Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
  1. #16

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,949

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelica Gracey
    Wotan, is it me , or do you find the children at the GCH seem more calm than at the DLH? Maybe it's because of all the character theming at DLH, too much sensory overload? I for some reason don't notice the children as much at the GCH, weird... Just my thought.
    Yes, I do--and I wonder if that's a function of the pure massive size of that atrium/lobby. Although the pool seemed a bit more sedate, too. Hmm.

    However, I notice that kids tend to get a little rambunctious (when was the last time I got to use that word) when either checking in or checking out--and for some reason, that front desk area really picks up the squeaks and squawks and amplifies them.

  2. #17

    • Wishing I was at the DLR!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Too far from the magic...
    Posts
    417

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Yes, I do--and I wonder if that's a function of the pure massive size of that atrium/lobby. Although the pool seemed a bit more sedate, too. Hmm.

    However, I notice that kids tend to get a little rambunctious (when was the last time I got to use that word) when either checking in or checking out--and for some reason, that front desk area really picks up the squeaks and squawks and amplifies them.

    Yes, hmm...

  3. #18

    • Minion FOREVER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Yes, I do--and I wonder if that's a function of the pure massive size of that atrium/lobby. Although the pool seemed a bit more sedate, too. Hmm.

    However, I notice that kids tend to get a little rambunctious (when was the last time I got to use that word) when either checking in or checking out--and for some reason, that front desk area really picks up the squeaks and squawks and amplifies them.
    Hmmm.. I never thought of that either. And both of you are right, the kids go kind of
    crazy once they get into the drive-way of DLH. Whereas they're lot quieter in GCH.
    IMHO, it's the theming (giant Mickey in the driveway is a give-away I guess :-)
    and the overwhelming scale of the GCH lobby/atrium.

    Never have stayed at PP, but it's too far in our opinion. DLH is Disneyland-themed more
    for kids, but GCH is nicer overall. Similarly with the pools. Also GCH is very close
    to DL and basically in DCA. It's really convenient for riding Soar'in late in the
    evening with NO lines!

    But in all fairness, you can't go wrong either way.

  4. #19

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,949

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    One of my favorite DLR moments was from staying at GCH--we had a park view room, and slept with the door open, and hearing the whistles of the trains getting their steam up first thing in the morning was magical.

    And made up for hearing some gravelly voiced guy yelling over the park PA at 4 AM that people needed to work faster on getting things ready.

  5. #20

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Debate Lounge Dummy : )
    Posts
    11,113

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman
    Grand Californian, no question. Expensive, but worth it.
    The Disneyland hotel is way overated. The rooms are way to small for the price.
    I feel the exact opposite.

    I think the GCH is over-rated, the rooms are tiny and I've had some bad experiences there.

    I 've gotten some great deals at the DLH....$129 a night for rooms in the Sierra Tower with views of both DTD and the swimming pool. The service throughout the hotel was great, the rooms were great and I loved the convenience of going down the elevator, crossing the street and being practically at the Monorail Station.

  6. #21

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    152

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    I have only stayed at the DLH, and I loved it. I have always wanted to stay at the GC, but it is way to expensive if you are just resting and showering there!

  7. #22

    • Dreams do come true
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    876

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    Eventhough I live only 15 mins away I stayed at the DLH about 1 1/2 years ago with friends. The room was towards the back, I don't remember the name of the tower but I think I would have rather stayed at the Tower of Terror. At the DLH I killed 2 cockroaches within 3 hours. For the price of the stay thats just not right. We did get a small discount.

  8. #23

    • With my wife....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ... in paradise!
    Posts
    536

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    Haven't stayed at GCH yet.... but we're dying to try it out. The massive lobby is just breathtaking. However, the price per night is also breathtaking, just not in quite the same way. Have to save my pennies for that one!

    Otherwise, we've tried both the PPH and DLH, and I've got to say that PPH was in many ways superior to the DLH. The room and the view were both excellent, and since it's a bit cheaper, it's a much better deal. It's true that it's just a bit too far from the park, but to save $30 or $40 a night, I think my feet can take some extra abuse. I highly recommend the PPH, especially for couples who stay without children.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

    --Walt Disney

  9. #24

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    I never saw a cockroach at DLH, and we had a wonderful time.
    I would try GC if we could afford it, I would want to face Down town Disney!
    With a family of five, and weeklong stays, it just isn't an option for us.
    But GC is simply beautiful. Also, can't you use any of the pools while staying in any of the park hotels?

  10. #25

    • loves a silver lining
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    15,597
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    I love the DLH. Sierra tower facing DTD is my favorite location. The rooms are very nice size and I love the theming!! I prefer the bigger rooms with the sofabed, the others are a tad too small. My boys love love love it too.

    We haven't stayed at GCH yet, the boys don't care for it and I'm not willing to pay that much more $$ for it. We looked at a room once and were very surprised that they were so small. if I could get a good AP rate I'd defintely try it though



    Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

  11. #26

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,584

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    My standard answer for deciding hotels: Shoose one for this trip. Then the next time you visit, stay at the other. Then, provide a detailed comparison of the two in a thread here.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  12. #27

    • Disney Gram
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    252

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    I stayed at the DLH for eight days in June and had a wonderful time. The room was very comfortable and clean...two queen beds, table, chair, desk with chair (my granddaughter and I). Room service was prompt...all of the staff was helpful, courteous, etc. The pool and surrounding area well maintained, etc., etc. I love the convenience of it...straight down to the Monorail....packages delivered from the park...monorail home at midnight with access to a shorter line.

    We are returning in November for eight days again and I looked around at other hotels....even some of the good neighbor ones...but just could not stay anywhere else!! Pixie dust in the room....yep, "I believe"!!

  13. #28

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Debate Lounge Dummy : )
    Posts
    11,113

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    Quote Originally Posted by travelmom
    Also, can't you use any of the pools while staying in any of the park hotels?
    I have seen many debates about this. From what I was told by the CM's at the front desks of each hotel, when the Paradise Pier Hotel pools were being renovated , the guests were allowed to use the DLH pools. But now that the pool is finished the guests at the PPH are only supposed to use their own. I've also heard that the guests at the GCH can use any pool they like, but I've heard others say that's not true and that the room keys only work at the GCH. My personal feeling is that the guests should only be allowed to use the pools at the hotel where they're staying since they're paying for that privilege.

    Oh , and I like the DLH pool better then the GCH pool which is one more reason why I like the DLH better!!

  14. #29

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    37

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    We've stayed at the DLH twice, prior to the opening of GC, and have stayed at GC 5 times since it's opening, going back for a 5th in November. The GC location is just so much nicer, and given that were a family of 5, the bunk beds with a pull out is just perfect for us, even with the GC rooms being smaller. Once the kids can do the park non stop all day long, we'll stay elsewhere, but GC makes it so easy to head back for a break during the day, or for a quick run into DCA for a couple of rides.

    What I have noticed after staying at the GC twice in the opening year, and then once a year after that, the service and perks were STELLAR in the first year, and then just good the next couple years. The drop off was so noticable that we considered not staying there anymore, because the perceived value had dropped so much. It was the location that convinced us to return.

    Hum, it was pretty difficult to get reservations at GC this time around. I take back my positive reviews about the GC. The place is a flea bag dump with no redeeming value, you're much better off at the DLH. There, that should make reservations easier next year. :-)

  15. #30

    • Still wants to be a cat!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    2.4 Miles from Disneyland
    Posts
    7,149

    Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian

    For Thanksgiving weekend I made reservations for the GCH back in March, and it was filling up then. Always made them well ahead of time, especially during the 50th celebration.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!


    - Wolfette

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] grand californian hotel
    By kyliemisek in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 10:20 PM
  2. Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian Hotel Reviews
    By Disneyfan4 in forum So. Cal. Hotel Reviews
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
  3. Looking for Grand Californian Hotel Pin!
    By WDWGirl in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 08:27 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 08:22 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 06:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •