Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Disney Legacy and the Public: Is the public to blame for a mediocre Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    You know, the last hundred or so times I've been to Disneyland, I have yet to find a single missing lightbulb.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Knows Where His Towel Is

^ That's funny...when did you take those? I was there about two weeks ago and I didn't see those.

Then again, I don't really pay much attention to those things...so maybe it's just me.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

^ That's funny...when did you take those? I was there about two weeks ago and I didn't see those.

Then again, I don't really pay much attention to those things...so maybe it's just me.

Just a few shots I snapped within my last 100 visits.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

Buger (Booger) Invasion. Sums up that restaurant pretty well if you ask me.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-01-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Just a few shots I snapped within my last 100 visits.
    Ah. Touche.

HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

I LOL'd at "Buger Invasion"

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I find a bit of fault in this logic...

The argument is that everything else costs more because AP's are cheap. To some extent I agree with that. So in theory everything else costs more to balance the bargin of the AP. Therefore they are making the same amount they would make otherwise, the only change is the percentage each area pays. So... if they are theoretically making the same amount, why are they being mediocre? You can blame the AP System for causing higher prices, or for a loss of revenue, but technically it can't be both because they would compete with each other (higher prices are a result of expected revenue loss and meant to offset the loss).
    The higher "other prices" do not offset the loss of revenue. (Again, IMO.) DL is, in economic terms, an elastic good. Especially in this current market.
    So, costs are cut. Maintenance, number of trains run at night, number of trams run, etc. All leading to a "whatever" reaction from the low-cost guests, and an "I'll never spend that much on a bad experience again" from the once-a-yearers. Creating what my industry calls a "death spiral."

So, when ROI on new investments (attractions, shows, etc.) is modeled, fewer additional guests come than in a model with no prepaid pricing plan, since 60% or more guests will come no matter what, since they've prepaid. This means only cheap investments are worth making, investments that when looked at a second time can be slashed further with no loss of additional guests. And investments that provide revenues (stores, ODVs, etc.) are favored.

Again, all IMO. Maybe I'm wrong about "the cause of every single problem" (tm), but obviously I don't think so.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• "I Break Things"

If it would have been an "O" instead of a "U" then it would have been golden!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
    I LOL'd at "Buger Invasion"
    Doesn't help when the sign is green LOL.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Thankfully we currently have the gift of Mr. John Lassetter who I believe although severely over taxed and over extended at least is a glimmer of hope for the park.
    Not sure what Cast Member John is "busy" doing right now. There's no official director yet for TS3. Plans for Carsland are done, and he's not working the construction rigs.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Not sure what Cast Member John is "busy" doing right now. There's no official director yet for TS3. Plans for Carsland are done, and he's not working the construction rigs.
    As chief creative officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios as well as Principal Creative Advisor for Walt Disney Imagineering rest assured John has his hands very very full and is contributing to the success in all facets of the company in more ways then one. Right now just one of his many projects on his plate is a small little hand drawn animated feature called "the princess and the frog"
    Last edited by CAspace; 07-01-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: :) goofed on the name of the little picture

^ You mean 'The Princess and the Frog'?

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

^ You mean 'The Princess and the Frog'?

thanks for the correction!

Since Disney is just some faceless conglomerate without Walt, we the public are at least partly to blame for validating their mismanagement of the parks by lowering our own standards and expectations, and continuing to pay for admission/APs and going through the gates. I recently said pretty much the same thing in another thread when I suggested that the only truly effective solution to Disneyland's problems would be for people to "reject" the park--that is, to stay away from it.

Soon after Pressler took over, I did just that for a good long while. I remember being very angry about some things I had heard from the rank-and-file, and even predicted that people were going to be killed as a result of the practices put in place by the management back then (how I wish that I had been wrong ). If we could only get everybody to boycott the whole Disneyland Resort, then I'm sure that we could get management to change their tune. But as long as we keep coming back, singing the praises of their lame substitute for a parade, and paying for things like $30+ BBQ, then we'll get exactly the Disneyland they think we deserve.

If I could reach and influence each and every APer, I'd tell them to not renew their AP when their current one expires, and tell Disney exactly why. Imagine the panic this would cause in the TDA building and in Burbank.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Is the public's never ending approval of everything Disney does simply because they are Disney the real reason behind the death of Walt Disney's real Disneyland?
    I don't think so. I think today's Disneyland is broadly the result of a 15 year feedback relationship that commenced with Eisner's promotion of Pressler. Elements of the relationship include the financial goals of Disney management; the economics of theme park development and operation; the demographics of Disneyland's potential customer pool; the techniques of research-based marketing; the creative vision of Disney management; and the history of the Walt Disney Company. Each element in the relationship interactively affects the others.

When Iger and Rasulo say "our guests tell us they want x," they're speaking not only as drivers of, but participants in that relationship: an audience demographic has been identified to which can be sold entertainment venues of a certain type, for a certain investment, with a certain projected return, over a certain projected lifespan. A strategic decision is made to move forward or not.

Which is a completely different process than a creative showman with a vision who takes a financial risk on an idea that he personally loves (and invented), and which his guts tell him the public will love.

In Walt's Disney Company, Disneyland was primarily a stage for an ever-evolving show put on by a small group of creative elites who intuitively understood their audience. In Iger's Disney Company, Disneyland is part of a process.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-01-2009 at 03:33 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast