Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    People Mover did not, or it would still be there.
    Peoplemover was removed because someone thought it needed to be updated, not because it was high-maintenance or a liability. You don't get much lower maintenance than the Peoplemover was...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Tron is now Innoventions.
    People mover was a great ride in retrospect. ALthough when I was a child me and my mom wrote a letter about how boring it was. But now when i go to wdw i sit bak relax and soak up the flavor. I always thought it would be cool to have rocket rods go into innoventions and do a type of test track still testing.
    While it would be fun to have the ride back i think it is kind of lame now.

THe launch was fun in 1998 now that we have excelerator screamin and others the exceleration fun of it has been lost. Now if it was going really fast it would be more interesting. I thinhk the best thing would be the people mover such as WDW. It really can't be that expensive.

Bring back the Peoplemover.

Have a station coupled with the Monorail station, and have other stations at various key attractions/rides/shops in Tomorrowland (which would require major restructuring of course, I'm thinking big) to showcase it's original purpose, other than just as a way to see all of Tomorrowland without having to hoof it.

Now about those other attractions/rides...
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Minion

I agree with Whatever. Use new technology to bring back the people mover, and push it into the "pretend 25th century" with great theme, and artistic flair.

• Senior Minion

Question (one I don't like, but a question nonetheless). How would people feel if TDA just decided it wasn't worth it to put anything in there, and instead, went and ripped the track out completely? It's not outside the realm of possibility.

I've got to suspect that after what they're doing in TL so far (the Space Mountain fix, Buzz, redo the subs, and repainting), that they're going to look for a rationale to spend some money for a big ticket (or even a medium ticket) somewhere else in the park...I like the concept of Peoplemover or Rocket Rods, too, but sort of doubt they're going to go there anytime in the next couple of years.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Question (one I don't like, but a question nonetheless). How would people feel if TDA just decided it wasn't worth it to put anything in there, and instead, went and ripped the track out completely? It's not outside the realm of possibility.
    Fine by me.

• Minion

Well, a key factor in the PeopleMover's fate is Buzz. I know there are photos of workers out on the track where it enters the Buzz building. If they used the PM track to expand Buzz's show, I'd guess the current PM is dead. (Much more compelling than the "Oh heavens no, please don't undo Innoventions" factor.)

Of course, the Star Tours queue doesn't make much sense without PM going through. "Tomorrow that never was" was such a painfully unappealing concept, I never went to Tomorrowland when the Rods were running, but I imagine having those gunning through the queue was a hideos noise. PM, on the other hand, was one of the saving graces of that queue. (Why is it that, in the ugly maintenance section of this spaceport, we have flight info and commercials? Are we in the terminal and didn't know it? Because if I were running a travel company and let my customers walk through such a dingy area with alarms always going off and lazy robots everywhere, I wouldn't expect to make a lot of money.)

I wouldn't mind seeing some drastic changes to the old PM route. But just as the west side needs the Mark Twain and Columbia, and Main St. needs the trolley and its other sightseeing vehicles, Tomorrowland, which is the most scenic land when maintained and not allowed to be made over by people afraid of tomorrow, needs a PeopleMover.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I would extend the track so it could take you to fantasyland...
    That was going to be my suggestion. Make it a real transportation system!
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan

I've got to suspect that after what they're doing in TL so far (the Space Mountain fix, Buzz, redo the subs, and repainting), that they're going to look for a rationale to spend some money for a big ticket (or even a medium ticket) somewhere else in the park...I like the concept of Peoplemover or Rocket Rods, too, but sort of doubt they're going to go there anytime in the next couple of years.
    I do agree.. that TDA will not bring or change anything with the track for at least 2 years... with the sub refurb or overlay whatever you wanna call it, all their budget would be towards the Subs. And I dont think anyone wants another half-az* ride again with a small budget *Cough*cough*Monsters-Inc-SSL*. I guess it was either the subs or the people mover.. And for now we got the subs...I rather wait for a great replacement or a comeback of the Peoplemover.

But yah I wouldnt mind them tearing out the track and putting at least a D or E ticket in its place.. well there its...my.02 take or leave it the can.. hahhaha
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• ºoº Tom ºoº

People Movers *** Moved by People

We need to rethink the People Mover. High powered, fast, rocket people movers was not the answer for a track designed for a leisurly ride.

Let go back to the drawing board and rethink the idea of the people movers and Tommorrowland. Walt's vision of showing us wild ideas for the future doesn't have to die because its impossible to update innoventions on a regular basis. If we use broad strokes to show people the future we can do it.

Back when I worked at a certain gas guzzling attraction in Tommorrowland and walked along the tracks of the People Movers an idea struck me. Why not have the people move the movers not the other way around.

It is simple; new cars that are powered in one way or another by human effort, the ultimate renewable form of energy. Now the obvious answer is a car that passenger’s peddle like the Canoes on the River's of America, but what if it were something even more remarkable.

Inventor Dean Kamen, creator of the Segway and those amazing wheelchairs, has uncovered a remarkable technology buried even before Walt's time. Kamen's research uncovered "The Stirling Engine" a remarkable device which can be powered with human heat and ice.

The way it works is a piston is encased in steal with an appendage that extends outside the case to crank a generator. Then by simply heating one side of the piston and cooling the other side of the piston, you create motion. The heated side expands and the piston retracts into the cold side, which reacts by firing the piston down and the revolutions begin to increase as the fight for dominance continues.

The idea I am proposing is simple; if imagineers can open themselves up to a partnership with Kamen's massive innovative engineering firm and co-create a ride where passengers use there body heat against an ice source ( a slight problem but not impossible to work out) as people place there hands on a pad or handle of some sort there heat would pump the piston and thus power the People Mover along the track.

Kamen obviously already has a relationship with the park, choosing to unveil his Segway in and around the park so this is not too far fetched especially for Kamen who loves to invent and challenge our concepts of technology and where we can take ourselves

As passenger’s move themselves down the track a small tv (externally powered) begins to illuminate the Professor Duck begins to explain the theory of this power source and dozens of other power sources we as a planet are investigating and using. For the better part of 5 to 10 minutes as the slow self propelled cars roll along the track, people are being educated in a way that will excite and spark interest in Tommorrow.

The interiors of the older building can become exhibits that seemingly interact with the passengers (see also the old ET ride at Universal Studios, CA). The experience won't attract globs of passengers like the old Rocket Rods, but the popularity of rides that are more interactive like the Buzz Ride, Rodger Rabbit ride and Canoes proves a thirst for rides that envelope the rider.

Disney has the opportunity to plant the seeds of new changes our world will take with alternative power sources over the next 100 years and here is a golden opportunity, no matter which precise approach they take, you must admit, People Movers powered by People is a POWERFUL notion.

...Just a though from a young Disney fan, former cast member and an imagineer in training.

• Fortune Red Says....

I like Pirate Wench's idea!!!! How much fun would that be! I would love to go on a ride like that.. like in Minority Report where it would go on the track and then rotate onto the wall and continue on its path... I think that would be great on the existing track, they would just have to spend some money on it.. but hey I think it would be worth it! I would love to go on a ride through Tommorrowland like that!
    "Childishness? I think it's the equivalent of never losing your sense of humor. I mean, there's a certain something that you retain. It's the equivalent of not getting so stuffy that you can't laugh at others."
    ~Walt Disney

• Minion

I think that's an awesome idea schucks.

On fact, it gave me an idea. Why not invite designers to create their vision of Tomorrowland. Give them all the specs and such of the existing attractions, and give them fre reign. They can do a New Tomorrowland from the ground up, an entire land overlay, bulldoze just a section of the park, or even fit a new attraction into what already exists in the land.

I think if you got people like Kamen involved, they could go far in creating the kind of Tomorrowland Walt AND his guests would love.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Dark Side Baddie

You think it was great because it was expensive to operate and maintain, had low ridership, and was difficult to "monitor" guest activity?

Well aren't you an odd one....
    Uh, that's not what I posted. The PM was a slower, more leisurely ride which offered up a great look at the park after gunning from one thrill ride to the next. It was a ride of a type that we don't see very many new ones do in DL these days. E-tickets are great and we all love them but it's the balance of the A, B, C and D tickets along with the Es that make Disneyland so great.

If the PM from the past is too unreliable/expensive, then surely there is another alternative. Perhaps a sponsored showcase for a firm wanting some exposure from an untested transportation idea? The point is that the combination of experience and technology has always been a winner for Disneyland past, present, and future. Shucks has the right idea. So the new PM doesn't rip around at 60mph...how cool would it be to be involved with making something work in a fascinating new way that can't be done anywhere else?!?

Walt went to the trouble of including hidden gems such as the Snow White Grotto to maximize the experiences of his guests. He didn't have to do that. Those expenses could have been used for something else more thrilling. It certainly didn't make for something his marketing folks could really use to get people in the gate. But Walt recognized that developing experiences for everyone, not just kids/tweens/teens, was important not only to the bottom line but to the future of his park. What fun is it for parents and grandparents to come and watch the kids have all the fun? More importantly, those experiences could be turned into financial successes in the real world through the sale of technologies.

Personally, to make the ride viable, I think they'd need to rip out most of the existing track and replace it with something more interesting. Shorter ride but through richly detailed (PotC style) scenes of a possible future. Side-by-side racers (Rocket Rods style)... perhaps a LIM launched coaster-y type thing with lots of twists and turns.
    Maybe with a cool and expensive shop at the end! I thought you worked at the Gap now, Pressler...what are you doing hanging around these boards?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Leroy Brown
    It was a ride of a type that we don't see very many new ones do in DL these days.
    And why is that? Becuase they are bad investments..... AND that's what Dsneyland is.... An investment!

Perhaps a sponsored showcase for a firm wanting some exposure from an untested transportation idea?
    Perhaps monkeys... butt....

Let's stick with reality. If Disney wants a new ride there, they can drop $40 million on something like People Mover 2.... which few qill want to ride more than once... $75 million for another stinker like Rocket Rods.... or $100 million to $150 million for an all new replacement. No one is going to pay to build a new ride.... Heck, they woked their butts off trying to get sponsors for DCA, and the best they could come up with was product placements... A tractor in a farm, and some "factory tours".

The point is that the combination of experience and technology has always been a winner for Disneyland past, present, and future.
    Nooooo.... No it has not. Epcot Future World is a financial eyesore.... 20 years old and everything has been or deperatly needs redone or replaced. Tomorrowland is the most redone land in the Disneyland park, and the one most in need of total repacement yet again.

Combination of experience and technology, far from being a winner, has proven it has no staying power. It goes stale within 5 years and needs total makeover every 10-15 years.

Walt went to the trouble of including hidden gems such as the Snow White Grotto to maximize the experiences of his guests.
    And they work great... IF AND ONLY IF... they are inceadibly cheap to operate and maintain.

More importantly, those experiences could be turned into financial successes in the real world through the sale of technologies.
    Again, a big dose of reality would help. You don't develop new transportation technology at a theme park... You have fun at a theme park.

Maybe with a cool and expensive shop at the end! I thought you worked at the Gap now, Pressler...what are you doing hanging around these boards?

Sorry to give you the big dose of reality...... Disney is 66% owned by investment banks and mutual funds. They want 1 thing and 1 thing only. PROFITS.... They aren't interested in building a better tomorrow. They aren't interested in building a place they personally enjoy hanging out in. They aren't Walt. They don't have an office over the fire house, and aren't building an apartment in NOS.

GREEDY, single minded, investors own Disney and they want profits...... ANY and ALL plans for the future must be considered within that distasteful reality.

• Wannabe Aviator!

Possibly a newer vehicle that still incorporates the same concept of the original People mover would be in order. They now have the ability to make the Omnimoble into various versions that a "High Capacity" vehicle would not be out of the question. Think about the ability to change your view, like what will happen in the new Buzz Lightyear attraction. You could rotate aroud to get a better view of Tomorrowland, and never have the same experience twice on the ride.
    "...and you'll want to stow away cameras, purses, hats, and of course...these little
    beauties!"

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast