Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What show is currently playing at the outdoor theatre by Toon Town?

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanefreak View Post
    It is just to hidden and not much park publicity in that area that whole side of the park could become a new attraction Don't you think
    Yes, and there is quite a bit of essentially unused space behind it that goes all the way to Big Thunder Ranch. Together with Toontown and adjacent backstage areas that had at least at one time been slated for expansion, there's a huge amount of room for attractions or even a major new land.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    I want them to bring back the Beauty and the Beast Stage Show. I saw it once in 1993 and again in 1994 but never got to see it again after that. The area never really did recover after losing that show, it was always off the mark with every subsequent show. I doubt Disney will do anything with the area now, it's been forgotten and that's the way they like it. Out of sight, out of mind... and out of the budget.
    It seems that the Hyperion Theater at DCA has entirely taken the place of staging this type of show at Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanefreak View Post
    Yeah some sort of Show the Fantasy Faire is outdated because Pixies have taken over
    It's not as though Disney is going to drop their Princess marketing just because they have the Fairy thing going on. Some girls would rather be one than the other, and some might want to be both. Or boys, for that matter--I don't judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    There was a time when entertainment was important to the Disneyland Resort. I remember when there was a daytime and night time parade, Fantasmic, Festival of Fools, and Pocahontas show, and fireworks all playing at the park at the same time! You could spend a whole day going to shows and parades.
    Good observation, and there used to be more ride-type attractions at Disneyland, too. But now that the DLR has two parks, what Disney wants to do, as much as possible, is spread all that entertainment between them. For example, as long as one park has a Broadway-type show, the other doesn't need one. And as long as one park has a decent daytime parade, the other doesn't need one. This is sort of a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" type of thing--a zero-sum game they're playing. They're doing it because quite frankly they can. Where are the consequences for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Now we have a crappy street celebration and no shows except for (the still fantastic) Fantasmic and scaled back fireworks.
    That's what many were afraid would happen when DCA was built. The new park would need more investment, which ultimately would take away from the existing park.

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    I remember when they had the Dick Tracy show and once they had some sort of Christmas show. They took out the show at Pirate's Lair and at the Fantasyland Theater. Do you remember when they had daily stuff at the stage in DCA's Hollywood area? I remember when I could walk through there and there always was entertainment.
    Isn't it interesting how the company has so much more money now but spends less of it? That's because profit per se doesn't really matter--what matters is how much it grows over time (it's the same for every corporation), which is helped along by cutting costs. Despite the rampant "decline in degrees" Disneyland has been suffering, it's pretty well packed with people who keep coming back for more of the same. From the company's point of view, why should they invest in the park and spend more for entertainment? Look at the rave reviews most people are giving the new non-parade (it was only ever intended as a supplement to the real parade) as if it were the parade. It's no substitute, but people are eating it up anyway and liking it. Frankly, I'm disgusted, but Disney was right again--give the people something cheaper and inferior, and they'll still love it (except for a few detractors) and come in droves.

The only way to solve this problem is to reject what the company is doing by rejecting Disneyland. With Pressler in charge before, the response might have been to spiral downward until the park was ruined, but the current management might actually bring the level of investment back up again in order to bring people back.

• Banned User

YEp, give them poor quality and they still love it. It was packed the last time I was there during the parade time of day. Thereare are only so many spots and they are filled as people rather see a low quality parade than stand in lie for hours.

I guess college business training is worthless as I seem not to be on par with Disney management. They should tear out the motorboat area and all of the area where the theater is and make it something to attract people.

they do not need the princess stuff for sale as it is sold all over the parks. If it was unique then maybe keep it but it is the same stuff you get at BBB and on Main Street.

Long ago at the Los Angeles Zoo there was a lecture at the zoo on zoo management. The dude said that his goal was to get animals that were rare forms of the common animals. Give the people lions but make sure they were endangered rare ones. In other words meet many markets as possible. Disney could meet the neurovariants, mobility aid users, foreign language guests, and those who do not go on many rides like the infirm, old, and babies. Shows are for so many types of people.

I guess I need to go back to college and relearn how to run a business.

• Imaginative Possibilities

Bring back the Dick Tracy show...well it should be in DCA...but whatever as long it comes back.
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    I guess I need to go back to college and relearn how to run a business.
    I posted about this in another thread awhile ago... it seems that business people think completely differently these days. It seems like at some point the teaching they receive changed their focus and goals as business people.

And it is showing especially at Disney with decisions to remove shows rather than design one that will pull people in. Sometimes expenses are good when they make people happy, and an amazingly well put together show can do that. Give people a break to sit and relax and be entertained rather than standing in a 30 - 60 minute line, their feet still aching from walking all day for 5 minutes with 3 random princesses. The value for the money just isn't there.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Hide and Seek with Anna

Don't bring it back I don't like Dick Tracy. I though that comic book was boarding.

I think this is one of the areas in which WDW totally kicks DLR, and it makes me so sad. It's especially obvious during the holidays, where you've got (IMO) one of the best parades Disney has done, Boo To You, and a new fireworks show, and then into Christmas, with another new parade and new fireworks show. You've also got CTS and Twas for Christmas (well you had Twas... now it's homeless), as well as a Christmas overlay for MJJP and possibly for BPB this year. Then all year long you've got a castle show, the B&B show, and FOLK, plus two parades and a "street show" at the MK, and a parade at DHS and AK. And then Fantasmic.

Granted, they let their parades run and run and run until they're just skeletons of what used to be, but at least they're making more of an effort than DLR is right now as far as entertainment goes. As an entertainment CM for WDW, this is a major downside to my wanting to switch to DLR. There's just not enough high-level quality entertainment. Like someone else already mentioned, there are quite a few highly talented dancers and performers working at DLR right now, and they're prancing around main street doing lame watered-down choreography. So so sad.

They need to get a stage show back to the FL theater ASAP, and then ship all the stuff for Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas from WDW to DLR. If WDW is stupid enough to get rid of it, DLR should take it without hesitation. Granted, since the name of the game is PC now, and Twas focuses only on Christmas instead of the all-inclusive "holiday," I can't say I'm surprised WDW is letting it die.

What a shame.

• Banned User

I liked the Fantasyland Theater shows because us disabled people could sit down. Try doing the fireworks when you need to sit down or are in a stroller or wheelchair. I asked the people on the parade where I could sit to watch and they said nothing is Main Street unless I walked all the way back to the other end. I was waiting for my ECV to be recharged and decided I rather park in the shade and mellow out. I have yet to see the whole parade due to time constraints and the fact that I do not want to set in the hot sun waiting for a stupid parade. Give us some shows that are disabled friendly and please I miss setting on the curb waiting then watching a parade.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I'm not really a fan of parades, but I accept that a lot of people like them (even though they cause traffic headaches) and at least they move through the park, giving more people a chance to see them.

I love fireworks, but my complaint is that in order to see the show fully, you have to 'camp out' on Main St. I don't go to Disneyland to sit on the cement and get stomped on by unruly kids. Then when the show starts somebody inevitably puts their kid on their shoulders and then we can't see anything anyway.

Shows, however...I don't like them at all. If I want to see a show, I'll go to a theater. They've always seemed more 'filler' than anything else and the parts I've seen are (like the current parade or the 'show' before the film at the El Cap) sort of embarrassing. I'd rather the space utilized for the Princess area be revamped and a good, E-ticket ride put in. Space is too precious at DL.

If you do like all of those things, then as Robert Cook said, you're probably very unhappy at the execs. spreading one parks' entertainments out into two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12