Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: Captain eo!

• Yeti Enthusiast

Re: Captain eo!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    When something is a "skeleton" it is in the closet for a reason. Disney's "bread and butter" is it's public image. Regardless of "artistic merit" Disney is a public company that is very careful about it's public image and I HIGHLY doubt they would release the WW2 short in question or Song of the South.
    Disney actually did release all of the WWII shorts in the "On The Front Lines" Disney Treasures set, and they frequently sell this set in the "Off The Page" store in DCA.

"Song of the South", a film that's significantly less offensive, hasn't even been afforded this, even though it's technically one of the main animated features and has a park attraction based on it.

• "I Break Things"

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same short... I just PM'd you.

--- Edit ---
    After further research, it is on Disc 1, you are correct. I am honestly shocked it was released.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Yeti Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I'm not sure if we are talking about the same short... I just PM'd you.

--- Edit ---
    After further research, it is on Disc 1, you are correct. I am honestly shocked it was released.
    Are you referring to "Der Fuhrer's Face"? I've never understood why people would find a patently anti-Nazi cartoon offensive.

"Commando Duck" has a load of awful Japanese stereotypes, and is probably the most offensive thing Disney put out during WWII. And they sell it at the DLR.

Meanwhile "Song of the South" languishes in a vault.

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    Meanwhile "Song of the South" languishes in a vault.
    Shame to because it would make a great Disney Treasure DVD. I have it on Laser Disc, as it has been released commercially in other parts of the world. However the print is fair at best, a newly restored print could really make the animation and cinematography shine

Well I'm a long time fan of MJ, and in 92 I did view the Captain Eo at Disneyland but I don't have any memories of it.
    And after re-viewing the flat vids on YT, MJ acted very badly on this ... and it was probably not a very good song, but the 3D effects was the real show so thanks for putting the 3D back on YT , where are my glasses .... ??
    Geez ... they're the polarized ones ....
    Last edited by PhilippeP; 07-02-2009 at 01:06 PM.

• Minion

ive posted on a diffrent thread about this in a few weeks people will have forgoton mj and eo for the most part. is eo really worth the blood sweat and tears i see on here?it certaintly wasnt a life changeing event when it was playing...why the sudden intrest now since hes dead? its mind boggoling that something as mundain as a 15 min 3d video is causeing so much turmoil i think its time to stop wanting it to happen..and accept the fact that it never will move on people the king of pop is dead eo is gone you tube it up all you want but please stop crying that it needs to be brought back to a park that now has no love for it at all...

• Yeti Enthusiast

Because it was arguably a much better attraction than the one residing there now, for which no replacement seems to be in sight. HISTA tells a story set sometime around 1994...at least EO was legitimately futuristic and spacey.

Whether you enjoy it or not, EO would draw crowds to the park.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    it was terrifying. I had to take my glasses off every time because of the spider lady. Other than that I'm sure for it's time it was cool. I bet if you try really hard you can find the video online.

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Captain Eo part 1 of 2 ( FULL VERSION )

and

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Captain Eo part 2 of 2 ( FULL VERSION )
    EXACTLY!!! It was freaky and I too took my glasses off when the spider lady appeared.

I was 10 years old when I went to Disneyland for the first time, and I saw Captain EO during that visit. (Please, lets not talk about how old that makes me).

I LOVED that movie. It was the attraction I visited the most during our stay. I must have viewed it 5 or 6 times in the short 3 days we spent in the park. I was a big MJ fan at that age- Thriller and Bad were my two favorite "tapes" for many, many years- maybe that had something to do with it

Im going to Disney World for the first time in a few short months (!!!!) and I would LOVE to see Captain EO again, even if MJ had not passed away. I saw HISTK when i was young too (like the film verison, not the 3D version) and I dont remember a thing about it. Captain EO on the other hand, made a big impact on me...

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    ^ One could argue that he's more famous and popular than Jesus.
    He isn't even as fameous and popular as Lennon, never mind Jesus.

Disney Road

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    ^ One could argue that he's more famous and popular than Jesus.
    And one would loose that argument.
    Just open up a Latino phone book to find all the dudes named after Jesus. There are people who name all their kids Jesus, Jose or Maria.

I love his work and Captain Eo but anyone wanting my opinions can ask elsewhere.

• Minion

just showing the point in this thread with mi chael jackson that no matter who you are as an artist.. you are worth more dead then alive... why didnt you people stand up for EO while he was alive?....why didnt anyone want an EO dvd while he was alive? pay tribute to jackson thru his music...and music alone thats what he was known for..that is his true legacey.. i think its hipocritical to cry for things now that hes no longer among us when you should have raised your voices earleir to celabrate EO while he was alive

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

sunrider, I completely disagree with your assertion. I loved the EO show, and saw it many times when it was at DL. Once they took it out I was sad to see it go, but didn't feel any big need to see it again. But now that Michael's dead, I find that I'd really enjoy seeing EO in a theater setting, with large sound and 3D projection, as a way of remembering the artist when he was alive. His death does indeed make his music much more valuable, and an entire generation that grew up after MJ can now get into a great artist. Nothing at all hypocritical about it!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    just showing the point in this thread with mi chael jackson that no matter who you are as an artist.. you are worth more dead then alive... why didnt you people stand up for EO while he was alive?....why didnt anyone want an EO dvd while he was alive? pay tribute to jackson thru his music...and music alone thats what he was known for..that is his true legacey.. i think its hipocritical to cry for things now that hes no longer among us when you should have raised your voices earleir to celabrate EO while he was alive
    I do not remember this show but know I seen it once long ago. Back when it came out there was not a strong internet society. You now have many boards and sites out there even some dedicated to specific rides. Back then I do not think I owned a DVD player and did not tend to buy much music let alone a Captain Eo cassette.

Back then is different from now whether you are talking about 1920, 1945, 1980, or even 2005. Things change including the internet, instant texting and sending of photos, easy to use and upload cameras, lightweight cameras, and building of online groups that now realize they need to fight to save the things they love in the parks.

SAVE THE XXXX
    How many times were you on or at XXX?
    How many times did you buy stuff related to XXX?

XXX can be the peoplemover, skyway, Fantasyland Theater, the Magic Shop on Main Street, or Captain EO for example. Lots of moaning and griping but then you hear people say they never bought stuff from a shop, never bought pins or other stuff related to a ride or show, and seldom if ever would go out of their way to make sure they bought stuff from a shop, seen a show, or rode an attraction.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910