Odd thing happened when I went to get a fastpass

My 4 year old son takes GREAT pride in handing his AP over to the ticket taker when we visit the park. This plus the fact I watched the ticket taker take and scan my son's card I am 100% positive it was scanned and taken and approved (he was the first in our party to enter the park and went thru the gate).

So - by request of the kids we head straight for Space Mt. and stop and get fastpasses before we go to wait in line so we can make a quick 2nd ride later in the day. I put his AP into the machine and out pops one of those "This is not a valid fastpass ticket, your ticket was not used for admission" tickets.

Now, I know for a fact it WAS used so me being the hard-head I am pop it in again only to get the same result. Well - I am a hard-head and I KNEW this thing was wrong so I kept putting his AP in the machine. On the 5th (I think) try it worked! Out popped a useable fastpass ticket.

Now I wonder if the machine just gave up or what happened.. and yes - his AP worked to get fastpasses for the rest of the day.

Just thought this was odd and wondered if anybody else has had this happen to them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: Odd thing happened when I went to get a fastpass

As the man said to me when I bought my first computer, "Remember, sometimes they just wander away."

The FastPass machine (or it's computer master) probably just wandered away for a bit.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Animatronic

If you ran straight to the fastpass machine, it's possible their database had a hickup and didn't propagate the entry event quickly. The write database is often not the same as the read database and there can be some delay passing the data around.

Or they could just have an angry guest safety feature which allows it to work after enough tries to save on fastpass paper and possible machine destruction.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Master Fastpass Program was at it again.

(Fun images of 'Virtual Guests' walking around in a TRON-style Disneyland are bouncing through my head)
    -Monorail Man

• Shubisha

I was with someone who had the same thing happen to them the last time they were there. It might have taken a few tries, a different machine, etc... to get it to work but for the most part it just didn't. It was definitely a kink in the system that might have been tied to his AP account itself.

Showing this to a CM at the fastpass station will usually get you a fastpass(long as it's clearly a pass you used to get in and not a blockout day or something), and then going to guest relations should be able to help get your pass sorted out.

I was there with a friend once and he kept trying to use the pass, it said not used for entrance. It kept saying it all day, poor guy went to guest relations about five times. Still couldn't sort it out.

Same thing happened to my wife last week. She was able to just walk over to the CM and get a fastpass from him with no troubles.
    likes pizza likes beer likes Space Mountain

• e komo mai

I didn't have that happen to me, but something similar. I put in my AP for a Buzz FastPass first thing in the morning and it told me I already had one for Space Mountain and couldn't have another one until a certain time.
    I brought this to a CM's attention and he thought I was lying. He kept asking me if I had a Space Mountain FastPass on me. I told him no. After like 10 mintues, he gave me a Buzz one.
    :shrug:

• Minion

Wayyy too many problems with space mountain fastpass computer not communicating properly with other fastpass machines. For example a fastpass is issued at space mtn at 3pm with a 5:30pm return time. Says another fp will be available after 5:00pm as it should. Guest immediately goes to buzz lightyear for example and tries to get a FP. Ticket says one wont be available until 4:00. Tries again and it prints out one that says a fp will be available after 4:20. ARGHHH! And yeah lately lots of mysterious "your ticket was not used for admission today" tickets being printed out. And not the usual brand new ap, or ticket holder still in the hotel room issues.

• Sock Puppet

Disney just needs to switch their fast-pass system to MAC. No problem anymore. No, computers should not 'just drift away'. They are a machine, that should do exactly what you tell it to do.

Lately the FP network has been a bit sluggish and its causing all of the problems mentioned here (and more). The incorrect "Next Available FP" time is universal right now... the "Next Available FP" time on the FP issued to you is always the one the network is going to try and go by but delays in responce from the network have caused the "Invalid" FP tickets to print the "Next Available FP" time as if you had an FP for the attraction you are trying to get one at... basically its getting the message you should be locked out from getting an FP because you have one somewhere else, but its "timing out" before the entire message is sent, so it goes to a default.

On days when the network is at a snail's pace its been allowing people to get multiple FP tickets... the network has a limited time to respond when the computers ask "Can this barcode get a new FP?" if the request timesout the computer just issues an FP... similarly, if the computer tries to send a message to the network "This barcode now has an FP at (attraction) and is locked out of new FPs until (whenever)" but the network doesnt respond quickly enough, it just forgets the message.

Being aware of the issues, most attractions have increased the hours they have people staffed at the FP Distribution areas to help confused/frustrated guests.

• Minion

I attribute it too moodiness, maybe it had a bad morning!

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I didn't have that happen to me, but something similar. I put in my AP for a Buzz FastPass first thing in the morning and it told me I already had one for Space Mountain and couldn't have another one until a certain time.
    I brought this to a CM's attention and he thought I was lying. He kept asking me if I had a Space Mountain FastPass on me. I told him no. After like 10 mintues, he gave me a Buzz one.
    :shrug:
    grrrrr, that would be infuriating!