Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Disney aficionado

Re: Ride differences between DL and MK?

DL wins in my opinion hands down!
    The smaller park size makes navigating so much easier and less exhausting. You also become part of the park since you are almost forced to see almost all the elements of it as you navigate between rides. Such as running into the musicians in New Orleans Square, or the parades since their route goes pretty much throughout the whole park. There is just an essence of specialness in the air. MK seems more like any other "theme park". Doesn't quite make you feel apart of it. Ride wise DL is better in my opinion. Space Mountain is more space like and POTC is FAR better in my opinion as compared to the MK version. Plus, DL has Indy and the Matterhorn which are pretty enjoyable rides.

P.S. My honeymoon trip report probably will be posted sometime tomorrow

• This is it... COME ON!!

Well,DONT MISS DL SPACE IT IS BEST SPACE MOUNTAIN EVER!!!!!!!!!!
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.
    Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

• Disneyland Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    In fact, Big Thunder at WDW is a complete mirror of the DL one! They flipped the plans to fit MK's space! Compare some videos of the two, and they are shockingly similar!
    Actually, the MK design of Thunder Mountain is the original design. The layout was made to use the area set aside for Western River Expedition and draw guests to the MK when EPCOT Center opened. It was mirrored to fit Disneyland's space after it was decided to build it there first. I believe that Disneyland's Thunder Mountain is the only one in the world that has that layout; the one in Paris is a slight derivative of the Florida layout and I believe the Tokyo one is similar.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Very few of the rides are exact copies.. BTMRR is one of the few. The rest have minor differences, with rides like Space and POTC having the largest differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    Actually, the MK design of Thunder Mountain is the original design. The layout was made to use the area set aside for Western River Expedition and draw guests to the MK when EPCOT Center opened. It was mirrored to fit Disneyland's space after it was decided to build it there first. I believe that Disneyland's Thunder Mountain is the only one in the world that has that layout; the one in Paris is a slight derivative of the Florida layout and I believe the Tokyo one is similar.
    There is no "goat trick" on the MK version.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    I've tried this twice now and it hasn't worked. What am I doing wrong?

• Storyteller

Quote Originally Posted by DojoGrant View Post
    Yes, I remember the moving cars on the city streets (I miss those), but I have no memory of flying through the stars, which is weird. It's weird because I didn't really care for Peter Pan at MK, but when I went on it at DL, I really, really loved it. Bizarre!

DL's has moving cars also.

• Sock Puppet

Smile Re: Ride differences between DL and MK?

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    DL wins in my opinion hands down!
    The smaller park size makes navigating so much easier and less exhausting. You also become part of the park since you are almost forced to see almost all the elements of it as you navigate between rides. Such as running into the musicians in New Orleans Square, or the parades since their route goes pretty much throughout the whole park. There is just an essence of specialness in the air. MK seems more like any other "theme park". Doesn't quite make you feel apart of it. Ride wise DL is better in my opinion. Space Mountain is more space like and POTC is FAR better in my opinion as compared to the MK version. Plus, DL has Indy and the Matterhorn which are pretty enjoyable rides.

P.S. My honeymoon trip report probably will be posted sometime tomorrow
    I agree 100% and I can't wait for your trip report

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Some other differences:

-On MK Splash mountain, you are also seated two across instead of one by one in DL

-Snow White actually HAS an ending, unlike in DL where it says "and they lived happily ever after."

-In Buzz Lightyear at MK, the guns are nailed to the car, where at DL you can take the guns out and move freely.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The goat isn't in the center of the turn at MK. He's off to the right as soon as you enter that hill to turn.

You can stare at the same rock the goat stands on if that type of stuff amuses you
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Disneyland's Peter Pan may have moving cars, but the city is much less three dimensional than the MK version. There is a fiberoptic starfield in DL's version. The MK version uses a conveyor belt to load and also has a different soundtrack.

The elephant bathing pool is toward the beginning of DL's Jungle Cruise, and at the end of the MK version. The entire layout of both is very different, and as stated before MK's version has the temple.

Splash Mountain at Disneyland is much shorter and the pace is quicker than MK's. DL's, however, has more AAs since they are from America Sings, and has the extra show scene before the final lift.

Snow White has an additional scene at the end at MK where the Prince kisses Snow White and they live happily ever after.

Buzz Lightyear is longer at MK because it is based off the existing layout from Dreamflight/If You Had Wings. There is a spinning vortex left over from Dreamflight that is not in the DL version. Overall, the DL version is more eleborate and well thought out IMO.

Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain is a mirror of MK's and the look is based off Bryce Canyon in Utah. MK's is based off monument valley. At MK the final drop ends up in the dinosaur bones and goes past geysers, while DL's goes past the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland sets. MK also has the flash flood scene before the 2nd lift hill.

• Minion

ORWEN: The Snow White ride in Florida has a lot more scenes than the one in California and it tells more of the story from beginning to end, whereas the one in California just shows the story from the Wicked Queen's point of view. There's only one figure of Snow White in California, too, where Florida has at least 3 figures of Snow White in their version.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    Disneyland's Peter Pan may have moving cars, but the city is much less three dimensional than the MK version
    You can say that again.. the ONLY dimensional element I can recall in DL's version is big ben - the rest is just a flat floor. Then it has the plastic bags on the floor for clouds.

MK's is mostly dimensional, has moving car lights - but no bags for clouds. Instead, there are flats that extend from the walls as clouds.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Hello again!

The Tiki Room at DL is one of my favorite parts of the park, I get a Dole whip float and enjoy the show.
    The almost completely different Tiki Room (Under New Management) at MK is worth going to once in your life just to see why somethings are better left alone!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Peter Pan in MK has FAST PASS!!

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

Having only been to MK (hopefully I'll be in DL in June 2010!), what exactly is the goat trick?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast