Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Goodbye Timon parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Isn't there some way that they could make the structures have a "Hooray I'm at Disneyland now" feel to them, the way that entering the old lot did?

If I'm going to have to deal with a concrete monstrosity, can't it at least be a little more fun than parking for an office building?
    I agree with you Barry! The parking lot experience leaves alot to be desired. There must be some way to make the guests introduction to the "overture/Act 1" of the show a more worthy interesting and less shopping mall/office building/dr.'s office experience.

I keep trying to think how on earth one could make the experience better. Low level background music? Interesting murals?
    It is a really tough problem. Obviously on the lowest of the lowest levels of the design issues or budgets at Dland but if it was up to us, how could we make it better? Perhaps when they build the next monster parking garage they can incorporate some of the ideas into the design.

What are your suggestions? (assuming we stay within the basic design concepts of a parking garage that can accommodate 10,000+ cars or how ever many the structure now holds!)

Has a Pumbaa Parking Structure been confirmed or is it still a rumor at this point? It's pretty obvious that it (or something similar) will be a necessity, but, though I have often wondered if it would be done, I don't remember hearing anything about it until reading several references to it in this thread. Perhaps I just missed the information sometime earlier. Anyone have any info?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post

What are your suggestions? (assuming we stay within the basic design concepts of a parking garage that can accommodate 10,000+ cars or how ever many the structure now holds!)
    Well, part of it was the fact that it was outdoors (the old lot). It was also a drawback because of the sun-baked car syndrome, one nice thing about the structure.

I so remember...the sounds. Of the monorail passing overhead...of the train pulling into the Main Street station...and the whistle of the Mark Twain.

To start with, maybe some sort of audio setup with...those sounds.

I also hope they put in some moving walkways. In the present setup, your hike just to get to a tram is longer than the walk from some areas of the parking lot to the gates themselves in the old days.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 07-03-2009 at 03:11 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Can Only Wish For More!

I don't remember parking in the Old Lot, but I do remember the trips I took to Disneyland as a kid. With the new resort, I can't keep the names of the lands right. Is it still Indiana Jones land? Wall-E land? Peter Pan land? Pirates land? I mean, with Cars land coming in, what are movie is Paradise Pier going to use for the new name? Little Mermaid land?
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
    Just out of curiosity I didnt know that they were planning on building a structure in the Pumba lot. So is the lot still open?

Also are there really trams going from the Pumba lot to the DL entrance?

So my other question would be do any of you guys think that the Pumba lot is closer to the DL gates then Simba?
    Ok, I took your response and broke it up into 3 different segments.

1. Yes, Disney is in the planning stages to build a Parking Structure at the current Pumbaa Lot location, but a lot of permits have to issued, including working with Caltrans in regards to freeway exit ramp traffic issues. So hopefully they get all the permits and can start construction, but nothing has been finalized yet.

2. Yes, Disney has contracted with Coach USA/Gray Line to offer bus service. They are the Large White Buses, and have a 8 1/2 by 11 sign with a Pumbaa Sketch on it. They go from the South West corner of the Pumbaa Lot to the Lion King/ART Tram loading area. They are running whenever the lot is open. Disney is also offering the same service to Anaheim GardenWalk when Disney uses part of their parking structure for Theme Park parking. (Bus loading is on the first (basement) level near the entrance to 24 Hour Fitness.

3. Let's look at the distances, using an "average" parking space in both lots to the center of the Main Entrance Plaza, using the Gmaps Pedometer system.

First, from Simba... (3/4 of a mile walk each way)

Gmaps Pedometer

And now from Pumbaa (6/10 of a mile)

Gmaps Pedometer

So yes, Pumbaa is shorter, by .15 of a mile.

Hope that helps
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Thanks for the breakdown Darkbeer!

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

I bid thee Timon, a fare adieu. As you go off, not necessarily so gently into the harsh winds of reality.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• Returning to DL 2/29

Timon was great !there was never a crowd unlike Mickey and Friends UGH!
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about and I find it overly nostalgic nonsense.
    At least the old parking lot was not a gigantic monument to Eisner's ego and Disney's failure.

And as for the "experience" of the parking structure, it doesn't bother me. This is not WDW--I'm really only concerned about what goes on inside the parks themselves, just like before.

There used to be more of a contrast between the old parking lot and the other side of the tunnels through the berm, and I do miss that stronger sense of teleportation into a magical realm, but not to the point that I wouldn't want a second park. The problem, most unfortunately, is the second park itself, which provides me with the only exterior view that I find disturbing, namely its skyline that so loudly screams "ordinary" and "hackneyed."

I sure wouldn't mind having that old parking lot back again, and it's not about nostalgia but the ability to dream about what could be instead of feeling disappointment for what is and will be.

Now that the Pumba lot is being closed for good, what will happen with that old entrance? What about those old ticket booths? Still seems weird not going through that main entrance to Disneyland.

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

Can someone provide a link for the proposed work that is going to be done in concept? For what with all that is going to be done, I am getting a bit lost as to what is what, regarding changes, additions, and subtractions. TIA
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobsledbob View Post
    Now that the Pumba lot is being closed for good, what will happen with that old entrance? What about those old ticket booths? Still seems weird not going through that main entrance to Disneyland.
    First off, it is Timon that is closing (the old original parking lot). Pumbaa is the lot on Disney Way across from Anaheim GardenWalk.

Due to agreements with the city, the Harbor Boulevard entrance HAS to stay open, as it takes a lot of cars that exit on Katella Avenue/Disney Way exit from I-5 off the city streets. So the Toll booths will remain and still collect money. But basically it will send cars to either the Parking Structure or the Simba Lot using the current roadway at the south end of the property, that runs behind California Screamin. Disney is building a new tall fence to block off the Timon lot (Photos in yesterday's In the Parks article at MiceAge.)

Oops I typed the wrong one. Thanks Darkbeer! I didn't know they had an agreement with the city, but it does make sense. Thanks

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stinker Bell View Post
    Can someone provide a link for the proposed work that is going to be done in concept? For what with all that is going to be done, I am getting a bit lost as to what is what, regarding changes, additions, and subtractions. TIA
    OK, a quick recap for those who don't read IN the Parks updates at MiceAge. I have been covering the parking issues for the last few months on a regular basis.

Moves Disney has recently taken.

Over at the Simba parking lot, Disney has "rebuilt" the Tram loading area behind the Paradise Pier Parking Structure. They also repaved and repainted the lot, so most of the parking spaces are now in the traditional "Double" parking space line-up that you find at the other Disneyland Them Park parking lots.

They added a new addition to the Katella Cast Member Parking Lot, that is basically designed to replace the part of the Simba Lot that has been used by CM's (and DtD employees) the last few years. This will allow most of the Simba lot to be available to Theme Park Guests.

Disney entered into an agreement with the new Anaheim GardenWalk complex to allow Disney to use a section of their parking spaces for Theme Park parking in the morning. Extra spaces are available, as the structure was designed to handle not just the Shoppertainment Complex, bu some Time Shares and hotels, which have not been built yet. Disney has installed infrastructure that allows them to set up computerized registers at the Parking Entrance off of Disney Way, and they collect the normal fees (and honor the AP Parking passes).

The Pumbaa Lot across the street has been used more often to replace the spaces lost in the Timon Lot, as many spaces were removed to allow for an area to store all the World of Color equipment and allow for the Construction Workers to park. (Many of them bring their own tools, and need to be close to the project).

Disney ended an agreement with a Strawberry Farmer to operate the Strawberry Field that was rumored to become the Third Park, next to the Buzz Lightyear Parking Lot south of Katella on Harbor. Disney plowed and graded the field, but has not gotten the proper permits to allow construction of a "flat" parking lot on the land, to allow for additional parking next to the Buzz Lightyear lot.

So what are the plan for the rest of the year...

First off, lets start with slow days, which won't be until late August.

Disney will only operate the Parking Structure, and guests who enter the Harbor Blvd. Entrance will be sent to the parking structure vis the back road south of DCA to Disneyland Drive, and then up Disneyland Drive to the Parking Structure.

If it gets a bit busier, they will use Simba and/or Pumbaa in addition to the parking structure. Alas, this does cost Disney quite a bit of money. First off, they have to pay the Anaheim Police Department to direct traffic on city streets, which includes the direction to Pumbaa on Disney Way, and the road crossing to Simba over Disneyland Drive. The contract with the Police Union basically requires the use of off duty officers that will get paid overtime. And Disney has to pick up the costs of the officers, plus the supervision and related costs, such as police vehicle use. Also, Disney will have to pay someone to operate additional buses. For the Simba lot, that is paying Empire Transportation to operate additional buses from the Katella CM lot due to the lack of spaces for CM's at Simba. If they park Pumbaa, then they have to pay Coach USA to operate the large white buses. (Trams are not street legal, although there is a special exemption that allows them to cross Disneyland Drive).

If it expected to be a bit more busy, then they will use Anaheim GardenWalk, which requires the setup and transportation of a bunch of CM's to the lot, (They have to do a lot of directing of traffic and make sure that Disneyland guests park in the proper spaces (which are farther away than most from the AGW mall entrances, which are left open for the shoppers) plus pay Coach USA to operate the buses for guests to go to the park.

The next two options are partially based on what is going on at the Convention Center, as Disney does have a deal to share the Buzz Lightyear and Pongo lots next to the former Strawberry Field and also the Convention center Parking Structure that you access off of Katella Avenue. So it truly depends if there is a major event or even a couple at the Convention Center. Plus Disney pays Coach USA for Buses if they park at Buzz/Pongo. Plus to make things worse, the City of Anaheim is planning to remove the original parking Structure at the Convention Center to build a new hotel and add more Convention meeting space. This will have the city to want to use the Buzz Lightyear/Pongo lots more often. (and why Disney is trying to pave over the former Strawberry Field).

Of course, as we have seen a few times this year already, Disney just gives up and says that all Parking Lots are full and no parking is available.

Plus you have to add into the mix House of Blues and other major Downtown Disney events that can require the use of a lot of parking spaces.

So it looks like Parking at the DLR will be an major issue for the foreseeable future...

Hope that helps.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I have a lot of memories of parking in the old lot when I was a kid and we would drive over from Arizona to Disneyland with my family. When my brother and I got old enough we took our first solo road trip to Disneyland. We ended up staying in whatever the motel was right next to the old Disneyland parking lot. Our room was on the very end of the building and there was a nice cutout in the plants so we could over-look the Disneyland parking lot and see Space Mountain out our motel window. We couldn't believe our luck to get that room on our first non-parent trip to Disneyland.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast