Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Clearing crowds quicker

Summer time for Disneyland means big night time shows. Fantasmic, the fireworks. It also means big night time crowds. The time from before Fantasmic starts until sometimes after the fireworks is a mess of humanity on the west side of the park, plaza and main street. I thought of two simple ideas that might help out a lot.

The first idea is one that many people have brought up in the past : adding additional themed walkways behind Main Street, arcades like they have In Paris. I realize the west side behind Main Street doesn't have the room really but the east side does, doesn't it? Just a long simple walkway keeping with the theme of the area, nothing too fancy or expensive and used only when the number of people in these areas become seemingly dangerous.

The second idea is why don't they have the Disneyland Rail Road set up to take some of the masses out of the west side after Fantasmic. Set it up so there are two totally empty trains back to back coming into Frontierland station. The second Fantasmic ends, the first train pulls in and takes a load and takes off. Then the second train follows right in and scoops up a second train full of people and waits at the station for the next green light. I am not sure how many people each train can hold, but it would help get a good number of them off the walkways, out of the area and away from the sea of people trying to exit through Frontierland and Andventureland.

I think this is an issue Disney really should pay attention to. For hundreds of thousands of people, this crowded mess is going to be their final impression of the park at the end of the day. You can see people getting mad and pushy trying to make their way through the area. An entire day of fun could end on a sour note for a guest because of these crowds and cause many of people to say "I am not going back there again for a long time".

Re: Clearing crowds quicker

West is the only side that needs and can support theming. East side doesn't need it for Guest flow, and is used for parade staging. And the trains already run after fantasmic unless the wind is blowing unfavorably.

• Disneyland Historian

Each of the trains running holds approximately 200-300 guests (depending on the rolling stock). By the end of the first Fantasmic!, only two trains are still on the track for the night. Assuming they were completely empty at New Orleans, they would only be able to take about 600 of the 12,000 people watching the show, which isn't really that much. It would also mean that guests at the other stations find full trains entering the stations and are made to wait longer.

• Keep Moving Forward

Neither side of Main Street has the room, and most of the congestion takes place on the west side of the park. Main Street typically experiences congestion only after the fireworks, and that's going into the park, not out.

As for the train idea, while it's a nice thought, it doesn't seem very efficient due to loading, checks, etc. I don't know what the procedure is, so I don't know how long it would take to load up two trains in comparison to having everyone exit out as they do now. One thing I do know - most of those people just want to exit the park, and they want to do it as quickly as possible. If they were to take the train, they'd have to go all the way around the entire park just to get back to Main Street. Most would rather just face the crowds.

• Mortals pay a token fee.

I've always thought they should just add an exit over by Splash Mountain. That way guests could just exit the park and they are already right next to the parking structure...

But I've heard so many arguments against that too..

• Banned User

Exiting out of New Orleans Square or Splash Mountain would take the guest backstage which is a problem in itself. The area to the west of Splash Mountain is the backstage road then the tramway then the Disneyland Way. Thus guests could would have to exit by crossing the tramway then out onto Disneyland then Walking to the Parking Gagage. The other option would be exiting backstage then heading southeast along the road and past New Orleans Square. If you look on a google map you can see just how far the walk would be and the southern detour around Pirates ride building at night.

The train has been used by some guests but it is about 5 ot 10 minutes around from New Orleans Square to Main Street. Then you face the tunnels that are only wide enough for 2 to 4 guests across and have another bottle neck. Tomorrowland is not a place to be when people are packing the trains at night.

Maybe for times when they have one show they could add some entertainment to keep the crowds there for a little longer. I wish I had a better answer but based on the configuration of the park and human nature there is not much that they are not already doing.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Another option is to get rid of Fantasmic!.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

And can we talk about the trams? Why does it seem that a shift is getting off right when the lines are building? Twice now we have had our hopes dashed when after trying to be patient and waiting for a tram and one arrives only to have a CM park it in the middle and walk away...with huge lines all around us.

Not blaming the CM, but 9:00 - 12:00 seems like an odd time to be shutting down trams.

• HauntedOne999

Technically the West-side of Main Street could get an Arcade. It couldnt be too wide(maybe only 10 feet) but it could go from the Egg House Gate to the InnBetween. The Arcade would only need to be open during entertainment.

Between Egg House Gate and Center Street would be easy... the Cast break area would need to be moved back to allow the hallway(and if reduced in size could still allow a float staging area).

Due to the Lockers and Cone Shop, the arcade would have to angle out between Center Street and Inn Between. In this area alot would have to be redone... GC storage would need to be moved and the medical trailer would also need to be removed.

* personally tho I think that they need to remodel the First Aid and Lost Children Station... it really is not in theme with Main Street. What they should do is make it 2 floors and have it themed like a Victorian Hospital (during the concepts of City Hall there was going to be a Hospital and a Hall of Records) it would be the perfect upgrade to the area and it would blend well with the Baby Station.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Banned User

i think they should just have a bigger time separation between the shows, that way people can have time to clear out before the next one starts. or have either fantasmic or the fireworks start earlier in the evening.

• Rock Star Minion

There wouldn't be any crowd problems if the shows sucked.
    Too bad they don't.

Here's a tip: don't leave the park after F! or fireworks. Take in another hour of attractions. Let everyone else leave.

I've done the train around to Tomorrowland Station, and then caught up with family in time to view the "Remember" Fireworks show.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Mickey Ear Biter

Wink Re: Clearing crowds quicker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    There wouldn't be any crowd problems if the shows sucked.
    Too bad they don't.

Here's a tip: don't leave the park after F! or fireworks. Take in another hour of attractions. Let everyone else leave.

I've done the train around to Tomorrowland Station, and then caught up with family in time to view the "Remember" Fireworks show.
    Besides You can people watch! That is always fun!.

Actually, sometimes when it gets really busy, cast members do let guests back though behind penny arcade and the ice cream shop.

I don't know how and when they decide to do this, but its not often enough (IMNSHO)
    Sometimes we cannot help, but be a little over dramatic...

• Senior Monorail Minion

Trams have been getting better recently because they're running at Summer Capacity and using all 4 tram stops at each station, and lines haven't been that bad.

The train, however, is another issue. They really need to have a third train on until 11:00pm. With all the shows and people just wanting to leave in general, they need it. Actually, this is how I would like to see the train schedule for Summer/ Weekends:

8:00 am- 9:00 am: 2 Trains
    10:00 am- 11:00 am: 3 Trains
    11:00 am- 5:00 pm 4 Trains
    5:00 pm- 11:00 pm- 3 Trains
    11:00 pm- 12:00pm- 2 Trains
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    T* personally tho I think that they need to remodel the First Aid and Lost Children Station... it really is not in theme with Main Street. What they should do is make it 2 floors and have it themed like a Victorian Hospital (during the concepts of City Hall there was going to be a Hospital and a Hall of Records) it would be the perfect upgrade to the area and it would blend well with the Baby Station.
    I really don't see the need.

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    Maybe for times when they have one show they could add some entertainment to keep the crowds there for a little longer. I wish I had a better answer but based on the configuration of the park and human nature there is not much that they are not already doing.
    My suggestion is to get on a ride or 2 before exiting the park after the fireworks. Otherwise you are dealing with crowds exiting the park and crowds trying to get on the trams. Also lines in the evening die down significantly for the most part. Perhaps the Disney Parking toll booth could hand out flyers suggesting this much like they had flyers to pass out in the past.

Maybe even people watch the chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Another option is to get rid of Fantasmic!.
    This doesn't need an answer, but this is more counter-productive.

Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy View Post
    i think they should just have a bigger time separation between the shows, that way people can have time to clear out before the next one starts. or have either fantasmic or the fireworks start earlier in the evening.
    This just gives people the idea they can do it all in one night. There is a reason why DEP is at 8:45PM and starts from the back of the park to the front. Controlling the crowds from rushing to Disneyland for fireworks. With 9pm F! ending right before 9:25 fireworks, keeps 9pm F! from rushing elsewhere to view the fireworks.

I think the "earlier timed" performances would go to parades.

Also you can view the fireworks ANYWHERE in the park. In front of the castle and down Main Street is the #1 choice. Additional viewing is in Small World Mall as the #2 choice for the video clips displayed on the facade. #3 choice will probably be F! due to people already in that viewing area. #4 choice will have to go to Tomorrowland. Now if you try to stop in heavy traffic flow and view the show just minutes before it starts, there's no excuse, people have been waiting up to 2-3 hours. You can't expect to see the show in a prime viewing area when it starts. You didn't want to wait in the first place. That was a personal choice.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 06-29-2009 at 02:56 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

if you want to clear out guests out faster...
    1 clearly mark the exit line and entrance line
    2. have the cast memebers really pay attention and not wave the flashlights like they are bell ringers for the salvation army.
    3. give more time between shows..
    4. i beleave they should find a way to limit the views like a bracelet for each showing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast