Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain eo!

• Super Old Guy

Re: Captain eo!

I was a big fan of Captain EO. I'm a SF buff, so any space story is great for me. Sure, it was cheesy, but the effects for the time were incredible. Combine a cool SF story with Michael's music and dance, along with the special effects in the theater, and you have a really memorable show. I have a VHS tape of the showing of Captain EO that MTV did years back. But the sound off of TV doesn't come close to the earth-shattering boom that the theater sound had. It was so cool to be walking out of the show and bopping along to the instrumental version of Another Part of Me. A very cool show from an incredibly talented team.

But I don't think they'll bring it back, at least not to DL - too many bad connotations go along with the modern Michael.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Disneyland is not a place for memorializing dead celebrities.
    Lest we forget the Disney celebrities that are memorialized in the Disneland windows.

Disney Legends - Joe Fowler
    Fowler's Folly was named for Joe Fowler and is where the drydock is located at Fowler's Harbor.

I think some little token of thanks for what he did for Captain Eo and for entertaining us should be done in Disneyland. Maybe his name on some crates at jungle cruise or in Star Tours. A tiny memorial to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    Michael Jackson was a big fan of Disneyland. He was one of us in that regard. He wanted to be in a Disneyland attraction and so Captain EO came to life. In the making of Captain EO special, Michael Eisner credits Michael with knowing more than he did about Disneyland.

The pre-show to Captain EO basically got you excited about seeing the show. There were various clips of the cast putting on make up, rehearsing out of costume etc. The load music was great and there was a star effect that enveloped the entire theater. Whenever Captain EO would rise onto the bridge, the audience would cheer.

The Jungle Cruise skippers used his opening line in their routines, "We're goin' in." The volume was loud. The Spaceship battle was great as lasers flew out of the screen and into the walls. The high speed chase was out of a Star Wars movie (Lucas was involved after all) and was such a rush! The crash was great because a smoke effect poured out from the screen. The music was blasted at you. The glasses were purple.

Having known many ticket sellers at the park, I inquired of them if they had ever sold a ticket to Michael Jackson. A few of them had. The description was typical, Michael Jackson liked to enter the park in the evening by himself, and often used the Disneyland Hotel Monorail to get in. He was often alone without security. He used a disguise which kept him from being mobbed. He was cordial with the ticket sellers and had conversation with them on occasion while waiting. News of his attendance often spread like wildfire if he was spotted in the park.

On the grand opening of Captain EO, it was announced that Michael Jackson was in attendance and again was in disguise, as if there was a challenge to find him.

Rumors had it that he would rent the park for a couple of hours. I worked there one night during such an occasion and saw no one. I heard the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad running for a short time, that was it.

And finally, while watching the Oprah special, filmed at his Neverland Ranch, I saw that he had his own Main Street Station built, a perfect match.

Michael entertained us, truly dazzling. I'm very stunned at this news and am disappointed that this happened to him.

Triton
    I think this post sums up my feelings on the subject exactly. Whether or not you believe that he had an impact on the Disney parks worldwide, he was definitely a major Disney theme park fan and I always thought that was pretty darn cool! RIP MJ

strangely enough I have had the Captain EO poster as my Facebook profile pic for the past few months. It was a good show and everytime I'm at DL and I pass HISTK I say "that thing sucks, they should bring back Captain EO."

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    Lest we forget the Disney celebrities that are memorialized in the Disneland windows.

Disney Legends - Joe Fowler
    Fowler's Folly was named for Joe Fowler and is where the drydock is located at Fowler's Harbor.

I think some little token of thanks for what he did for Captain Eo and for entertaining us should be done in Disneyland. Maybe his name on some crates at jungle cruise or in Star Tours. A tiny memorial to him.
    What did Michael Jackson do for Jungle Cruise or Star Tours?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• "I Break Things"

What did Michael Jackson do for Jungle Cruise or Star Tours?
    On that argument you would loose because he pretty much was the Captain EO Show and as many have stated it was extremely popular...

However I do agree that a window on Main Street, or flag at half mast, would be an overstatement. His contribution to Disney was specific to one popular show (during the "peak" of his career I would say) that was shown in multiple parks but has not been shown in many years. I feel a re-showing of the show in DTD's AMC would be a proper tribute. If Disney donated ticket sale proceeds to one of Michael's charities that would be even better.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    On that argument you would loose because he pretty much was the Captain EO Show and as many have stated it was extremely popular...

However I do agree that a window on Main Street, or flag at half mast, would be an overstatement. His contribution to Disney was specific to one popular show (during the "peak" of his career I would say) that was shown in multiple parks but has not been shown in many years. I feel a re-showing of the show in DTD's AMC would be a proper tribute. If Disney donated ticket sale proceeds to one of Michael's charities that would be even better.
    I'm aware that Michael Jackson was the star of Captain EO. But I fail to see how paying tribute to him on Jungle Cruise or Star Tours props makes any sense.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm aware that Michael Jackson was the star of Captain EO. But I fail to see how paying tribute to him on Jungle Cruise or Star Tours props makes any sense.
    I agree. If they want to do some special showings of Captain EO or do a Captain EO special event, that would be an appropriate tribute for Disney to make.

However, I wonder what the legal implications of Disney showing Captain EO are. Do they need to get clearance from George Lucas? If they show it for a few days at Honey I shrunk the Audience theater, do they need an OK from the sponsor? There would certainly be some things that would need to be worked out before they could even consider doing this.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Don't be such a guppy ;)

Michael Jackson was a big fan of Disneyland. He was one of us in that regard. He wanted to be in a Disneyland attraction and so Captain EO came to life. In the making of Captain EO special, Michael Eisner credits Michael with knowing more than he did about Disneyland.

The pre-show to Captain EO basically got you excited about seeing the show. There were various clips of the cast putting on make up, rehearsing out of costume etc. The load music was great and there was a star effect that enveloped the entire theater. Whenever Captain EO would rise onto the bridge, the audience would cheer.

The Jungle Cruise skippers used his opening line in their routines, "We're goin' in." The volume was loud. The Spaceship battle was great as lasers flew out of the screen and into the walls. The high speed chase was out of a Star Wars movie (Lucas was involved after all) and was such a rush! The crash was great because a smoke effect poured out from the screen. The music was blasted at you. The glasses were purple.

Having known many ticket sellers at the park, I inquired of them if they had ever sold a ticket to Michael Jackson. A few of them had. The description was typical, Michael Jackson liked to enter the park in the evening by himself, and often used the Disneyland Hotel Monorail to get in. He was often alone without security. He used a disguise which kept him from being mobbed. He was cordial with the ticket sellers and had conversation with them on occasion while waiting. News of his attendance often spread like wildfire if he was spotted in the park.

On the grand opening of Captain EO, it was announced that Michael Jackson was in attendance and again was in disguise, as if there was a challenge to find him.

Rumors had it that he would rent the park for a couple of hours. I worked there one night during such an occasion and saw no one. I heard the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad running for a short time, that was it.

And finally, while watching the Oprah special, filmed at his Neverland Ranch, I saw that he had his own Main Street Station built, a perfect match.

Michael entertained us, truly dazzling. I'm very stunned at this news and am disappointed that this happened to him.

Triton
    Yes, he certainly was a Disneyland fan like us. I hope that they bring Captain EO back in his honor, even if it's for a few months. People all over the world are mourning the loss of such a legend. I think it would be a nice tribute if they did.

• "I Break Things"

I wasn't referring to Jungle Crusie, but a Captain EO reference on Star Tours would be in theme... and since it is Lucas would equally make sense.

I was busy at the time and did not read the entire quote... I thought the comment was in regards to Michael's contributions vs that of Fowler's... after reading the post you quoted I would have to say only Star Tours reference would make sense.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

My mom says Michael Jackson performed for free at her gradnite the year that Space Mountain open....

Anyone else know if this is true?

He obviously wasn't as huge as he was after Thriller then, but he was still kind of a big deal especially since they grew up around the time Jackson 5 was popular. He seemed to have quite a love for the parks.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Question Re: Captain eo!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Your idea really isn't that great....
    Thanks for your contribution. Explain.

Disney Road

Does Captain Eo have any relation to the Escape from Witch Mountain or whatever? I haven't seen it myself, but I have a feeling it doesn't.

I would much rather some in-park tribute than a random extra on a DVD with no relevance.

If anything it would belong on one of those "A Day At Disneyland" type DVD's, but I don't know if they still make those.

• Closed Account

Disney should bring back Captain EO...immediately. Advertise it on billboards on EVERY SoCal freeway, and the park will see attendance like it hasn't seen since the 50th.

But, no one ever accused them of actually being SMART.

The appropriateness of "Partners" could be, and has been, argued on these boards.
    What about the Frank Wells memorial in the Matterhorn?

In the making of Captain EO special, Michael Eisner credits Michael with knowing more than he did about Disneyland.
    Well, the same is true about millions of people, though.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast