Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solo Trip?

• Frozen lemonade addict!

Re: Solo Trip?

I cant say that I have been to the parks solo, but starting next week I am going to be going a lot solo. I am starting to really get into an old hobby, photography, and the park has SO many things to photograph. So I will be going solo (I dont think someone wants to tag along while I meander through the park shooting) twice a month if not more.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Let's all go solo, together!!

Sounds like the makings of another Single's Meet!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I never feel strange touring the parks alone. I guess that has something to do with my age, and the fact that I do a lot of things in my life by myself. It is true that a solo vacation is a great opportunity to take a lot of photos. The Photo Pass people are also very helpful to take pictures of you, with your camera. It's also fun to send text messages home, and tell your family what a great time you are having.

I also enjoy eating alone. Yes I would like having company for a meal, but since I am a slow eater, it is the one time that I get to finish a meal.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

Quote Originally Posted by Homan View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. I have decided to go on Friday. I am actually more excited about it. My family and friends down in South Cal think it is wierd that I am spending a day out of my 4 day weekend to go to DL by myself, but I decided I just won't bring it up with them anymore and I booked a hotel for the night before so they won't know I am in town. I decided not to eat at Blue Bayou because i'll be their in two weeks for a freinds b-day and I can save money and try out some counter services I have never tried before.

I am glad that you have decided to go. You will not be disappointed, I am sure. Your plan sounds like a very good one. Let us know, if you would like to, how your visit went, please. And please visit the pirates and Master Gracey for me.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

What is pirates and master gracey?

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

Cool Re: Solo Trip?

This Year, During The Week Of April 28th-May 3rd, I Went To Anaheim After Winning A Trip With A Club Called DECA. With This Trip, I Got A 3 Day Park Hopper Ticket. I Have Gone To Disneyland Before With My Family, But This Trip Was The Best Yet. Instead Of Getting Fast Passes For EVERY Ride, And Waiting In Lines, I Just Got Fast Passes For Less Than Half Of The Rides, And Just Did The Single Pass Rides For All The Rides I Could. So Over The 3 Days, I Counted How Many Times I Went On Certain Rides.
    Splash Mountain: 48
    California Screaming: 32
    Mullholland Madness: 28
    Grizzly Bear Rapids: 44
    Toy Story Midway Mania: 0
    Indiana Jones: 13
    So I Say That You Should Go By Yourself, 100%

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Np:

My Reasons for wanting to go Solo:

- I would love to have a trip to Disneyland where I can literally do exactly what I want and not worry about the people I am with.
    That's fun, I went by myself a few years back, (just for TOT) and it was nice. I meet a few people on GRR. The following year I went by myself and made a new friend.

- Depending on who I go to DL with, I often need to treat because of circumstances, and honestly a trip where I only have to pay for myself is nice. Also no one I know actually really likes DL. They all think I am insane for liking the parks so much. It's more of them coming to keep me company and to hang out than to enjoy the parks.
    Your not the only one, I'm the same age as you are, while my friends want to go to Magic Mountain, I want to go to DL.

- I don't want to plan a trip for anyone. I am usually the person making plans for people, and the person in charge in most situation, and I feel a little burnt out in life lately. Planned 2 bachelor parties, 2 trips to vegas and tahoe, and a few B-day things, I just am tired of planning things for other people.
    You would think they would pay you for it.

Reasons for not going:
    - I am a 25 year old male and I don't want to look wierd hanging out at what is primarly a kids park. When I go their with guys and girls my age they always make fun of me when I want to ride the fantasyland rides. I have still not ridden peterpan, snow white, mr toad in 20ish years because of this). I road similar rides in Disney world last year, but the group I was with was feeling like riding the kids rides as a joke.
    You have weird friends.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Fantasyland is the first place that I head for when I go to Disneyland for an entire day by myself. I love to ride Dumbo. The only drawback is that when I am by myself there isn't anyone to take a picture of me on Dumbo. I love that ride. I then do as many of the rides in Fantasyland as I can before it gets too crowded. Fantasyland is my favorite land in the park. I just don't ride Matterhorn, as I am a bit of a chicken on roller coasters. I also love to ride all the Main Street Vehicles, as I try to do that at least once every trip. I also love to take pictures of all the attractions that I ride for my scrapbook pages.

No one ever looks at me funny, and I'm a granny.

May 11 - 16, 2015

I've never done it all day, but once I dropped into the park to pickup a birthday gift and decided to ride a couple of rides. Since it was in the middle of the week the crowds were minimal. Ended up riding the E ticket rides and then leaving after 2 hours. It was a cool experience, but doing it all day might be tough, for me not you. Have fun.

Single sign up sheet. Like when you go golfing and tell the starter "Single." and then they hook you up with a group. We should have this for people going to the parks solo?

• Greetings, Program!

Questions:
    I am 25, is going solo wierd? (Being told by friends not to go solo and to go with them) Should I drag someone?

Have any of you done it, did it get boring going solo?
    I'm pretty sure I've gone more times solo than with company. It's nice to do once in a while. Sometimes you just need to go and clear your head, take a stroll, go for a Twain cruise around the river.....

I'd highly recommend it....no matter how old you. I'm almost 40 and I've been doing it since about age 16.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Minion

So I have never had a solo trip to Disneyland before. This year I have gone with family or friends about once a month. However, I have always dreamed of trying out the park solo for a full day from morning to night. It has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid. My only solo trip was once going to the park for one hour at the end of the day when everyone went to bed in the hotels.

Questions:
    I am 25, is going solo wierd? (Being told by friends not to go solo and to go with them) Should I drag someone?

Have any of you done it, did it get boring going solo?

Is July 3rd a bad day to go solo because of the crowds?

What is the list of single rider lines, and do they keep them open on July 3rd?

Any solo trip experiences would be helpful. Also, anyone's suggestion or advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    Two pages of 30 some replies, not sure if I'm gonna read all of them (tired here) but I'll put my input.

I'm an annual passholder, probably on like my 9th or 10th of my life and I live in Anaheim, 10 minutes away from the park. But I've been by myself plenty of times, even a couple after turning into a family man.

But let me share a few pointers that others on here may have already brought up.

First, the pro's about going with others:

You have company, always someone to talk to. And going with a relative, a friend, or even that special someone, it makes it that much more enjoyable.

Cons:

If you like moving around at your own pace, you're kind of tied or slowed down by the others in your group. That's about it. And you have to go where the group all wants to go.

Pros about going solo:

You can move at your own pace without getting tied down by others in your party, and go where you want to go.

Cons:

You're by yourself, and depending on the type of person that you are, you may get lonely without your normal friends or family. But also, depending on the person you are, that may not matter. Because if you're a people person, you can just converse with some of the other guests in line. Or, if you're single and looking, you may just find someone special there.

One lil tip, if you go solo, it helps to bring an ipod and some music to help pass the time.

A couple of years ago, I went every Saturday evening, for like an entire Summer just to go on rides. And I think this was after DCA was built, so I'd be able to tackle both parks. Now, I'm a family man with a wife and 2 year old son. Sometimes we all go together, sometimes just my wife and me, and sometimes I go solo. Now back in the day, I could crowd weave like a football player running for the end zone. I made it from California Screamin to Space Mountain in under 5 minutes, WALKING - no monorail, no running. And sometimes, I still have the juice to navigate big crowds. I just don't do it with a stroller. If you go solo, and you want to just do rides, you can avoid shows and parades. And if you know the parks by the back of your hand like I do, you know where to go, and how to get from point a to point b the fastest. Using fastpass efficiently also helps. And having the right set of tunes also tends to help, if you're like me. Kind of like adding your own soundtrack.

But as far as this weekend goes, it all depends on how you want to handle the crowds. If you think you're young and strong enough to crowd weave like a fast running back, then go for it. Pace yourself of course. But in the past, the 4th of July holiday has been pretty crazy. In the late 80s, early 90s, it was one of the top 3 busiest days of the year, attendance wise - apart from Memorial Day and New Years Eve. But this year, even non holidays are rather crowded, with the implement of the monthly payments on annual passes, the free on your birthday, and the 3 day pass sales, it's been crazy. So that means that 4th of July weekend will probably be INSANE!!!!

If you want any more tips, feel free to PM me on here, or PM me on yahoo. Same screenname, but with a 2k9 on the end of it - aidensdaddy2k9.

Have fun.

• Minion

I will say this about eating at the Blue Bayou. It's great if you're going to eat there with someone special, or friends/family......mainly because of the prices. If you're going to spend that much on one person alone, you might as well fork over more on others with you.

If you cancel the reservation, which they should have no problem with (and neither will the other guests who are waiting for an opening and they don't have a reservation) then you get to eat at other places in the park and your options are wide open. If you'd like the same ambiance as the BB, and in the same area and type of food, I recommend the French Market. It's a buffeteria style of eating (combo cafeteria and buffet), but there's no waiters or waitresses. There's a couple options on the menu, the one thing I recommend is the beef dinner (sorry, I forget the full name) but it's similiar to roast beef and it's really good. And the mashed potatoes are delicious. Plus the desserts there are really good, and there's also the Mint Julep bar (green soda, kinda like limeonade or something. Kinda minty.) And it's right by the New Orleans train station. So if say, you want to get to Fantasyland or Tomorrowland quickly, hop on the train and you're off!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HighLeveller View Post

Big deal. Age and sex are pretty much irrelevant once you enter the gates. I wouldn't call DL a "kids park", even partially: it's an everybody park. Obviously, kid-friendliness is a top priority most times and places. But there are many very grown-up things and aspects to DL too. (There was some recent discussion on this somewhere around here if I recall.) Ride the Fantasyland rides. They're yours for the riding; nobody will care, or probably even notice. I (mid-30's, male, solo) have been on all of them--Dumbo, carousel, Pan, teacups, the whole lot, and never once have witnessed a derisive comment from anybody. And I'm not exactly "invisible" or go unnoticed at the parks.

Exactly! The kids park are Magic Mountain and Knotts Berry Farm. I also live 5 minutes from Knotts. And I've only been there just a few times, counting like 1, 2, or 3 within the last 5 to 7 years. Probably twice actually, once last winter with some friends and my family, and the other on Halloween Haunt with my wife a couple of years ago. No matter what time of the year you go to Knotts, it's a teen park.

Disneyland is, and always shall be, a family park. It's family oriented, and designed for the family. Yes, there are a lot of kids/teens that go there. But just as many adults/families go there as kids/teens. So go an enjoy yourself and dont be self conscious about your age.

Oh and btw, aidensdaddy2k9 is online right now, as of 7:30pm and probably for the next 30 minutes.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stinker Bell View Post
    I am glad that you have decided to go. You will not be disappointed, I am sure. Your plan sounds like a very good one. Let us know, if you would like to, how your visit went, please. And please visit the pirates and Master Gracey for me.
    What is pirates and master gracey?

Stinker meant Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast