Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• So fetch

A sexist reaction to a female monorail driver

Last night Hollywood1939, Lil LL, and I got the chance to ride in the nose of the monorail. There was 2 other guys with us. When the driver entered to take her seat one of the guys said that he couldn't ride and left. We thought "Um, okay..... that's weird." The CM that loaded us came in and apologized for what we had witnessed. He told us that it was the third time that guy had left because he was not comfortable with a female driver. I couldn't believe it. The CM apologized again and we told him it was okay, that it wasn't their fault. The driver was really nice and she let Lil LL sit in her chair, wear her hat, and honk the horn. It made Lil LL's night doing that. The other guy we were with made sure to write down the names of both CMs so he could leave a compliment for both of them at City Hall.

Has anybody experienced something like that before? I'm curious if that guy would get off the boat on the Jungle Cruise or any other ride that has a female in charge.

Re: A sexist reaction to a female monorail driver

that is just weird, seems like that guy just wants some attention.

What the CM's should do now is not allow him to board the nose of the monorail anymore especially since it sounds like he might be a regular.
    Last edited by Baloo; 06-24-2009 at 08:04 PM.

• Lightspeed to Endor!

If he didn't want to see the driver in the first place why get on the nose?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    that is just weird, seems like that guy just wants some attention.

What the CM's should do know is not allow him to board the nose of the monorail anymore since it sounds like he might be a regular.
    Great idea Baloo I totally agree, of course the CMs would have to keep it on the down low. If they didn't it could lead to a huge misunderstanding.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    Has anybody experienced something like that before? I'm curious if that guy would get off the boat on the Jungle Cruise or any other ride that has a female in charge.
    There are many older Guests who still feel that Jungle is a "boys club". I took pride in putting them on a boat with a female "ringer"... just to see the shocked expression when they realized she was just as good, if not better, then many of the boys. I remember several female skips commenting on how they were constantly fighting that stereotype. The irony is they could say a lot of things we could never get away with! In most cases people didn't seem to care about male or female, but it did happen on occasion.

I have seen the same in reverse on Storybook... Some guests feel that is a feminine role, and refuse to have a male CM do the spiel.

People are funny... all you could do is be courteous and take it with a grain of salt.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Thumbs up Re: A sexist reaction to a female monorail driver

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    There are many older Guests who still feel that Jungle is a "boys club". I took pride in putting them on a boat with a Female "ringer"... just to see the shocked expression when they realized she was just as good, if not better, then many of the boys.

I have seen the same in reverse on Storybook... Some guests feel that is a feminine role, and refuse to have a male CM do the spiel.

People are funny... all you could do is be courteous and take it with a grain of salt.
    Great advice, bravo!

Happens a lot... and in all types of "service" type jobs (hotel front desk/retail/etc...). I have seen women treated horrible by men compared to how they would treat a guy.

Some men are complete idiots.
    -Wes

• Yeah...I'm cool

Maybe it had to do w/ nationality or religous doctrine the individual had.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Banned User

He should have stated he only wanted a male driver and talked with someone on the loading platform. There was 4 people assigned to the cab and if he had not been assigned then two people could have gone instead of him. The cab loads 5 people and it is hard to load that 5th person as most people do not want to go solo.

I come from the day of pretty blonde ladies on canal boats and all of them were skinny. I come from a time of whites only and near perfect bodies for CMs on stage and male only skippers.

I find that I enjoy the trip no matter who is driving a boat, train, or other ride.
    I do like the female skippers on the jungle cruise best.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Some men are complete idiots.

Some women, too.

You can't fix stupid...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    I come from the day of pretty blonde ladies on canal boats and all of them were skinny. I come from a time of whites only and near perfect bodies for CMs on stage and male only skippers.
    Same here. You still see some airline passengers do a doubletake when greeted at the loading door by a female pilot. (It's almost always the older adults; younger people don't think anything of it.)

Fortunately, social prejudices do change. Unfortunately, they do so with glacial slowness.

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    Maybe it had to do w/ nationality or religous doctrine the individual had.
    Could be. And too, in any large group of people you'll find a few with personal emotional issues, phobias, etc.

I myself have to be physically restrained and have jam rubbed on my nose whenever I see a photo of Paul Pressler.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-24-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    He should have stated he only wanted a male driver and talked with someone on the loading platform. There was 4 people assigned to the cab and if he had not been assigned then two people could have gone instead of him. The cab loads 5 people and it is hard to load that 5th person as most people do not want to go solo.
    I didn't know that they mixed parties in the cab or back. I thought it was a single party each ride. the only time I rode in front, I was the only one there. I was on the loading platform when they announced an indefinite hold. a few people stayed around, most of the other people left. when they resumed service, everyone else boarded the regular cars so I asked if I could ride in front and got a solo cab ride. I got a video of the run from Tomorrowland to DTD station.

• Banned User

this sucks to hear. People are dumb. I wouldn't have let him back in line for Monorail, I would have asked him to leave

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    The CM that loaded us came in and apologized for what we had witnessed. He told us that it was the third time that guy had left because he was not comfortable with a female driver.
    I wonder if it was a coincidence that there were three female drivers in a row? maybe all the male drivers just happen to be on break when he showed up?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I wonder if it was a coincidence that there were three female drivers in a row? maybe all the male drivers just happen to be on break when he showed up?
    Haha, no the female driver told us that was the second time he did that to her, the other was at Tomorrowland Station.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast