Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

• "I Break Things"

Re: Disney Legacy and the Public: Is the public to blame for a mediocre Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    Disney parks’ revenue drops 12 percent in stale economy - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

When considering that the parks have taken a huge hit in profits but have committed to revamp DCA and continue improvements in DLP can you really blame Disney that much for the recent whoring out of the resort?
    You can if you consider part of that hit was poorly designed attractions to begin with! DCA wouldn't need $1 Billion if they had built it correctly to begin with. What I find comical is that they are using the same cheap character driven tactics to "revamp" DCA... which in part is what got them into the hole to begin with (marketing plush instead of building unique experiences).

Disneyland used to be full of unique experiences. Over the past decade it has slowly transformed into a character pushing machine. DCA started out as unique experiences. A lot of the more popular attractions are still unique experiences (Soarin', Screamin', Grizzly). So what is WDI's answer to sagging numbers? ADD CHARACTERS... and another land dedicated to a movie! I really think this will hurt DCA in the long run.
    Last edited by techskip; 07-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    When considering that the parks have taken a huge hit in profits but have committed to revamp DCA and continue improvements in DLP can you really blame Disney that much for the recent whoring out of the resort?
    Sorry, the economy is no more the sole excuse than the other reasons that Disney has claimed, be it 9/11, bad publicity on the internet or El Nino. The fact is that Eisner and Pressler started whoring out the resort 15 years ago, reducing the uniqueness and quality of Disneyland's rides, entertainment, merchandise and food; and turning the park into a local drive-through with cheap tickets and promotional come-ons. Their successors continued to do so in boom economies and bust.

The OC Register article cites Disney's claim that customers aren't spending as much on merchandise and food. Is it the economy that's primarily to blame, or Disney's $12 price tag on a Mickey Mouse balloon and $38 tab for BBQ ribs?

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-06-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disneyland used to be full of unique experiences. Over the past decade it has slowly transformed into a character pushing machine. DCA started out as unique experiences. A lot of the more popular attractions are still unique experiences (Soarin', Screamin', Grizzly). So what is WDI's answer to sagging numbers? ADD CHARACTERS... and another land dedicated to a movie! I really think this will hurt DCA in the long run.
    I agree with you. I wonder what that means for the long-term plans for the park. It's not like Cars or 'A Bugs Life' were epic enough movies to warrant the creation of a whole land. Heck, Mickey Mouse can't even have his own land without sharing it with all of the other animated characters. I'd like to see where these lands end up 20 years from now.

• Minion

you know after reading a few posts about the 12 doller mickey plushes and such..
    have you guys noticed(and ill use indiana jones merchandise as an example) with the exeption of the lego sets, the toys have all gone clearance at every major retailer(with exeption of disneyland) granted disney has a few exclusives you cant get no where else. but would you pay 14,99 for the same thing you can get at your local wal mart on clearance for 4.00? can we say price gougeing.

• Pilot EdForceOne

DL retail isn't competing with Wal-Mart, etc. So why would it bother trying to price match? It's not gouging, they aren't raising prices due to some situation or shortage. They've chosen to sell at MSRP, Wal-Mart, etc have chosen to sell at a discount.

This is pretty far off-topic.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    DL retail isn't competing with Wal-Mart, etc. So why would it bother trying to price match? It's not gouging, they aren't raising prices due to some situation or shortage. They've chosen to sell at MSRP, Wal-Mart, etc have chosen to sell at a discount.

This is pretty far off-topic.
    Very far off topic BUT I would hardly call any of Disney's prices "msrp"... $3 for a Minute Maid juice box... when you can buy an 8 pack of them at a local supermarket for that price. MSRP is what you find at Disney's "outlets"... msrp is basically their "discounted price"! It comes down to a complete lack of competition and a captive audience. Movie Theaters are another example (or do you think it honestly costs $5 for a small box of Skittles?)
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Very far off topic BUT I would hardly call any of Disney's prices "msrp"... $3 for a Minute Maid juice box... when you can buy an 8 pack of them at a local supermarket for that price. MSRP is what you find at Disney's "outlets"... msrp is basically their "discounted price"! It comes down to a complete lack of competition and a captive audience. Movie Theaters are another example (or do you think it honestly costs $5 for a small box of Skittles?)
    The reference was regarding toys/merch - not food. Different beasts.

I don't want to go further down this rat hole - someone can start a new thread on prices in the park vs. the economy if they want.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314