Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Why does it seem like Disneyland frequently gets more updates than Magic Kingdom?

I have noticed that Disneyland usually receives more updates (like Fantasmic! has been receiving many upgrades recently). But then I look at WDW and Magic Kingdom. Has that park been receiving updates lately? I don't think their Fantasmic! has gotten many upgrades, or the size of upgrades as Disneyland's has. What is the reasoning for this? I am just curious to know.
    Last edited by stevo505; 07-02-2009 at 07:18 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Why does it seem like Disneyland frequently gets more updates than Magic Kingdom?

Because Disneyland relies on locals to keep it busy. A large percentage of Disneyland's fan base are locals who go there at least several times in one year, and this forces Disneyland to update their attractions in order to entice these people to keep coming and to keep it from getting stale.

WDW on the other hand relies on tourists mostly, and many of these people if they come multiple times only do so once every couple of years. Therefore there is a lot less pressue for WDW to update and refresh their attractions as it is with Disneyland.

• Minion

Re: Why does it seem like Disneyland frequently gets more updates than Magic Kingdom?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    I have noticed that Disneyland usually receives more updates (like Fantasmic! has been receiving many upgrades recently). But then I look at Magic Kingdom. Has that park been receiving updates lately? I don't think their Fantasmic! has gotten many upgrades, or the size of upgrades as Disneyland's has. What is the reasoning for this? I am just curious to know.

Just a note: WDW's Fantasmic! is in Disney's Hollywood Studios rather than the Magic Kingdom.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    A large percentage of Disneyland's fan base are locals who go there at least several times in one year, and this forces Disneyland to update their attractions in order to entice these people to keep coming and to keep it from getting stale.
    I'd flip it the other way: rather than forcing Disney to give something to its existing local customers, it gives Disney something big and splashy to get the attention of the locals and regionals who haven't yet been hooked on the multiple-visits-a-year AP habit. They are where the growth is going to come from.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    Just a note: WDW's Fantasmic! is in Disney's Hollywood Studios rather than the Magic Kingdom.
    Oh yes, sorry. I should change it to WDW altogether.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I'd flip it the other way: rather than forcing Disney to give something to its existing local customers, it gives Disney something big and splashy to get the attention of the locals and regionals who haven't yet been hooked on the multiple-visits-a-year AP habit. They are where the growth is going to come from.

I wasn't thinking about APers.

But that's true too.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Many of WDW's updates go unnoticed here. The size of the place really makes spotting all the work much harder and it gets 'dilluted'. Also, there isn't nearly as much scrutiny about the park's daily life in the fan community as there is DL. Plus, on a site like this, the coverage is very light to none on WDW.

So in a lot of ways... 'out of sight, out of mind'. Plus, WDW's scale and scope of responsibilities really dwarfs DLR. So there are a gazzilion more tasks that need attention.

For instance, I think the reference I heard was WDW has 300 miles of roads to maintain. Just the budget alone to MOW THE GRASS along the highways, and not even looking at the parks, probably beat's DLR's entire mowing budget.

WDW has to spend a lot on things outside the main attractions. That combined with the different audiences, and all the perception things outlined before.. really make it sound like nothing ever happens at WDW. Which of course simply isn't true.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I think there's been quite a few updates at WDW but I guess they're all incredibly forgettable so people tend not to think about them.

Recently there was that Stitch show in Tomorrowland, American Idol, Pixar Place, Midway Mania, Spaceship Earth, Kim Possible, etc etc.

Another reason why WDW may not get MAJOR updates as often on existing attractions is because of they feel that people are flying a long way to do something and it wouldn't look good if it were closed.

And to that, I say that the park has too few attractions if they're worried about that. At Disneyland, if one attraction is closed, there's PLENTY more to see without having to travel to another park.

WDW doesn't have that luxury for who knows why.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Mickey is not my Brother

Well Disneyland is the oldest child so they get all the perks.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Many of WDW's updates go unnoticed here. The size of the place really makes spotting all the work much harder and it gets 'dilluted'. Also, there isn't nearly as much scrutiny about the park's daily life in the fan community as there is DL. Plus, on a site like this, the coverage is very light to none on WDW.

So in a lot of ways... 'out of sight, out of mind'. Plus, WDW's scale and scope of responsibilities really dwarfs DLR. So there are a gazzilion more tasks that need attention.

For instance, I think the reference I heard was WDW has 300 miles of roads to maintain. Just the budget alone to MOW THE GRASS along the highways, and not even looking at the parks, probably beat's DLR's entire mowing budget.

WDW has to spend a lot on things outside the main attractions. That combined with the different audiences, and all the perception things outlined before.. really make it sound like nothing ever happens at WDW. Which of course simply isn't true.
    Precisely. WDW's income a couple of years ago was just over $9 billion, but it's operating costs were $8 billion. And much of the profit earned by WDW is redistributed to parts of the company which have trouble supporting themselves.

In terms of my philosophy, if they add a new attraction to the property more than once every 3-4 years, they are wasting their money. I think that this slow time right now will be beneficial overall. It can help the company regroup and prepare for new attractions for the next decade.

Not to mention all of the maintenance that occurs in the parks. There are refurb walls all over the MK right now, including themed walls and tarps. Space Mountain, along with the TTA are down for refurb. HOP just opened after it's several month long refurb.
    SSE had a fantastic refurb early last year and EPCOT is always receiving upgrades. The Living Seas received a fantastic upgrade which made m love the pavilion even more than I did in its earlier years. But people overlook them for some reason. Maybe they expect a Mission:Space type attraction every year but reality is that such is not logical in a resort the size of WDW.
    Last edited by WDW Monorail; 07-03-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• DL Nerd

cuz we are better.

thats really it.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Cars Land Rocks!

I always felt it was a combination of things. Disneyland does rely on many more local visitors than WDW does. Also, Imagineering and Disney Execs are here in CA. Disneyland is also the original park (the oldest) ... and as Walt said, Disneyland will never be finished. I never liked the idea that WDW was afraid to close attractions for fear of disappointing those visitors that may only come once in a lifetime, or only every few years, but it seems to be true. WDW has plenty to see, I don't think someones vacation will be ruined just because Space Mountain is closed.

• back in Austin

Another obvious reason no one has mentioned yet is that John Lasseter takes a personal interest in Disneyland and is more vocal about making upgrades happen there. I don't think WDW has an analogous advocate within the Disney Co.

• Banned User

much of the profit earned by WDW is redistributed to parts of the company which have trouble supporting themselves.
    That is sickening. Robbing theme park patrons to support other parts of the conglomerate? The resorts are a much better asset than any underperforming division, and should receive more reinvestment, not less.

• Member of Baxter's Army

WDW Management is incredibly cheap. They will only update something when it is literally about to fall apart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast