Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Laughing Place Finder

Goofy's Kitchen- Best time to visit?

I'm planning to call Disney Dining to make reservations for Goofy's Kitchen for the end of the summer. I was curious if frequent visitor's or cast members might have recommendations for what the best days of the week and best times of the day are to go to Goofy's Kitchen. I want to maximize our chances of having an excellent experience at Goofy's Kitchen.

We had dinner there in April and sat near the middle of the restaurant over by the ice cream and dessert bar but for an entire hour no characters came to our table. I am usually the last person to ask for a manager but I brought it to the manager's attention and he quickly worked some magic to get all the charaters to come by our table with a quickness.

At around 7:30 the only characters they had in the restaurant were Chip, Dale, Jasmine, Goofy and Pluto. On all of our prior 5-6 visits to Goofy's Kitchen they normally they had at least 3-5 more characters than that. We used to have pretty good luck seeing Captain Hook, Aladdin, Cinderella and Alice there.

I totally appreciated the extra effort they showed in the end to take care of us. I just want to avoid going through that again.

Are weeknights likely to have fewer characters than weekends?

Are some tables better than others?

Have the cleanliness problems mentioned in the OC Register a few years back been corrected? Any inside info on this from CM's?

Is there a secret code-word that can be used to get a slice of Prime Rib thicker than a piece of paper? Or would a $10 bill slipped to the carver do the trick?

Does anybody on Micechat like Captain Hooks have a list of characters that is likely to be at Goofy's Kitchen for dinner these days?

Thanks in advance. I wasn't sure whether or not to post this under Disneyland or So Cal Restaurants but I saw some other Goofy's Kicthen related threads under Disneyland so I followed suit. I hope that's ok.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Goofy's Kitchen- Best time to visit?

We're regulars at Goofy's Kitchen and because of that, getting a thick slice of prime rib/ham/turkey is not a problem. When we enjoy a meal with friends (especially with folks that rarely go there), they are blown away by the service that we get. We have our favorite CM's there and pretty much our regular table. Yes, we tip above and beyond the "included" amount. Patience, my friend...

The best time to ge the most out of your character dining experience is a seating time of around 6:30pm for dinner and about 9:00am for breakfast.

Most of our meals last us about an hour and a half. If you are in a hurry, do not waste the money on G-K. It's not the place to run in and scarf down your food.

The typical cast of characters include: Chef Goofy, Chip and/or Dale, The Mad Hatter, Snow White, Cinderella, Alice, Minnie, Pluto, Max, Baloo, Peter Pan, Wendy, The Genie, Geppetto (sp), Pinocchio, Jasmine and Alladin just off the top of my head.

Enjoy!

• Laughing Place Finder

Thanks for the info OldSchoolMickey. That's a big help. How lucky that you guys get to go so often! I'm jealous.

Out of curiosity, when you say you tip above and beyond the customary amount, do you do that in advance when you check in to Goofy's Kitchen or do you leave extra cash on the table when you leave?

I'm just curious if I can advance-tip my way to some above-average service since we only get down to LA once or twice per year. Visiting so rarely doesn't give me a chance to build a reputation as an MVP there like you guys.

I agree with you that you have to allow some time for the experience and usually find ourselves staying for about 90 minutes per visit too. We just had never gone there and had no characters come by a centrally located table for more than an hour.

Do you usually go on weekends or weeknights? Do you notice a difference in charcter quality/quantity between weekends and weeknights?

Thanks!
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Hide and Seek with Anna

When I been to Goofy's the tip is already part of the bill when you pay. I only had lunch there onces the other 5 times been at night. This is the first time that I hear that you can get ribs there I didn't know about this. As for characters here is the onces I've meet there.

Chife Goofy
    Pluto
    Chip
    Dale
    Geppetto
    Max
    Peter Pan
    Capt. Hook
    Alice
    Snow White
    Jasmine
    Cinderella
    Mulan
    Minnie When I've done them it's been about 7 characters only once it has been 5 and that was when I did the lunch. But only 4 of the 5 came to my table.

Pluto
    Chife Goofy
    Mulan
    Chip only came around well Pluto was before going in. I hear that Dale was there that day but he didn't come to my table.

• I read the news today...

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    We're regulars at Goofy's Kitchen and because of that, getting a thick slice of prime rib/ham/turkey is not a problem. When we enjoy a meal with friends (especially with folks that rarely go there), they are blown away by the service that we get. We have our favorite CM's there and pretty much our regular table. Yes, we tip above and beyond the "included" amount. Patience, my friend...
    Shouldn't you get good service to begin with, no matter who you are?
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

• Laughing Place Finder

Talking Re: Goofy's Kitchen- Best time to visit?

Quote Originally Posted by rajbonham View Post

You'd think so but we all know that money talks, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, the one with the gold makes the rules, etc. I guess even the Magic Kingdom is not immune from this phenomenon.

And thank for the info Captain Hooks. When I mentioned Prime Rib I wasn't referring to what you'd think of as BBQ ribs. Prime Rib is a very tender, very rich and juicy cut of beef. They usually have it over at the middle of the meat-carving station under the heat lamps.

And thanks for the list of characters. Getting my daughter to see some of the princesses without having to do the whole "Ariel's Grotto" restaurant or PFF would be a huge relief as I wasn't too happy about my previous experiences at those places.

I'll plan my next dinner there for a Sunday night since that is the only weekend night that I'll be at the park.

Thanks!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by rajbonham View Post

You do get good service no matter who you are.

As with any business, you get better service when you are a regular...

Nothing wrong with that!

And we give the additional tips directly to the individuals that deserve it.

Bon Apetite!

Let you know one thing with the Princess. Only one will show up not all the ones I message but one. Jasmine I've seen there twice. So now thinking about it I've been there 5 times not 6. The way I can remember now is from the Princess lol go figure.

Jasmine=twice
    Snow White=once
    Cinderella=Once
    Mulan=once

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mickey View Post
    Out of curiosity, when you say you tip above and beyond the customary amount, do you do that in advance when you check in to Goofy's Kitchen or do you leave extra cash on the table when you leave?

Do you usually go on weekends or weeknights? Do you notice a difference in charcter quality/quantity between weekends and weeknights?

Thanks!

See the above post for my tipping habits.

NEVER give an additional tip in advance. They already add on the standard gratuity in the first place. Any additional amount should go directly to the person responsible for earning it.

We usually go weeknights, but occassionally do weekends. Not much difference between the two during the times that I listed. You will see more characters during the middle of the day on the weekends versus the weekdays though. Makes sense too...

Our usual table is the large one as you go up the ramp towards the circular dining room with the windows. Plenty of great character interaction there. The only drawback is the narrow pathway that the other guests have to maneuver by when the characters are visiting our table.

Hope this link works but here is my photos from Goofy's Kitchen.

Goofys Kitchen pictures by BlueGenie_2007 - Photobucket

• Laughing Place Finder

Thanks all! That is a lot of good advice. I'll keep that in mind.

And GREAT pics there Captain Hook's. That is a diverse collection of characters. Looks like you've had really good luck there. Fingers are crossed that we have equally good fortune. I would never expect multiple princesses but as long as we get one my little monkey-toes of a daughter will be thrilled.

Thanks everyone!!

Mmmmmmmmm prime rib

• Happiest Girl On Earth

The best time to go is the off-season, because it's less expensive...

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

• I'm Wishing...

I know OldSchoolMickey covered a lot of this, but I thought I'd expand if I could =) From my experience, the best time to see characters is during the prime seating times (from around 8:30-10:30 for breakfast, 12-1:30 for lunch, and around 6:00-8:00 for dinner). Usually, there are more princesses at the breakfast and dinner seating, while Alice and Mad Hatter usually come for lunch around noon. I usually almost always see Goofy, Minnie, Pluto, Chip, Dale, and the Fairy Godmother during dinner. The princesses are more common on weekends from my experience, and are usually there individually (for example Cinderella will be there for an hour or so, and then Snow White will come), which differs from Ariel's Grotto. I usually see a lot more fuzzies (non-face characters) at Goofy's. =)

I hope you have an AMAZING time, I love the prime rib too... Mmmmm.

One Princess I really want to see there is Belle from what I have hear is Belle comes to Goofy's in her blue dress. That's been the only reason why I go to Goofy's and so far haven't seen Belle there. The times I have been there is around 6:45pm to 7:30pm the only time for the lunch was around 12:30.

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    One Princess I really want to see there is Belle from what I have hear is Belle comes to Goofy's in her blue dress. That's been the only reason why I go to Goofy's and so far haven't seen Belle there. The times I have been there is around 6:45pm to 7:30pm the only time for the lunch was around 12:30.
    That's true. My daughter got to meet Belle aat Goofy's Kitchen when Belle was wearing her blue peasant dress and apron in December of 2007. We made special note of it because we've never seen Belle in that costume before or since. I'll keep my eyes peeled during our upcoming trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast