Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• HauntedOne999

What is the DCA remodel missing?

Although all the ideas for DCA are great. What do you think is not present in DCA?

My 2 major concerns are the lack of presence of California Missions and Chinatown.

granted both Spanish and Asian culture will be represented by food in the Pacific Wharf... there is no actual representation of the architecture.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Special Agent

Re: What is the DCA remodel missing?

I'm going to be brutally honest here. People go to Disney theme parks to see magic and pixie dust. They want to see characters and cartoons. They don't want to see missions and chinatown.

• HauntedOne999

But DCA is supposed to be a full flavor of California... leaving 2 big things that are part of CA out is like meat without seasoning - the taste is off and you know something is missing.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I'm going to be brutally honest here. People go to Disney theme parks to see magic and pixie dust. They want to see characters and cartoons. They don't want to see missions and chinatown.

They WOULD want to see Missions and a Chinatown if it had the Disney quality magic and pixie dust that has been very absent throughout DCA's history.

I'm not pushing for those two ideas per se, but there is something REAL that is missing from the remodel. A good attraction based on something real that also has a story and a sense of fantasy. Something like Pirates or Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn or Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise or something else entirely.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

People don't go anywhere for characters and cartoons, not at a meaningful level, anyway. They go for escapism. Sometimes that takes the form of cartoons and characters, oftentimes it doesn't. They're part of the formula for selling a product. They appeal to a select demographic. The highly themed lands that never were appeal to another demographic, and perhaps the more important demographic. If Disney continues to take your attitude, using the themeparks as a venue for selling television and movie characters, they'll be alienating the demographics that drive their success.

If missions and chinatowns are constructed to be far more than real, they'll sell just as well as cartoons and characters.

• HauntedOne999

Coheteboy, I think that was the initial idea for Golden Dreams... as it was the only real story about California, and wasnt very abtract and satirical.

• Banned User

You are implying that
    a) DCA is supposed to be an exhaustive representation of California.
    b) That DCA would be better as an exhaustive representation of California.

I don't think either of these things is really true. I think what DCA needs is well conceived, well-executed lands that transport the guest to another time/place: just like Disneyland. Whether these lands are about missions or talking cars from Arizona is really not that important in the long run, IMO.

• Senior Minion

I'm going to brutally agree.

But don't take L&W's word for it, folks -- put it to the test:
    Of the following three destination concepts, which one doesn't fit with the other two?

A. Missions
    B. Chinatown
    C. Immersion in the Timeless Fantasy of a Disney Theme Park
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

DCA needs more Pixar characters. I'm not satisfied until all ten Pixar films are represented with its own land.

• HauntedOne999

why does it seem that people have lost the point of the park being about California? Because to me having California in its name means thats what its about. So, that being said... with people saying that Chinatown and Missions don't matter, are they saying that those things are not intrical parts of California and should just be removed?

DCA has representations of so many locals, and even the Pixar based lands still have a connection to something of California... but eateries are not comparable to the cultures dictated by the architecture of Chinatown and the California Missions. They are major parts of the make-up of California and should not be completely ignored in a park that centers its themeing on the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I'm going to brutally agree.

But don't take L&W's word for it, folks -- put it to the test:
    Of the following three destination concepts, which one doesn't fit with the other two?

A. Missions
    B. Chinatown
    Of the following three concepts, which one doesn't fit with the other two?

A. Galleons
    B. Fishing Villages

• Not here to help

It is missing a proper solution to the pier area. The Pier is just not up to Disney standards how ever the paint it. All those open rides are not inspiring at all. It lacks imagination. The entire theme of the park is bad idea from start as many have mentioned before.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    why does it seem that people have lost the point of the park being about California? Because to me having California in its name means thats what its about.
    Is DCA California themed? Or does/will it represent the attitudes that the state represents? If it's the latter, which it would certainly seem with the addition of a 'cars' land- the notion of the open road, 'freedom'- then the park doesn't need to represent every aspect of the state, though chinatown and missions are certainly a huge part of the state's mystique. But that's just it. The state has a mystique that needs to be exploited. A mission can be a jumping off point for any number of attractions, just as New Oreleans Square manages to serve as the embarkation point for radically different expereriences. The same can be said of Chinatowns. They represent the hard reality of immigration, but more importantly diversity and perserverence to forge a new life in an idealistic setting. That too, can be exploited. Both, certainly to as great or great degree than Hollywood or a seaside amusement park.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post
    Is DCA California themed? Or does/will it represent the attitudes that the state represents? If it's the latter, which it would certainly seem with the addition of a 'cars' land- the notion of the open road, 'freedom'- then the park doesn't need to represent every aspect of the state, though chinatown and missions are certainly a huge part of the state's mystique. But that's just it. The state has a mystique that needs to be exploited. A mission can be a jumping off point for any number of attractions, just as New Oreleans Square manages to serve as the embarkation point for radically different expereriences. The same can be said of Chinatowns. They represent the hard reality of immigration, but more importantly diversity and perserverence to forge a new life in an idealistic setting. That too, can be exploited. Both, certainly to as great or great degree than Hollywood or a seaside amusement park.
    I agree, I think the OP is right, I've always felt that those would be two perfect environments for DCA and I agree with the above post that they could be amazing jumping off points for magical adventures that explore the spirit of the state. The other two things I would have liked to see added are a Barbary Coast SF area along with the China Town and more gold rush influence in the Grizzly area.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post

Wow... welcome, new member!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast