Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Disney Legacy and the Public: Is the public to blame for a mediocre Disney?

The Disney Legacy has always been known for quality, creativity, and imagination. Disneyland Park opened as the first of its kind and introduced a whole new medium in the entertainment and amusement industry.

For over 35 to 40 years up around the time of the creation of the last truly great E-Tickets, Disney decisions were always made for the best of the park, theme, and most of all, quality.

Beginning first with the new Disneyland Presidents of the 90's with Paul Pressler, quality, theme, and the park as a whole began to decline.

Yet through all that, the guests continued to fly through the gates regardless of what Disney fans continued to speak out against as being a lack of upkeep among other problems.

Today us Disney fans are mixed about many new park additions.

It's A Small World, is the value of theme being respected anymore?

Pirates of the Caribbean, why does the most famous theme park attraction of all time need a movie tie in?

FNSV, Does flashy technology make up for the lack of original storyline and detract from the fact that this is yet another movie tie in?

Most recently Celebrate a street party, why on earth would Disney cut parades from its entertainment offering, one of its most famous staples, and leave an unimaginative, very middle quality street party as the only offering for the peak season?

Such things like Celebrate relied on public surveys to see the guest reaction. Obviously it must have been positive as no parade is being performed for the entire year up until this thanksgiving.

We all have different opinions about all of these attractions, but one thing is common among many of these examples, it is nothing like what we were given during the first 40 years of Disneyland history. And these products along with those of the Pressler and Harris period have changed our expectations of the current Disney company.

There is no doubt in my mind that visitors to Disneyland Park always remember the quality, dedication, and imagination that Disney is known for. But it is certainly something they are not getting.

The Lack of stores having individuality.
    A churro cart on every corner.
    Every Ride with a movie tie in.
    Always a tacky publicity campaign.

But the public doesn't care. One customer in an interview with the media on Small World changes replied with this comment, "Everything Disney does is great".

I'm sure we all agree that that isn't the case. And it seems like almost every one time park visitor will have this attitude when they walk through the gates.

Why do they have this attitude? Because of Disney's rich legacy that enthralls us all. Is this Legacy blinding the average guest's view of what is really going on in the Magic Kingdom?

Is the reason we keep seeing movie based attractions and stores with the same plush toys the fact that the public doesn't know the difference and therefore thinks its Disney's best?

Has Disney realized that their legacy is the main draw to the parks and so continue to cut the unique stuff in the parks because they know their main audience won't care if they do?

Why aren't guests angry that the classic Disneyland parade is non existent and all that is being offered to them is this ten minute dance party on tacky and uninspiring metal floats (IMO, but you have to admit they don't compare to previous offerings*)? Do they know of the quality that was exhibited during the run of Parade of Dreams? Most of them don't. So they are automatically tricked into thinking that this is the best Disney can offer, which is sad, because Disney is capable of so much more.

*(To those who will make the argument that Celebrate is not meant to replace PoD, you have to understand that in the broad spectrum, both PoD and Celebrate are street entertainment. Since PoD was given up and Celebrate was the only thing offered, it is the replacement by default. )

If the public can be so easily satisfied by Celebrate as they were with Parade of Dreams, who is to say that Disney might make all of the street entertainment like Celebrate? Costs are cheeper. They are still happy with the product?

Is the public's never ending approval of everything Disney does simply because they are Disney the real reason behind the death of Walt Disney's real Disneyland?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Mickey Ear Biter

Re: Disney Legacy and the Public: Is the public to blame for a mediocre Disney?

[quote=Walt Jr.;1055415046]

The Lack of stores having individuality.
    quote]

I absolutely, agree!!!

Anyone remember there store in Frontierland (that has a connection to the store in Adventureland? Its right across the shooting thingy majigy?)

Well i rember that store used to have roxy stuff, but it was unque roxy stuff that tied in well with the location...
    Sometimes we cannot help, but be a little over dramatic...

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Not all stores offer the same stuff. Most stores are, in fact, tied in (albeit marginally) with the theme they represent.

And a few stores stand out due to their products, such as the Magic Shop or the Crystal Arts store.

While it is true that merchandising at Disney has gone downhill since the days of individual products for every shop, I believe those days are simply unpracticable in today's landscape.

So we have to make do with the best we have.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

I completely agree with the OP. Although there is no imaginable way to measure this; but I belive that when Walt died alittle bit of the imagination and drive that Walt inspired in his workers (from what I've read) died with the suits who came to own his rightful Kindom and thus create it to what it has become today.

Dont get me wrong. Everytime I go to DL I still get that feeling, going under either railroad tunnel, of me not having to worry about problems that might be happening in the world or my life while I'm within the walls of this park. I still get that joy at the age of 25 of me actually being lucky enough to be stepping foot again at DL. That is what Walt's dream was to create and thankfully that still remains in the park to this day.

My sister and me sorta have a running joke. After I read both Mouse tales books my sister got into them and found them rather interesting. Pretty much everytime we go now we point out places that are missing paint or light bulbs on Main Street that are either out or about to. Both things were things that Walt would'nt tolerate in his day. He would have those things fixed right away.

I guess the problem is the overall consumer or typical "guests" that go to the park now. Those people dont look at DL and all its history and delve deeper into what makes the park as great as it is. Those people only go with the mindset of "We're going to DL and get on some rides and see Mickey" Thats who the suits are trying to sell to now, thats the demographic that they're catering to.

Based of tidbits that I've been reading from some people WDW is in a far worse predicament then DL as far as shoving merchendise down the consumers throat. One that I read even called Main Street, "Mall Street" based on the over abundance of stores, even converting the fire station into a store!

I guess as much as I know things wont be the same way as they were when Walt was alive (one of those things that I would've loved to be able to experience first hand) as long as I still get that "magic" feeling going under the railroad tracks everytime I go there I will still know that Walt's original intention with the park is still alive. I may not agree with certain aspects or decisions; but as long as the kid inside of me is still happy then I'm happy.

Well that and as long as they dont so anything stupid like create a animatronic Walt, popping (current form of "dancing") while finishing off with Coke and voicing how refreshing it is on a hot day while Jonas Bros. plays in the background. Then I can handle it.

• "I Break Things"

Disney follows trends. It used to set them. Part of that is a lack of competition. Knott's used to give Disney an honest run for their money, Six Flags was always thrill based, but it too had some influence on Disney decisions. At this point Disney is clearly "king of the hill" with no real challengers. From a purely business standpoint they don't bother to spend more and out-do themselves. Instead they are content to say "We're better then X".

The public is very fickle. Over time they have come to expect less experiences and more characters. It is debatable if this was the public perception, or Disney marketing... but at some point they begin to feed each other in a vicious cycle.

All in all I see it as beating a dead horse. The argument is that Disney wouldn't make X if people weren't willing to pay to see it. A lot of times people want to see it simply because it is Disney, and since there is no obvious competition they overlook what they perceive to be the little things.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

You know, the last hundred or so times I've been to Disneyland, I have yet to find a single missing lightbulb.

HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    You know, the last hundred or so times I've been to Disneyland, I have yet to find a single missing lightbulb.
    We havent seen any missing ones; but oh have we found a couple burned out ones and dim ones. We were there two weeks ago and usually on the return they're replaced but others are out. LOL.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Wow, what an accomplishment...... Something that was so standard back in the day is now considered a huge advancement in management. Consider me not impressed.

Not all stores offer the same stuff. Most stores are, in fact, tied in (albeit marginally) with the theme they represent.

And a few stores stand out due to their products, such as the Magic Shop or the Crystal Arts store.

While it is true that merchandising at Disney has gone downhill since the days of individual products for every shop, I believe those days are simply unpracticable in today's landscape.

So we have to make do with the best we have.
    It is not unpractical, that is what they want you to believe because it's cheaper. You honestly think with their billions of dollars that they can't even get a hold of unique merchandise?
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-01-2009 at 02:07 PM.

• Banned User

Disney is a business. Regardless of what they decide to do, they will still attract guests from all over the world. I'm sure if Disney halted entertainment options like parades or fireworks, it wouldn't stop people from coming to the parks. What people decide to do or what they like is a matter of their own opinions and I don't blame Disney for taking advantage and catering towards trends. POD is beautiful but boring. CASP is 'cheap' but exciting and interactive. I wouldn't be surprised if CASP is a result of the popularity of Block Party Bash and sets the tone for future daytime entertainment options.

• Banned User

I haven't looked too carefully, but I have noticed the jarring absence of an entire spoke on Mickey's Fun Wheel...(I know it is DCA, not DL, but I guess the concept still applies)

• "I Break Things"

How's the fish doing?

^ What?

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

• Rock Star Minion

"Mediocre Disneyland" is caused by mediocre prepaid entrance pricing scheme. It is "the cause of every single problem with the park." (tm) (According to me.)

Don't blame the public for purchasing a bargain.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    "Mediocre Disneyland" is caused by mediocre prepaid entrance pricing scheme.
    Don't blame the public for purchasing a bargain.
    I find a bit of fault in this logic...

The argument is that everything else costs more because AP's are cheap. To some extent I agree with that. So in theory everything else costs more to balance the bargin of the AP. Therefore they are making the same amount they would make otherwise, the only change is the percentage each area pays. So... if they are theoretically making the same amount, why are they being mediocre? You can blame the AP System for causing higher prices, or for a loss of revenue, but technically it can't be both because they would compete with each other (higher prices are a result of expected revenue loss and meant to offset the loss).

The "captains" steering the ship are the ones to blame. Unfortunatly there are people in charge which seem to have forgotten about what the magic of Disneyland is all about. Compounded by the fact that Disneyland is a "publicly traded" company which cares only about bottom line numbers each quarter which plays a HUGE roll in the "mallification" and "baby sitting, annual pass/costco pay to shop model)

Thankfully we currently have the gift of Mr. John Lassetter who I believe although severely over taxed and over extended at least is a glimmer of hope for the park.

Anyways, there is still much magic at the park, it is being chiseled away day by day but there are still people that care inside and outside the company. Hopefully there logic and dedication will be harnessed and as we have already been seeing in certain respects. May it continue.

Hopefully we will see Rasulo and some of his cronies replaced sometime soon, judging by his handling of the "resorts" and the state of DisneyWorld and her properties at this point, this guy has got to go join Pressler and start a new clothing line or something.

Walt would not be happy in my estimation, based on my readings of the Man and discussions with his fellow workers. But thats what happens when the company gets too big and your leader passes on.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast