the old version which featured the new lighting. Instead, we traded a very powerful and climatic ending for one that is weak with more color variety and less smoke, not a fair trade. To say Mickey was completely invisible due to smoke is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I concede that the smoke was ridiculous, but there was enough of a gap before he says "some imagination, huh?" to allow it to dissipate enough to see him.
    Absolutely, Mickey was never completely invisible. However, smoke is the nature of a great pyro ending. You cannot trade pyro for lighting and expect it to be the same.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 06-23-2009 at 03:54 PM.

• Minion

either way, new or old, my retinas suffer afterwards.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    They could have created something new that was on the same intensity level as the old one which featured the new lighting. Instead, we traded a very powerful and climatic ending for one that is weak with more color variety and less smoke, not a fair trade. To say Mickey was completely invisible due to smoke is a lie.
    I'm not a liar. I have seen the show more times than I can count... The new ending fits into the show better -- it's a nighttime spectacular not a fireworks show. If you want smoke and loud booms then maybe this show isn't for you?

you don't need smoke to have a great pyro ending.

I like the orignal Finale's First half but the actual finale where things start to go off faster the new one takes the cake.

First Half I Liked: Angled Comets that looked like stars (more relevant to fantashia) the Mine Effects when mickey stops stiff.

The second half where there use to be just orangish/red things going off all at once needed to be improved on. There was way to much smoke for how little was being shot off.

I believe they actually use more pyro than they use to... There is just less smoke involved due to the type of compounds they are using.

• Banned User

New one is much better. It is better synced to the music and fits much better in my opinion. The fireworks fan behind mickey is also a very neat touch. Overall, there is much more variation in fireworks which is much nicer than red comets madly being shot into the air.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast