Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    You know, I don't really remember the People Mover but looking at the pictures it seemed to complete the tomorrowland "picture" also, TL needs something to sit on and relax for a while. CC has Splash ... NOS has HM ... Fantasyland has ... uhm, i dunno, but you get my point ...
    Fantasyland has Storybookland and Small World, and yes, PeopleMover was to me the Small World/Storybookland of Tomorrowland. Back in the days before EVERY Tomorrowland had to be spacey or get closed, instead of continents, PeopleMover took you through divisions of technology, entertainment, space travel, and civic planning. Even if you didn't necessarily feel like going to every attraction that visit, you got a taste of everything the land had to offer.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• All you need is LOVE

Get the people mover back .I can only wish.

• Dark Side Baddie

The Peoplemover was great for just the reason it was taken out: too slow, not exciting, etc. What I loved about it was the opportunity...at the time it was a new transportation technology and it could have been expanded to include other areas of the park. And it offered some of the best views of the park, especially at night. It was one of those rides that really could accomodate the entire family.

I don't like the idea of making it into yet another thrill ride. Why not create something new to show off what WDI used to really do best: the invention of usable technologies for the betterment of society? Every theme park has thrill rides. But only Disneyland develops entertainment product with the idea of implementing those plans into everyday life. Or at least it used to.

The only way they could viably put back the Peoplemover/TTA type system would be to make it a real world multiple-stop transit system - extend the beamway over to DCA, and have switches to extend the system to the eventual 'Third Theme Park' gate on the southeast corner of Harbor and Katella.

I'm not sure that is the only way that this could happen but I definitely agree that this would be a wonderful concept. I love the monorail in WDW for that very reason. But even if the PM track wasn't extended, it could still be a very pleasant diversion for families (especially folks like my wife) to simply enjoy the park. No, that isn't going to be very useful in marketing the park. But the magic of Disneyland is the balance of thrill vs. quaint. Just to have moving cars on that track again would be exciting enough.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I say use it for the next Victoria Secret fashion show runway. Can you say please remain seated?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Bring back the peoplemover! I liked the idea of having it spin at some point in the ride - not too fast though.

• msmith_333 is now Cowboy

Disney should spend the money, and bring back the Rocket Rods. On a track like it should have been from the begining, with banked turns, etc.
    msmith_333 is now Cowboy

• disneypark webslinger

If they could re-work thr track, I'd love to see the Rocket Rods come back. On the other hand, I would also love..love..love..to see a new peoplemover. They could get new cars with some music in there...in the Tron area..they could have like a montage of Disney sci-fi pics (Tron, Black Hole, Flight of the Navigator, Lilo and Stitch, Treasure Planet, insert obsure Disney sci-fi movie here, etc). Either one would rock my socks!!

Walt understood not all attractions would share in popularity. Some would draw more attention that others, but some attractions were needed as eye candy to complement an area, or to add to the popularity of another attraction. The Pressler mentality dictated the only good attraction was an attraction that made money, either directly or indirectly. To this end, he wanted attractions with exits into gifts shops or ride photos. The Peoplemover was not a money maker and Pressler saw it as nothing but a drain on the company's coffers. Pressler was short sighted, and narrow minded. The Peoplemover served a more important function than providing a short sanctuary of private time and rest. As the Peoplemover meandered atop its bright white track in vibrant blue, red, yellow and green cars, it added to the suspension of reality that has become a Disneyland hallmark. The Peoplemover, and to a greater extent Monorail, Rocketjets, Skyway and even the subs, were just as important as Star Tours, or any other "money maker" based attraction (including those with a plethora of by-products & toys related to the ride). These attractions greatly added to the illusion of another world, another place, another time. They were part of the ambiance of Tomorrowland. The Tomorrowland of yesteryear was a world on the move and this image was helped along by the abundance of visual movement, sounds, and even vibrations the various vehicles of Tormorrowland created, the Peoplemover included.

The Peoplemover is a very important aspect of Tomorrowland, regardless if it has long lines of cheering fans or not. It needs to return for with out them, Tomorrowland presents a dull and lifeless future devoid of hope and aspirations.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by msmith_333
    Disney should spend the money, and bring back the Rocket Rods. On a track like it should have been from the begining, with banked turns, etc.
    From an engineering standpoint alone, RocketRods need to be reImagineered and built anew from the ground up, which means DCA or a replacement for Autopia.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Leroy Brown
    The Peoplemover was great for just the reason it was taken out:
    You think it was great because it was expensive to operate and maintain, had low ridership, and was difficult to "monitor" guest activity?

Well aren't you an odd one....

Personally, to make the ride viable, I think they'd need to rip out most of the existing track and replace it with something more interesting. Shorter ride but through richly detailed (PotC style) scenes of a possible future. Side-by-side racers (Rocket Rods style)... perhaps a LIM launched coaster-y type thing with lots of twists and turns.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by msmith_333
    That won't happen. It would take at least as much money as it did to develop the ride in the first place, probably more. Probably a lot more. For starters, they've already destroyed almost all of the "Rocket Rods 1.0" cars - crushed, shredded melted, and otherwise rendered not reusable. Then there's the fact that their queue area has been taken over by Buzz Lightyear.

If they bring back the old ride, they've already blown the "New Ride!" marketing blitz period. They would have to start with a fresh sheet of paper for almost everything but the basic propulsion and control systems.

If they redesign and build something fresh, they would have to take more than a "wink wink nod nod" attitude :devil: towards the ADA Act and install a wheelchair accessible car or two. And/or build a spur-track loading area for people that will take some time getting on or off the ride. There's another Million gone. With the old continuous loading system of the PM (and the RR update of it) they could claim 'grandfathered'.

And removing the old Peoplemover beam to build a complete elevated banked track (the way they should have in the first place) will cost several million more. Doing it all in steel would be much easier than reinforced concrete, but unless they were really careful to adress the aesthetics it would look all out of place with the rest of the TL decor. You can't drop a tubular steel roller coaster in the middle of a futuristic town of tomorrow...

--<< Bruce >>--

• Reaver of Souls

I always loved the Tron segment - the illusion of speed and scale you got simply because of some fans, projectors and sound effects. Think of how much cooler something similar could be now! Flying through the city of tomorrow, with a retro feel. Lasers and smoke effects. It could be Tron squared! I say they update the peoplemover cars into a great retro sci-fi feel. Maybe alter the seating configuration to have you sit something like you would on a motorcycle (or lightcycle!) to enhance the illusion of speed, with a jetsons-esque looking clear canopy, but with the sides open, so you feel less confined. The run of the ride could be so cool and futuristic again. The infrastructure is already in place, so a lot of the expense is already negated. I would love a reinvention of the peoplemover!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Corith
    Walt understood not all attractions would share in popularity. Some would draw more attention that others, but some attractions were needed as eye candy to complement an area, or to add to the popularity of another attraction.
    And for those rides to be viable, they have to have very low operation and maintenance costs... not to mention little to no liability risk. Rides like Storybookland, canoes, trains, tree house, and the Main Street vehicles fit the operational necessities.

People Mover did not, or it would still be there.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    And removing the old Peoplemover beam to build a complete elevated banked track (the way they should have in the first place) will cost several million more. Doing it all in steel would be much easier than reinforced concrete, but unless they were really careful to adress the aesthetics it would look all out of place with the rest of the TL decor. You can't drop a tubular steel roller coaster in the middle of a futuristic town of tomorrow...

--<< Bruce >>--
    Sure they could! All they have to do is encase the exposed part of the track in a clear acrylic tube (think Futurama!), maybe with some soft blue neon tobing along the bottom of the track so the tube "glows"... That would be sweet looking, and not so out of place, with the new blue paint...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

PM Idea

I say drain the whole lagoon. Fill it with lush vegitation and turn it into an Incredibles ride and tie it into the people mover track.

They could use the existing subs que and have it go under the walk way toward the terrace, which if I recall from when I was employed there is a freight tunnel that runs back stage. They would enter the people mover track similar to RR.

They could enter the Incredibles "people mover" car and travel around tomorrow land at an accelerated pace like the movie. The track would utilize the RR equipment and software. If the RR could be programmed to speed up and slow down then I think a steady and safe speed could be acheived.

The Incredibles car would travel the existing PM/RR track then swoop down into what was the lagoon (Now lush vegitation) like when Mr. Incredible was going through the forest. The existing sub show building could be redone into the villians lair facilities.

All in all, I think this would kill a few birds with one stone. The que starting at the existing sub station, going under ground to the people mover. Solving the crowd problem. It would re-utilize the people mover track and sub lagoon. The pace at which the Incredibles ride would move would be faster than the old people mover but wouldn't require the slowing and speeding up that stresses the track.

I'm sure its a far stretch, but I think it ties in with the land better and utilizes space more efficiently. Granted it does promote further cartoonization of Tomorrowland yet I think it would be something for all ages.

Any thoughts? good, bad or indifferent.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast