Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Collision speed....FULL!

Re: Ideas for new DCA turnstyles

A Mission Style entrance would look good, but Knott's already has one:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3jV5FcVqpE...trance+now.JPG

I'd be more inclined to see a Craftsman style entrance like the Grand California Hotel.

Although I can picture an entrance with spanish influence, I can't picture one that's like a mission in front of a LA/Hollywood themed land.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dl_appurtenant View Post
    Although I can picture an entrance with spanish influence, I can't picture one that's like a mission in front of a LA/Hollywood themed land.
    I agree, it should be 30's style Spanish/Mediteranean revival with some deco elements mixed in. Really traditional mission adobe style wouldn't look right.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• All-American

How about a trellis structure, with vines growing on it? It would complement the Grand Californian but would also match BVS. It'd be very classy and reminiscent of wineries.

Pictures: 1, 2, 3, 4

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I am not for a mission style entrance because it is a bit cliche. Every strip mall in California has bee built or remodeled with a mission-style theme. There are other options to choose from and art deco would be one of those. Another option would be to go with a beau arts style, but that may be a little too ornate for that area.
    Let's make sure that we have our art styles straight here. A decent example of Art Deco within DCA would be the Hollywood Tower Hotel (also other parts of Hollywood Picture Backlot). However, in my experience what many people think of as Art Deco is actually the slightly later Streamline Moderne style. Although the latter is considered to have grown out of the former, they look quite different to me, so I think that the distinction is important. Any of these styles would be appropriate for the period, and obviously care should be taken in using different styles of the period throughout the park.

• Senior Minion

The styles are often blended, ToT is not pure Art Deco by any means and streamline moderne is very simmilar to Deco but usually more repeated horizontal lines and more modern material and less decoration. Some of ToT's proportions and detailing have a Deco influence but there is also a lot of spanish influence in it which is typical on the west coast. Deco from the east coast and Europe is different. Actually, I would say the Build a Bear Workshop building in DTD is the most pure Deco building in the resort.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by hawk671 View Post
    I think the proposed turnstyles for the new entry for Walt Disney's California adventure are ugly and dont look good with the rest of the street. I think it should be more california mission style archways with creeping flowers with iron gates. If anyone else has ideas please post. What do you guys think?
    I have hated the new turnstile concept ever since it was proposed. Although it does reflect California and Hollywood, the new entrance would be more appropriate if the park opened into the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The proposed design, with its sharp lines and teal color scheme, will look cheap when juxtaposed with the elaborate Buena Vista Street. Isn't that the DCA image we are trying to erase? Even the same design painted brown would be much more complementary than what is being proposed. The best option would be a unique entrance that is an extension of the architectural styles used on Buena Vista Street.

I'd prefer if the entrance harmonised more with the entrance to Disneyland. Nothing against the Pan Pacific entrance but it will clash with the entrance across the way. I remember reading Westcot was going to have a Victorian city themed entrance to blend with Disneyland something similar would be good. How about a station design so on entering the park you feel the way Walt Did when he arrived in LA

Thumbs up Re: Ideas for new DCA turnstyles

Quote Originally Posted by coconutpropane View Post
    I have hated the new turnstile concept ever since it was proposed. Although it does reflect California and Hollywood, the new entrance would be more appropriate if the park opened into the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The proposed design, with its sharp lines and teal color scheme, will look cheap when juxtaposed with the elaborate Buena Vista Street. Isn't that the DCA image we are trying to erase? Even the same design painted brown would be much more complementary than what is being proposed. The best option would be a unique entrance that is an extension of the architectural styles used on Buena Vista Street.

Agreed!!!

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    A Beaux-Arts Classicism colonnade with balustrades, lampposts, and distinctively Californian plantings would be appropriate, but Disney seems intent on making a mess by removing such things as the Palace of Fine Arts rotunda.
    I LOVE this idea. I think beaux-arts and it's such a classy look and would be a great way to intorduce park. I though the palace was remaining in park?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    I LOVE this idea. I think beaux-arts and it's such a classy look and would be a great way to intorduce park. I though the palace was remaining in park?
    Most people here have said it is staying, and all of the Concept art for TLM has incorporated it into the design some how.

• Wilderness Explorer

I though the palace was remaining in park?
    Me too! I thought that they were going to encorporate this current structure into the Littler Mermaid facade. It's certainly one of the most winning architectural features of the park. Why just get rid of it?!

• Death Certificate on hand

FWIW...

The turnstile towers are the towers from the late lamented Pan Pacific Auditorium that used to stand on Beverly Blvd. near the CBS Studios in Los Angeles [about 1 1/2 miles from the house I grew up in]. The auditorium was destroyed in a fire on May 24, 1989 [the DHS replica opened on May 1, just 3 weeks earlier].

So, IMO it's more appropriate here than in DHS.

For more information:
    Pan-Pacific Auditorium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by DragonRose; 07-01-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added conclusion

• Mickey Ear Biter

This really has nothing to do with california, but wouldn't it be pretty if the turnstiles were covered small blue square mosaic tiles?

Ok its random, but it could work...in my mind...
    Sometimes we cannot help, but be a little over dramatic...

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Quote Originally Posted by Jesser-pie View Post
    This really has nothing to do with california, but wouldn't it be pretty if the turnstiles were covered small blue square mosaic tiles?

Ok its random, but it could work...in my mind...
    ...NO.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast