Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

The suggestion of having a sort of futuristic information overlay explaining what's going on, displayed information on LCD panel windows of new peoplemover cars is pretty gold. How about crossing that with a newer Disney property, one with a nice sense of humor...

In other words, how about a Hitchhikers Guide theme-over for the Peoplemover track? That's the new thing to propose around these parts right?

Theme the inside parts of the Peoplemover after the Planet Magrathea planet building factory floor (see below for a couple stills from the film trailer) and have the outdoor bits of the ride themed as tongue in cheek Hitchhikers Guide narration about what you're seeing of the park, and tomorrowland, and any rides you go inside, by featuring witty narration by the voice of the guide, and appropriate text overlays. The track and the little cars really do remind me a tad of the Magrathea factory floor vehicles...

Not the best pics but that's what the Internet has to offer From the looks of the trailers for the film that have been released the little cart on a track that shuttles you around the planet construction facility moves at a lot of different speeds.

Anyway that's my suggestion Not the future of transportation, but still from the future (building planets? , doesn't have to be fast, can incorporate some of the feeling from the old Tron room albeit with a new overlay (and possibly thanks to modern technology, without the requirement of the huge Tron room which apparently isn't there anymore (though for goodness sake it should just be stolen back from the wretched Innovasions), and would definitely weave in a ride full of genuinely all-ages humor to the land - you could even increase rideability by recording 2-3 times as much "voice of the guide narration" audio overlay as can fit in one ride, and randomize it.

• Reaver of Souls

A HHGttG Peoplemover! Brilliant! A bit unlikely, but I for one would LOVE it! I can't wait for this film! GREAT idea!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• My Children's Father

Works for me .......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Sock Puppet

I would definately take out the old PeopleMover trains, repaint them, and fix them up. Then, I'd put them back on their tracks and open it back up.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    Bring it back... and the skyway too!!
    That's a good idea! They should!
    [IMG]PeopleMover[/IMG]

• Sock Puppet

---

• Carousel Theater Host

OK, so I joined this thread way late, but here's some ideas of what I would do with the Peoplemover (the Reader's Digest version):

Propulsion:
    Idea 1:
    Use the existing "Bus bar" technology installed via the Rocket Rods track, and retrofit the old Peoplemover cars to utilize this power system to create a slow moving ride. Each 4-car Peoplemover train would have four motors for propulsion. Each train would utilize only one motor at a time, providing three backup motors in case of motor failure. If a motor on a specific train were to fail, communication between the vehicle and a central computer would occur, and one of the backup motors would be switched on to continue the train's motion forward.

Idea 2:
    Rip out the "Bus bar" technology and use an improved version of the "Linear Induction Motors" introduced at WDW for propulsion. New Peoplemover vehicles would likely be constructed for this project, although it would be possible to retrofit the old/existing Peoplemover vehicles with this technology.

Idea 3:
    Rip out the "Bus bar" and put in "Mag-Lev" technology as a means of improved propulsion. "Mag-Lev" technology has been in use in Japan and Europe as a means of propulsion, and would have no troubles carrying guests up and down the grades inherent in the Peoplemover track. New vehicles would have to be designed for this experience.

Main Entrance/Exit:
    Utilize the elevators and stairways in the old Rocket Rods tunnel as means of entrance and exit of the platform. That way, the disabled would be able to board. A special Peoplemover vehicle will also be available for ECVs and wheelchairs.

Number of Stops:
    Two. First and foremost, the central station is the main hub of the attraction. One other stop will be available inside of Innoventions for guests to disembark if they so choose. This will be only a disembarking point, as the room for a load platform will not be available. If guests do not choose to disembark at Innoventions, they may ride the rest of the way back to the central station.

Show scenes/theming:
    Name: Peoplemover 2: People in Motion
    Show scene #1: Star Tours overview
    Show scene #2: Star Traders - "Window" shopping
    Show scene #3: Starcade/future attraction
    Show scene #4: Space Mountain
    Show scene #5: Innoventions/disembark station
    Show scene #6: Autopia overview
    Show scene #7: Monorail track/It's a Small World overview
    Show scene #8: Voyage to Finding Nemo (Submarine Lagoon)
    Show scene #9: Monorail Station
    Show scene #10: Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters
    Show scene #11: Return to Central Station
    Show scene #12: disembark
    Music: shared with Disneyland Tomorrowland BGM.
    Narrator: Female, voice will sound similiar to 1976/1977 female narrator.

all the ideas are fun to read... but the track is not structurally sound. It would have to be demolished before anything were to happen. At that point, retrofitting things would be pointless - t'would be better to start from scratch.
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    There was another thread about the PMs that had a very innovative idea about having monitors installed into the cars themselves and have the tour be narrated by Tom Morrow with staticy breaks in the tour for "meteor showers alerts" at the Space Mountain, Communications scrambler and oversignal from the Empire demanding you not go on the Star Tours, and since there's no idea whatsoever about the 2nd story of the Starcade, you go through a miniature model of a future city (e.g. the original idea behind EPCOT). The only major indoor/outdoor track question would be how to incorporate BLAB (ooh bad acronym for Buzz) and Innoventions. Obviously this needs a little more tweaking, but that's my dime's worth at the moment.

After reading about 90% of the threads on this I feel almost exactly like I did in my Invert Zoology class when he was talking about Arthropods. Long, exhaustive, and only tangential to the original idea of the thread.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Flint
    all the ideas are fun to read... but the track is not structurally sound. It would have to be demolished before anything were to happen. At that point, retrofitting things would be pointless - t'would be better to start from scratch.

I'm not so sure about that. If the structure is so weak, Disney is being negligent in not taking it down because the guests would be in danger. Maybe it couldn't handle heavy ride vehicles that travel high speeds (e.g., Rocket Rods), but a relatively light, slow moving People-mover type ride should not be a problem. Which is not to say that a column or section of beamway here or there might not need replacing or structural reinforcement ... but that is no reason to give up on a ride concept.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by AlLutz
    With the Finding Nemo submarine project still chugging along through its startup phases, all that's really left now is getting one of the WDI concepts greenlighted for the PeopleMover track.
    Anybody know what these concepts are?

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever
    Anybody know what these concepts are?

YES! Enough speculation, rumour, pie-in-the-sky, pipe dream, arm-chair imagineering! We want facts! Who's holding out on us!
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Time Traveler

Bring Back the People Mover, it was always one of my favorites. It's sad going by it on the monorail or autopia and seeing the track being overtaken by trees.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    BUMP

Good news. Peoplemover track is no longer overtaken by trees. They've all been trimmed. It''s also getting painted.

IMO, the track isn't really crumbling, but it's not in good shape. It really couldnt support anything at this point. They are mainly painting it to fit in with the recent new paint jobs in TL.

The track being dormant is sad, but it's likely going to stay that way unless they redo it from scratch. And that won't happen...it costs too much $$$

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314