Page 128 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2878118125126127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2033

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker VI

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    While I hope it is something more, I'm betting it's a combination of a simple refurbishment and closure for the Swings redo.
    Yeah, I'm hoping they're completely removing them, but I have a feeling they're just being shut down to allow for construction equipment to go in and out of the lagoon. I can cross my fingers, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    I really doubt that. After 10 years Islands Of Adventure is quickly shuffling its themes around new and shinier franchises. Cars Land will have a limited shelf life, and probably won't exist in 20-30 years, if DCA is even still around then in a recognizable form. The Fantasyland attractions Walt built were already based on classic stories firmly entrenched in people's minds. In 200 years people will still know who Peter Pan and Snow White are, but Lightning McQueen will be a footnote in history. It's like building a skyscraper on quicksand.

I think people are excited for Captain EO because it reminds them of a time when the park wasn't a synergistic nightmare.
    Universal is changing Islands of Adventure not because the lost continent faded into existence and people did not like it. as a matter of fact they are even keeping part of it. It is changing because it saw the $$$ signs with the possibility of the Potter Franchise.

I also doubt that most people are excited to see Captain EO because it reminds them of a non Synergy era. A non Synergy era never existed, there has always been synergy at the parks and lots of it. Captain EO with Michael Jackson was built because Disney and Lucas saw $$ during the time Michael was still a big name in music.

Synergy is something that stands out more to Disney fans than the overall guest that comes out to spend time at the park with their families and just enjoy the place. It is more likely for regular guests to notice when the latest Disney character from the latest movie is not available to meet. why do you think TDA was pushed into coming up with those mini pre-parade calvacades that promote the latest addition to the Disney family of characters. They were being hounded by guests asking why they could not find certain characters that their children wanted to see. It had always been a tradition for Disney. Showcase the characters whether it be with a parade, an attraction or meet and greet the day the movie was released.

Cars Land doesn't represent reality, it represents a reality as depicted in a CG animated film with talking cars. There is no broader theme like Adventureland or Main Street to go on. It would be like Walt building "Peter Pan Land" instead of Fantasyland...no room for expansion beyond the limited vision you've set for the area.

This "no rules" level of creativity just doesn't interest me. Disneyland was built to mimic while at the same time enhancing reality. Cars Land does nothing but sell Lunchboxes, waiting patiently for the time when another lunchbox-selling franchise comes along to replace it. There's no creativity in the idea, no matter how much theming they add to hide that.
    There are "no rules" even if you want to create some.
    Disneyland had none when it was built and DCA's Carsland continues that tradition.

I just realize that there really is not point in having this multi page discussion about what one person or the other thinks of Cars Land. No matter what it is being built and come 2012 i could almost bet that the small group of people that are so against this addition and its purpose in DCA will be right there in line trying to get on the attractions along with thousands other guests
    Last edited by Baloo; 08-11-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Route 66 is an important part of the history of the growth of this nation and the car culture of California.
    Very good point. And when it comes to classic cars, they are very popular all around the country. Here in Minnesota, I don't think a weekend goes by that there isn't a classic car show. Except in the winter which starts in 3 weeks and ends 9 months later. End sarcasm.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Route 66 is an important part of the history of the growth of this nation and the car culture of California.
    Im not saying as an idea for the land but as the name of the land. Sorry shouldve specified. I dont like Route 66 as the name of the Carsland area.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Imagineer to be

So you want the guest to journey to California (The Park) and then go to Cars Land to look back on the simple life they left behind? Is Cars Land like an anarchist state in the larger area of California Adventure? The Cars attractions could have easily been transplanted into an environment that was uniquely Californian, offering the chance for other ideas to springboard off of a larger theme. Instead, it offers a very limited movie-based experience.

There is no broader theme like Adventureland or Main Street to go on. It would be like Walt building "Peter Pan Land" instead of Fantasyland...no room for expansion beyond the limited vision you've set for the area.

Disneyland was built to mimic while at the same time enhancing reality. Cars Land does nothing but sell Lunchboxes, waiting patiently for the time when another lunchbox-selling franchise comes along to replace it. There's no creativity in the idea, no matter how much theming they add to hide that.

Quote Originally Posted by DlandresortCalifan View Post
    The same goes for disneyland and dca. If disney creates lands and rides based off the current trends, how is that creative? How does that stand the test of time? Its so easy to just create a themed land based off a pre existing franchise because, well, it already exists. Trying to come up with a unique, generally themed land and figuring out what kinds of themed rides fit within the land takes much more creative execution then simply having a pre existing franchise to go off

Those two quotes say it all. This is what I was trying to explain a couple of pages back but it got lost in the rampage of arguments. As always in these boards

Quick question. Will the cememt gear looking thing foundation for SSS be above or below water once the lagoon is filled. I'm really hoping for the latter but because it's filled with dirt I'm starting to worry...

Quote Originally Posted by thatonekid View Post
    Quick question. Will the cememt gear looking thing foundation for SSS be above or below water once the lagoon is filled. I'm really hoping for the latter but because it's filled with dirt I'm starting to worry...
    Mostly below water with just a small portion above.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Truecoat View Post
    I am wondering if they chose Carsland not just for the movie but the option to make it a "cars" land in the future. If you called it Radiator Springs, you are definately locking in a theme of the movie Cars. If you call it Carsland, one day you change it from talking cars to real cars and problem solved! Ok, I know it would take much longer than a day but you get the idea.
    Except all the branding, signage, art, etc is all to the Cars movie, not 'cars' as a generic term.

They are using Cars in the proper name sense. Its not much different to change from 'Bobs' to 'Route 66' in your scenario.. as virtually no naming/branding could be reused.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by baloo View Post
    no matter what it is being built and come 2012 i could almost bet that the small group of people that are so against this addition and its purpose in dca will be right there in line trying to get on the attractions along with thousands other guests
    ding ding ding ding.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Except all the branding, signage, art, etc is all to the Cars movie, not 'cars' as a generic term.

They are using Cars in the proper name sense. Its not much different to change from 'Bobs' to 'Route 66' in your scenario.. as virtually no naming/branding could be reused.
    Well, let me be the first to congratulate you on pointing out how little I know. I hate going through life not knowing as much as other people and now I've found someone that can answer all my questions. Today is my lucky day and I'll look back on every day before this as a day that was wasted with wondering and bemusement. Awesome!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by jasonryan106 View Post
    The reface will not add rides or add capacity, just waste money.
    “Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.”
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    “Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.”
    -Walt Disney
    Great Quote
    "I have been up against tough competition all my life. I wouldn't know how to get along without it"
    -Walt Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Truecoat View Post
    Well, let me be the first to congratulate you on pointing out how little I know. I hate going through life not knowing as much as other people and now I've found someone that can answer all my questions. Today is my lucky day and I'll look back on every day before this as a day that was wasted with wondering and bemusement. Awesome!
    If you want a one-sided discussion - a discussion forum is not the place for your thoughts. If you have something constructive to say about my comments, please do so, otherwise please keep your sarcasm and nastiness to yourself.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Concerning the debate about Carsland, keep in mind that name changes may occur at any time - the "Discovery Mountain"-marquee had been already up at Disneyland Paris when they decided to change the attraction's name to "Space Mountain". Also, it might have been awkward to announce an entire new land called "Route 66" while the Route 66-section in Paradise Pier was still around.
    From a marketing point of view, "Carsland" is certainly a good choive (regardless of whether it will be the actual name of the land or not), because it tells people what to expect and thus gets them excited about the expansion.
    Need magic?

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Wow, all this backlash at Carsland which I see as one of the biggest most immersive lands opening in the new DCA. While I agree with many posts, (needs a different name, a land based on one movie dosen't work, etc..), I still cannot wait for Carsland and RSR in particular. If the artwork is any indication, it is going to be awesome. Plus the rockwork will further help block the outside world. Win-Win.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Pilot EdForceOne

well if anything.. you see consistency...

toystory land...
    carsland...

etc

Apparently JL must be fine with it.. I can't imagine him letting anyone misuse the Pixar jewels.

Am I evil? yes, I am