Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solo Trip?

Solo Trip?

So I have never had a solo trip to Disneyland before. This year I have gone with family or friends about once a month. However, I have always dreamed of trying out the park solo for a full day from morning to night. It has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid. My only solo trip was once going to the park for one hour at the end of the day when everyone went to bed in the hotels.

Questions:
    I am 25, is going solo wierd? (Being told by friends not to go solo and to go with them) Should I drag someone?

Have any of you done it, did it get boring going solo?

Is July 3rd a bad day to go solo because of the crowds?

What is the list of single rider lines, and do they keep them open on July 3rd?

Any solo trip experiences would be helpful. Also, anyone's suggestion or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Re: Solo Trip?

Going solo is awesome, and is actually an advantage on busy days since yo ucan use the Single Riders line to go on the popular attractions much faster.

The SR attractions, as far as I know:

Indy
    Splash
    Midway Mania
    Screamin'
    Maliboomer

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Also I have a reservation at the Blue Bayou (I for some reason love this place) for 4. I was going to cancel it.

- Do they allow me to change a reservation for 4 down to 1?

- Anyone ate at teh BB solo before, I am not sure how comfortable I am doing this one solo because of the wait in the lounge. I am thinking of just doing snacks and couter service that day. Anyone agree or disagree who have tried sit down places in disney solo?

• Senior Minion

I'd go on my own to the park quite often, until I moved farther away and now carpool. It was never weird to me, and I'm sure you will find it a nice change. For one you don't have to worry about what other people want to do since it is all up to you. You can stroll down the streets, ride at your leisure and take in all the small details of the park that are missed when you are busy attending to others.

When I went on my own I always tried to plan my meal around the time Billy Hill and the Hillbillies are performing so I can see some entertainment while eating. Also everyone is having fun clapping and singing along that it won't even feel like you're on your own.

Regardless of big or small crowds, going solo is a big plus because you can make your way through the crowds much easier without leaving someone behind.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I have had some great times going solo. Nice to be able to do exactly what you would like to do. Great time to take photos. I like the food at the Plaza Inn so I usually eat there. One thing I like to do is offer to take photos of groups of people. They are always thankful that everyone can be in the shot.

Go and have a good time!

I almost always go by myself. I love being able to do what I want when I want!

I even went to WDW for 10 days by myself and it was great!

Soarin' also has Single Rider!

• Im a stage Ninja

i started Saturday with 4 other ppl and about an hour after opening i was solo it was fun i got to go on rides that i like as many times i want and no was with me to stop me
    This is my Leko their are many like it but this one is mine. With out my Leko i am job less, with out me my Leko is not working

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Homan View Post
    So I have never had a solo trip to Disneyland before. This year I have gone with family or friends about once a month. However, I have always dreamed of trying out the park solo for a full day from morning to night. It has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid. My only solo trip was once going to the park for one hour at the end of the day when everyone went to bed in the hotels.

Questions:
    1. a) I am 25, is going solo weird? (Being told by friends not to go solo and to go with them) b) Should I drag someone?

2. Have any of you done it, did it get boring going solo?

3. Is July 3rd a bad day to go solo because of the crowds?

4. What is the list of single rider lines, and do they keep them open on July 3rd?

5. Any solo trip experiences would be helpful. Also, anyone's suggestion or advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    1a) Yes. b) Yes. However, it seems like you've been eager to do this, and there's no way to know that you'll like it until you try. Some people like it, but I don't think I would.
    2. I haven't, because of 1a). I'm tempted to on my birthday, though. I can't afford to take the rest of the family, and my "sponsor" is blocked out for the summer (my bd is soon). But there's the 1a) thing.
    3. It will be pretty crowded. Being solo will have its advantages.
    4. Splash, Screamin', GRR -- these three have good-moving Single lines -- and a few others. For many others, you simply have to listen for the "single" call from the CM and you can get on ToT or Space or BTMRR about five minutes faster than waiting.
    5. I have no advice. I've never been solo. Basic advice follows: go early; take complete advantage of FastPass; stay cool by staying more indoors than outdoors; drink plenty of water; eat lightly here and there (fruits, ice cream treats (sorry, I can't resist them myself) and save a bigger meal for later; eat at a counter instead of waiting for a table; try to arrange to meet MC'ers during the day; try to do four nice things (aka, "magic") for tourists and their children. For example, if you're waiting for your seating at Blue Bayou, and someone comes up without a reservation and will have to wait an hour, invite them to dine with you. No, you don't have to pay for their meal. Just something nice to do. Yes, this is rife with the hazards of meeting new people from who-knows-where. It's like an adventure.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

First off I would suggest examining why it is exactly that makes one feel at the thought of visiting Disneyland for example un at ease or self conscious etc.
    If you do not mind sharing these reasons with us.

Last August I visited the land by myself, for a friend of mine was not able to go with me, after all. Well I was not going to let that stop me. I had just as nice of a time by myself as I had with family or friends. Matter of fact, I did not have to think in terms of oh, my friend might have me committed if I visit the pirates or the mansion one more time. he he! Never did I feel self conscious, et al.
    I dined at my most favorite restaurant The Blue Bayou. I could care less, if I am there with someone or not. And frankly, it is much easier to pick up a pirate or a hitchhiking ghost when visiting Disneyland alone, and of course being single helps too.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• Banned User

I've only been to the park once, but most of the anxieties clear up once you're there. I'm not sure if you have some kind of hobby to bring to the park, but I had a camera and it helped me out a lot to take the focus off of the fact I was 'alone.'

I'd say do it, why not!

• Just splashing around...

I go alone all the time. This past Saturday I amused myself with such activites as grand circle tour on the train, cocktail at Cove Bar (while watching an evac of Screamin' for entertainment), single rider on Soarin', single rider on Toy Story Mania, stroll through Downtown Disney, cocktail at Lost Bar at the DLH, watched the rafts tumble down the hill on Grizzly River Run, salad in a bread bowl at Pacific Wharf, checked out the new Tinkerbell float in the EP, saw Dumbo fly above the castle, walked through Pixie Hollow at night (once the meet-and-greet cleared out) and saw the light show there, and grabbed a piece of carrot cake at the Plaza Inn on my way out. All in all, a fantastic afternoon/evening with my favorite person - me!

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

To me it seems really weird to go by yourself...I would never do it...

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I go solo most of time. I have fun. Do what I want, when I want, no having anyone telling me that they don't want to do it. Well, I am NOT always alone, I carry Stitch with me when I go.

I am always looking for some company to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinker Bell View Post
    First off I would suggest examining why it is exactly that makes one feel at the thought of visiting Disneyland for example un at ease or self conscious etc.
    If you do not mind sharing these reasons with us.
    Np:

My Reasons for wanting to go Solo:
    - My work has been really hectic for the past weeks. Plus, I have gone to 3 weddings and participated in them, and a ton of events over the past month. I am a little tired of my friends and family (I love my friends and family, but I feel like I need some relax time.)

- I would love to have a trip to Disneyland where I can literally do exactly what I want and not worry about the people I am with.

- Depending on who I go to DL with, I often need to treat because of circumstances, and honestly a trip where I only have to pay for myself is nice. Also no one I know actually really likes DL. They all think I am insane for liking the parks so much. It's more of them coming to keep me company and to hang out than to enjoy the parks.

- I have a family BBQ on Sat, and I think 3 days with family might drive me nuts.

- Also, as a kid I always dreamed of hanging out at disneyland by myself. And that hour I got to spend at disneyland a few months back was really fun, I listended to podcasts on my iphone and rode splash mountain at 11:55pm 3 times in a row (No one ever wants to ride this ride when I go with others).

- I don't want to plan a trip for anyone. I am usually the person making plans for people, and the person in charge in most situation, and I feel a little burnt out in life lately. Planned 2 bachelor parties, 2 trips to vegas and tahoe, and a few B-day things, I just am tired of planning things for other people.

- So main reason I want to go solo is that I feel like I need a break from life for a day.

Reasons for not going:
    - I am a 25 year old male and I don't want to look wierd hanging out at what is primarly a kids park. When I go their with guys and girls my age they always make fun of me when I want to ride the fantasyland rides. I have still not ridden peterpan, snow white, mr toad in 20ish years because of this). I road similar rides in Disney world last year, but the group I was with was feeling like riding the kids rides as a joke.

- The reason I feel that I off is that I don't like people staring at me. I am ok doing anything alone, but I feel that people might stare if I hang out at Blue Bayou to have what I would feel would be a really relaxing meal where I don't ahve to deal with anyone.

SOrry if I sound childess above, I think I am just burnt out and really want a day to hang out in a place I have always really enjoyed without anyone to deal with.
    Last edited by Homan; 06-30-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OCBear View Post
    I almost always go by myself. I love being able to do what I want when I want!

I even went to WDW for 10 days by myself and it was great!

Soarin' also has Single Rider!
    I have been debating doing a 9 day trip by myself. As well... I think this Friday might be a test run to help me make that decision. When you go do you do any of the sit down restuarants? I like a lot of the sit down places at Disneyworld. Do you feel wierd at all at them. Cause I really would like to do them solo as well. Also, is a single ADR at WDW restuarants easier to get?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast