Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solo Trip?

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

Re: Solo Trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Homan View Post
    Np:

My Reasons for wanting to go Solo:
    - My work has been really hectic for the past weeks. Plus, I have gone to 3 weddings and participated in them, and a ton of events over the past month. I am a little tired of my friends and family (I love my friends and family, but I feel like I need some relax time.)

- I would love to have a trip to Disneyland where I can literally do exactly what I want and not worry about the people I am with.

- Depending on who I go to DL with, I often need to treat because of circumstances, and honestly a trip where I only have to pay for myself is nice.

- I have a family BBQ on Sat, and I think 3 days with family might drive me nuts.

- Also, as a kid I always dreamed of hanging out at Disneyland by myself. And that hour I got to spend at Disneyland a few months back was really fun, I listended to podcasts on my iphone and rode splash mountain at 11:55pm 3 times in a row (No one ever wants to ride this ride when I go with others).

- I don't want to plan a trip for anyone. I am usually the person making plans for people, and the person in charge in most situation, and I feel a little burnt out in life lately. Planned 2 bachelor parties, 2 trips to vegas and tahoe, and a few B-day things, I just am tired of planning things for other people.

- So main reason I want to go solo is that I feel like I need a break from life for a day.

Reasons for not going:
    - I am a 25 year old male and I don't want to look wierd hanging out at what is primarly a kids park. When I go their with guys and girls my age they always make fun of me when I want to ride the fantasyland rides. I have still not ridden peterpan, snow white, mr toad in 20ish years because of this). I road similar rides in Disney world last year, but the group I was with was feeling like riding the kids rides as a joke.

- The reason I feel that I off is that I don't like people staring at me. I am ok doing anything alone, but I feel that people might stare if I hang out at Blue Bayou to have what I would feel would be a really relaxing meal where I don't ahve to deal with anyone.

SOrry if I sound childess above, I think I am just burnt out and really want a day to hang out in a place I have always really enjoyed without anyone to deal with.

You sound like a very busy and industrious young man. All the more reason so as to enjoy your time at the park, alone. Besides, no one is really alone at Disneyland, for there are always people around that one can chat with if they feel like doing so. I am comfortable being by myself, and even if I was with a large group of people, I would still want some time to myself, and would still talk to strangers. Which I can do the latter, since I am not a kid.

Please do not feel self conscious, nor care or mind what strangers may think. I would not worry about anything. People are busy having a nice time themselves, and do not care if there are park guests that do not have X person in tow. Matter of fact, you will probably enjoy visiting so much alone, that for a future trip you will plan to do so again.
    Last edited by Stinker Bell; 06-30-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

I have no problem eating at the sit down restaurants by myself.

And I must say Disney World's food is so good!! I did make my ADR's 6 months in advance and I got every restaurant I wanted, didn't have any problem making them for 1. I think I just had to adjust my times on a couple, 30 minutes at most.

I ate at Biergarten and you get seated with other groups, so that was fun.

I go solo as well (probably once a month). Its great! I like to go early in the morning when the crowds are lighter. But just walking around at your own pace is cool. I was self-conscious at first but I've gotten over than and just have a good time now.

I'm gonna go Friday morning as well. I hope the crowds aren't too bad. It seems like the days when the other APs are blocked are when its slowest now.

Nathan

• Stop That!

I've been to Disneyland by myself quite a few times and enjoy it immensely. If you decide to go, you will be so glad you did, and it will likely inspire you to take more trips the same way (and perhaps, dare I say, wishing you were alone sometimes when you're there with friends!).

Reasons for not going:
    - I am a 25 year old male and I don't want to look wierd hanging out at what is primarly a kids park.
    - The reason I feel that I off is that I don't like people staring at me. I am ok doing anything alone, but I feel that people might stare if I hang out at Blue Bayou to have what I would feel would be a really relaxing meal where I don't ahve to deal with anyone.
    Frankly, I don't think anyone will notice or care that you're by yourself. Have you ever seen someone in line by themselves and thought, "Hey, check out that weirdo!" For all anyone knows, you are meeting your party later, or they're waiting for you at the exit.

If you really get paranoid while in line, just pull out your cell phone and text friends and family to keep busy. My sister does that when she drives down to Disneyland by herself for the day (and she's 8 month's pregnant--you've got nothing on weird).

I've never eaten at the Blue Bayou alone, but you can try requesting a water table, which will at least give you something to look at besides other guests while waiting for your food. As for the lobby wait, you can bring a book or magazine, which is great for taking your mind off the fact the entire waiting area is filled with people staring and pointing at you, whispering quietly to each other that you're some sort of freak for not having another person sitting beside you...

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the people who haven't tried going solo who might try to discourage you. Most likely they're a different kind of personality type who needs a companion for personal validation while vacationing. Just the fact you would even consider a trip alone separates you from them.

Go for it! It'll be your best Disney trip in years.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I spend more time alone at the parks than I do with other people. If I had to wait for someone to go with, than I would go a lot less. Like it's been mentioned before. There are many benefits for touring alone. You get to call all the shots.

My last trip to Disneyland began solo, and I met up with a lot of MiceChatters, so I had the best of both worlds.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Mickey Ear Biter

I say go for it! I mean you had the idea, right?

That would never occur to me! Although I would not do it, but then again I am a girl (20). The few times I have gone on a ride by myself, I have gotten sad looks and questions like, "Why are you alone?"

That was a bit annoying, but heyI still enjoyed the ride (admittedly not as much if I shared the experince with someone...)
    Sometimes we cannot help, but be a little over dramatic...

To the OP:

Don't fret about taking a solo trip. I've taken many solo trips and eaten at the Blue Bayou solo once. Most CMs don't really care that you're by yourself. On my recent mostly solo trip to WDW, I had two character meals solo and had a great time.

One of the great things about going solo is that you only do what you want to do. If you want to go to Fantasyland, nobody can complain that you want to experience it. If you want to meet characters, nobody can complain that they don't want to meet characters.

Don't feel bad or awkward. I've found that solo trips to Disneyland often help me find relief from the stresses of life.

I say definitely go for it. I've done many solo trips and always have a wonderful time. As others have said, you can do what you want, when you want.

I love the rides and the shows as much as anyone else but one of the most joyous things to do at Disneyland is to simply enjoy the atmosphere. Grab a snack and sit on Main Street or in NOS and just people watch, it is great. Take the Grand Circle Tour and stay on for several complete journeys just relaxing. Take advantage of the single rider lines, especially in DCA. Look in shops and do things you wouldn't normally, such as perhaps look for Hidden Mickeys. The list is endless.

Trust me, you may feel awkward at first but once you arrive and especially ride a couple rides solo, you won't think another thing of it. I've dined at table service restaurants solo as well and didn't get a strange look from any CM. I promise, you will have a blast!

• Animator in Training!

Go for it! I've only been able to do it a few times and I'd have to say it's some of the best times I've had. One of the best times was not even going on any rides lol. I brought my sketch book, people watched...drew different poses and scenery from the rides...it was awesome!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."-Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

Go for it!!!

I have a BLAST when I go solo.

I do what I want, where I want, when I want and how I want!

Of course, it is a rare occassion when I do get to go solo, but when I can, I do!

Enjoy!

These:
    - I would love to have a trip to Disneyland where I can literally do exactly what I want and not worry about the people I am with.
    - Also, as a kid I always dreamed of hanging out at disneyland by myself. And that hour I got to spend at disneyland a few months back was really fun, I listended to podcasts on my iphone and rode splash mountain at 11:55pm 3 times in a row (No one ever wants to ride this ride when I go with others).
    especially the latter, are reason enough right there.
    - I am a 25 year old male and I don't want to look wierd hanging out at what is primarly a kids park. When I go their with guys and girls my age they always make fun of me when I want to ride the fantasyland rides. I have still not ridden peterpan, snow white, mr toad in 20ish years because of this). I road similar rides in Disney world last year, but the group I was with was feeling like riding the kids rides as a joke.
    Big deal. Age and sex are pretty much irrelevant once you enter the gates. I wouldn't call DL a "kids park", even partially: it's an everybody park. Obviously, kid-friendliness is a top priority most times and places. But there are many very grown-up things and aspects to DL too. (There was some recent discussion on this somewhere around here if I recall.) Ride the Fantasyland rides. They're yours for the riding; nobody will care, or probably even notice. I (mid-30's, male, solo) have been on all of them--Dumbo, carousel, Pan, teacups, the whole lot, and never once have witnessed a derisive comment from anybody. And I'm not exactly "invisible" or go unnoticed at the parks.
    I can tell you right now that other people and groups are going to be far too wrapped up in their own affairs to even notice, let alone care. You'll notice this right away. On the off chance somebody does notice and act on it, you're not likely to even be aware of it unless you're actively looking for it. Any stupid comments from others are just that: simple immaturity.

So: both cons are trivial and going to fizzle as soon as you get there. All 7 pros are extremely valid. Do it.

Im new here but always come on but i always go solo i find it fun you get to look at all the lil things..

This is only my second year as an AP holder. My first post here was much like yours. I needed reassurance that going solo was ok but after the first time I was hooked. The first year I had the AP my days off of work were mid-week and my girl-friend was going to school out of state. Out of necessity I went solo about 10 of the 12 times I went. I now prefer solo although I need to go with others some times just to mix it up. I recommend you do it.

• Rock Star Minion

Sorry if I sound childess above, I think I am just burnt out and really want a day to hang out in a place I have always really enjoyed without anyone to deal with.
    Sounds like you have made up your mind.
    Do notice that your posts appear very similar too the other soloists'. Let's all go solo, together!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Thanks everyone for the input. I have decided to go on Friday. I am actually more excited about it. My family and friends down in South Cal think it is wierd that I am spending a day out of my 4 day weekend to go to DL by myself, but I decided I just won't bring it up with them anymore and I booked a hotel for the night before so they won't know I am in town. I decided not to eat at Blue Bayou because i'll be their in two weeks for a freinds b-day and I can save money and try out some counter services I have never tried before.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast