Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Ideas for new DCA turnstyles

I think the proposed turnstyles for the new entry for Walt Disney's California adventure are ugly and dont look good with the rest of the street. I think it should be more california mission style archways with creeping flowers with iron gates. If anyone else has ideas please post. What do you guys think?

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Re: Ideas for new DCA turnstyles

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're ugly; I actually like them quite a bit - for Disney's Hollywood Studios. While they are 1920's and they are art deco (as the Cathay will kind of be), the overall styling is very different from most of the Los Angeles street scene. Maybe it's because I can't separate them in my head from DHS, but ... I hope they were just temporary blue sky concepts and nothing more.

• Go DCA, Go! :D

I always thought that a Mission style entrance would compliment BVS, but I can handle the blue DHS entrance.
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian

• HauntedOne999

I would like to see Mission-style architecture somewhere in the park. and having the entry look just like DHS wouldnt be unique.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Can Only Wish For More!

The mission style is like the info desk over by the train shops, right? I would love to the new DCA entrance to have that mission style!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Senior Minion

I agree, don't like that it's a DHS copy and would prefer something with more mission influence. I wouldn't mind it having some deco influence, but more blended with spanish influence like the Carthay and ToT. If they do go with the Pan Pacific influenced one I'm not going to be upset, I think it will look ok, but I think they could do better.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

my only problem with it is that it is la copy of DHS entrance. Aside from that i think it will compliment various areas of the new BVS remodel. Not all of the street has that mission style architecture. There are areas of the new design that have a bit art deco integrated into it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    The mission style is like the info desk over by the train shops, right? I would love to the new DCA entrance to have that mission style!
    Yeah, that tower defintely has a mission style influence. I think it may even have a little deco influence as well, I'm trying to picture it in my mind but I'm not positive. Mixing those two styles was really common in LA in the '30's and 40's.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Yeah.....

Anyone ever been to the Mission Inn in Riverside?

That place is an architect's dream, but it's main entrance could definitely be applied to a theme park type setting.

If you've never been, btw, it's an amazing place to spend a day-cation just exploring the grounds and gardens.

• =)

I don't mind the fact that the design we've seen is a lift from DHS...but I do mind the fact that it just doesn't match the entrance stylistically. It's not that huge a deal, but I'd definitely prefer to see something more in line with the style of the new entrance. As y'all have said, it's not like the art deco look is from the wrong place or time period or anything...but theme is a lot more than just picking whatever you want from a given place or time.

• Returning to DL 2/29

Mission Style is nice but California as vast array of styles that could fit into the park ill try to find some but would it be nice light the arroyo seco parkway style
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

• Banned User

First and foremost is security. Disneyland has a very streamlined entrance when you look at it. No place for the bad guys to hide. It allows security to see into the front area of the park and when in the park they can look out easily.

I would love a Mission Era front entrance but I am looking at the amount of space to cram guests into, security, and traffic flow.

I personally think they did a great job on the entrance and it has that steramlined style of architecture which California was famous for.

I will vote for it staying the way it is. Besides it was not uncommon in the 1920's to find Victorian, Egyptian, art deco, mission, Stickley, bungalows, and early versions of modernism in the same block or town.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

There already is a local park that has a mission style entrance call Knott's Berry Farm.

I am not for a mission style entrance because it is a bit cliche. Every strip mall in California has bee built or remodeled with a mission-style theme. There are other options to choose from and art deco would be one of those. Another option would be to go with a beau arts style, but that may be a little too ornate for that area.

I just don't like that DHS and DCA will essentially have the same entrance. I know that DHS is inspired by california, for more narrowly, Hollywood. BUt still, id rather see DCA have some more originality. Just because it was their idea to use that design for DHS, doesn't mean they should use it for DCA, just because it represents Hollywood, and hollywood is from California.

My guess is that they still have the same molds used to sculpt and build the DHS entrance, and this is just the cheaper easier, and nice looking alternative to thinking of something new. Show some originality.

A Beaux-Arts Classicism colonnade with balustrades, lampposts, and distinctively Californian plantings would be appropriate, but Disney seems intent on making a mess by removing such things as the Palace of Fine Arts rotunda.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast