View Poll Results: How much longer do you expect to see "Fantasmic!" run at Disneyland?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • A few more years

10 10.20%
  • About 5 more years

16 16.33%
  • About 10 more years

18 18.37%
  • Possibly 15+ years

54 55.10%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: How much longer do you expect "Fantasmic!" to run for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    I put down 5 years for one simple reason - the Accountaneers are going to insist thast they amortize out the investments they have made until they are fully depreciated.

Same reason that they made massive repairs on Rocket Rods to get them running for a few more years (even when it was 101 half the time) - they had to have the ride running long enough to depreciate it, if they gave up after less than a year Mr. Tax Man would have had a field day.

Give it 5 years at the current levels (and a few more possible plusses over the next year or so), and then they'll decide to either gracefully phase it out, or they will make more major upgrades on more of the infrastructure 'stuff' and keep it running longer.

Hopefully they've learned from America Sings and Submarines - don't shut the old ride or attraction down till whatever you come up with to replace it is greenlit and ready to start construction. We don't like looking at that "We're Imagineering a New Attraction!" sign for 10+ years, knowing it's a bald-faced lie...

--<< Bruce >>--
    Then they'll probably have a farewell season like MSEP did which will probably bring in lots of money seeing as many people would go to the park to see Fantasmic! for their last time. Maybe after the show leaves, people will see that accross the Esplanade is World of Color which can easily replace F! for many people.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Well... When 2012 hits...

Haha j/k

I expect about 10 more years.

• Dream in wonderful color!

I will stop going to DL if they decide to shut down Fantasmic.

Ok a bit dramatic, but I cannot imagine a night at the park without it. I highly highly doubt they will get rid of the show because it's not only popular but they have also spent a lot of money to enhance it in the past few years.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

I put down 5 years to be on the cautious side and i agree with everyone else that the money put into F! is way too much to end the show sooner. But, if Disney is really smart, they would continue with the upgrades and changes throughout the years. By doing this, they will eventually change the show entirely. I mean, new characters can be brought in, new video sequences, new audio, etc. If they plan it all right, using scheduled refurb times to enhance things, the show could seamlessly become a new show. Instead of being the same old fantasmic for the next 10+ years, it will be an evolving show

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

I hope that the World of Color is a great success and maybe Fantasmic can be closed or toned down over a period of time. give it a rest for a while or run a smaller show and bring back the full show after a 4-5 year break.

Fantasmic has become too big of an attraction for its current location and the traffic jam that is created between the Fantasmic show and the fireworks show is at times frightening.

an alternate idea (in the realm of if there was enough money to do it) move the show or make it two shows.

create a new riverfront land at the northeast section of the river with viewing areas, a new stage at the north end of Tom Sawyer Island and move the the show there. I think this is next to Big Thunder Ranch where the Festival of Fools used to be. the ranch will probably have to go too.

this would move the Fantasmic and Main Street fire works crowds a little farther apart and give them more space to disperse.

if there were two shows, keep the current show and have the new show timed so that the floating elements would be available for both shows.

I realize that this would require major construction and major revisions to the fire works shows, but with enough money almost anything is possible.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I hope that the World of Color is a great success and maybe Fantasmic can be closed or toned down over a period of time. give it a rest for a while or run a smaller show and bring back the full show after a 4-5 year break.

Fantasmic has become too big of an attraction for its current location and the traffic jam that is created between the Fantasmic show and the fireworks show is at times frightening.

an alternate idea (in the realm of if there was enough money to do it) move the show or make it two shows.

create a new riverfront land at the northeast section of the river with viewing areas, a new stage at the north end of Tom Sawyer Island and move the the show there. I think this is next to Big Thunder Ranch where the Festival of Fools used to be. the ranch will probably have to go too.

this would move the Fantasmic and Main Street fire works crowds a little farther apart and give them more space to disperse.

if there were two shows, keep the current show and have the new show timed so that the floating elements would be available for both shows.

I realize that this would require major construction and major revisions to the fire works shows, but with enough money almost anything is possible.
    I agree with what you said and you make some very good points.

I'm thinking that IF World of Color turns out to be a success, they'll run Fantasmic maybe for a few more years after. Then they can slowly show Fantasmic less and less until they finally remove the show all together and people will divert their attention over to DCA with World of Color. That should greatly improve that traffic jam in NOS and traffic shouldn't be a big problem with WoC because of the new viewing area.

Without Fantasmic, Disneyland is going to be lacking in nighttime entertainment. Maybe they can move the electrical parade back over to Main Street so they'll have the fireworks and MSEP, then DCA will have WoC nightly. To fill Fantasmic's spot, they could put in a simple show with fountains similar to the ones at the Bellagio in Vegas but on a smaller scale.

• Seasick

It's still hugely popular and they've been investing in freshening up the technology. I can't see it going away anytime soon.

Of course, World of Colour could influence that prediction, will be interesting to see if it does.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Storyteller

I would like to see it around for many years to come. Granted, the show is revised and changed around every now and then.

I realize that DL and WDW are two totally different places and how they run but WDW has multiple nighttime shows/spectaculars so why couldn't DL do the same? Especially with WOC coming that would actually take away some of the crowds from F! But i think that it can for awhile especially with all of these changes they're making.

• Minion

Well I pretty much equate Fantasmics success and popularity to MSEP, Itís like the Ď90s version of the electrical parade. True MSEP has come and gone and updated along they way but it has remained a staple in Disneyland's nighttime entertainment for thirty plus years. I see Fantasmic following in MSEPís footsteps so to speak. It will be interesting to see how World of Color impacts the other nighttime events in the resort. Only time will tell...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    Well I pretty much equate Fantasmics success and popularity to MSEP, Itís like the Ď90s version of the electrical parade. True MSEP has come and gone and updated along they way but it has remained a staple in Disneyland's nighttime entertainment for thirty plus years. I see Fantasmic following in MSEPís footsteps so to speak. It will be interesting to see how World of Color impacts the other nighttime events in the resort. Only time will tell...
    With all this hype, and even more hype Disney is going to put on, I am sure World of Color is going to be hugely popular like Fantasmic and draw in huge crowds nightly.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    With all this hype, and even more hype Disney is going to put on, I am sure World of Color is going to be hugely popular like Fantasmic and draw in huge crowds nightly.
    well no offense, but al the hype seems to stem from only two places right now, Inside DCA (al la construction walls and info boards, not to mention the blue sky cellar) and internet fansites like this one. So any more hype would just be the typical Disney marketing machine at work.

I hope WOC is really popular but not knowing what to expect, I'll say that WOC won't kill Fantasmic immediately and that it's simply going to be a good show.
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 06-25-2009 at 03:56 PM.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

It's beginning to get stale for me, but that's my own personal opinion.

I'd like to see a new show to add to (not replace) the current ROA offering.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    It's beginning to get stale for me, but that's my own personal opinion.

I'd like to see a new show to add to (not replace) the current ROA offering.
    thats why they added a big shiny new dragon...almost.

I think that once WOC comes around and is popular that Fantasmic's appearances will decrease over the next few years until they stop it altogether...or at least just very limited showings (like only summertime). But that's just what I think...it probably won't happen and it'll be around forever, like was said above.
    ap∑pur∑te∑nant Ė adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12