Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

I'm with everyone else-bring the PM back I loved it. Of course they'd have to do something to spruce it up some but I still think it's a great ride. Which is funny because if you think about it there really isn't anything too it!

Wasn't there a post stating that the Rocket Rods shook the PM track too much, and the track now has structural damage? If that were the case, they'd have to totally demolish it first, and rebuild a new one.

Not cash that Disney is likely to spend... but we can dream!
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Banned User

I would love to see the track used for something... (can't they reinforce the track for a slow moving ride again??)(and paint the track to match the new TL color sceme... white pylons.. and gold trim... hehe)

• Minion

Well, regardless of whether the pylons have to be rebuilt, the track has to be redone, so why not upgrade to WDW's technology.

Beyond that, yes, I think rerouting the track and creating a second station somewhere around the MBC dock would be the only way to add one without encroaching on Fantasyland. However, I would love to see a second station go somewhere around the Toontown Station or Roger Rabbit, so people can avoid the evil parade route the way you could with SkyWay.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint
    Wasn't there a post stating that the Rocket Rods shook the PM track too much, and the track now has structural damage? If that were the case, they'd have to totally demolish it first, and rebuild a new one.

Not cash that Disney is likely to spend... but we can dream!
    I have talked with a "technical person" (and I don't want to say any more about that ) who said the reinforced concrete Peoplemover pylons and beamways have stress cracks all over the place from the beating it got from the retrofitted Rocket Rods cars.

But from what I can tell, the concrete damage wasn't too bad - we have bridges and freeways here in Earthquake Country that look worse and are still in daily service. The immediate reason for closing the Rocket Rods was the steel pipe guide rail in the middle that the front of the RR cars rode on (and that steered the rear axle also) was cracking in many places, and they did not want a RR car to, well, um, err, let's say "Miss a turn" in mid run....

I hope they've learned, and next time they get the urge to put in a ride "On the Cheap" they'll go lie down till the feeling passes - then go back to square one and build a structure that will actually handle the stresses.

--<< Bruce >>--

• I like Cheese...

Bring back the PM with updated technology. They have to do something with the track at some point...

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries
    Before Buzz was slated for the old Circlevision building I thought it would have been a great idea to utilize the old PM track to create the new Buzz Lightyear ride. Riders would travel Tommorowland in search of Zurg's invaders. You could do inside and outside show pieces and it would have been totally unique.

But getting the Peoplemover 2.0 would be great!

• Classic Animation

We enjoy the TTA (peoplemover) at WDW as a nice diversion. Bring them back retro at DL.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    Before Buzz was slated for the old Circlevision building I thought it would have been a great idea to utilize the old PM track to create the new Buzz Lightyear ride. Riders would travel Tommorowland in search of Zurg's invaders. You could do inside and outside show pieces and it would have been totally unique.

But getting the Peoplemover 2.0 would be great!
    I can see at least one huge problem with reusing the Peoplemover track for Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters - unless they were super careful with positioning and sight-lines, any of those outside Buzz elements would blow the theming of Tomorrowland, and conversely from anywhere else in the area the Buzz elements would clash with the TL theme.

Then you get into weather and reliability. They can't run the Peoplemover in severe weather unless they do a redesign to make the cars both totally enclosed and air-conditioned - Can you say "It'll cost a small fortune"? (Which they'll spend. ) Meaning when the weather gets sloppy few people will want to ride Buzz if it went outside. As an "Indoor" ride, that is not a problem.

Both the original Peoplemover and the Rocket Rods had reliability problems. The PM cars themselves were reliable (nothing there to go wrong), but let one drive tire motor on the track pack it in and the whole system went down. The RR cars were over-complicated and not redundant, and if one car died the whole system shut down...

They can't sell it as "A New Ride" if they just put the Peoplemover back. The Tomorrowland Transit Authority is just a Peoplemover powered by linear induction motors, and that's not going to drive attendance. They have to come up with something sufficiently new and exciting that will draw in visitors for at least a few years - possibly a faster roller-coaster based attraction, routed out over the Lagoon/Autopia area - AFTER they figure out what they're doing with the Subs, so they don't have pylons and footings in the way.

The only way they could viably put back the Peoplemover/TTA type system would be to make it a real world multiple-stop transit system - extend the beamway over to DCA, and have switches to extend the system to the eventual 'Third Theme Park' gate on the southeast corner of Harbor and Katella.

And they'd have to either assign a destination to each car with a track switching system (If you don't have a ParkHopper ticket or an AP, you get to make one lap of the lagoon track and come back) or assign CM's to check tickets at each stop to make sure you are allowed off in that park.

--<< Bruce >>--

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005 at 08:20 PM.

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station
    one more vote for the people mover! it was so refreshing to ride that after walking around all day
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• That's Hawt

You know, I don't really remember the People Mover but looking at the pictures it seemed to complete the tomorrowland "picture" also, TL needs something to sit on and relax for a while. CC has Splash ... NOS has HM ... Fantasyland has ... uhm, i dunno, but you get my point ...
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandian192
    If you could do anything to the People Mover/RR track, what would it be?
    I would make it actually go somewhere else. The park's options for transport have been hurt since the Skyway shut down. Plus it would be a small nod to Walt's idea of the PeopleMover as actual transportation instead of just a touring device.

You would need to get some fairly generic cars, though, that wouldn't clash with that many lands.

• That's Hawt

I dunno, but from what I have seen/heard weren't the peoplemover cars kinda slow, it would take like an hour to go around the park ....
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Well, regardless of whether the pylons have to be rebuilt, the track has to be redone, so why not upgrade to WDW's technology.

Beyond that, yes, I think rerouting the track and creating a second station somewhere around the MBC dock would be the only way to add one without encroaching on Fantasyland. However, I would love to see a second station go somewhere around the Toontown Station or Roger Rabbit, so people can avoid the evil parade route the way you could with SkyWay.
    What about the area where the speed boats used to be? what's the word on that space? I seem to remember new Autopia took some of that area, but it seems the few times I've been able to get to the park for the last couple of years there's been stuff being worked on for the Matterhorn...of course, that wouldn't help with the parade route...

I, too would like to see an updated version of the classic PM...I mentioned in the chat about the Mary Blair murals that I think it would be cool if they brought back some version of the People Mover to have an "eye" level view of the murals updated in LED or whatever technology those flashy Vegas signboards are using especially since most of Mary Blair's art is so kinetic. Perhaps along with other visuals, having the image of the original murals appear, then become animated.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast