Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Minion

Re: Goodbye Timon parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I am not really sure i have not kept up with what is going on in costuming. I just get upset when i see Castmembers with costumes that are dragging on the floor or look like they selpt in them. I have seen several of them with pants that are several inches to long and the bottom of the pants are torn and dirty.
    I think a lot of the reason why CM's are allowed to take clothing home, is a matter of convenience. Most CM's usually work at the same location, and I think in the past there would be CM's that complained about being late because they had to go through the wait and the line at costuming. It would allow CM's to come dressed in costume and leave in costume, either going straight to their scheduled location, or going straight to the shuttle to the parking lot. But it's a shame that a lot of CM's, not pointing fingers or naming names at anyone on here, but it's a shame that a lot abuse that trust and that convenience by just being lazy and not taking care of what's been entrusted to them. I still miss that one Frontierland brown coat I had with them at one time. It was really nice.

But in the words of Forrest Gump - "That's all I'm gonna say about that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Granted there are more cast members than before, and they'd require a bigger facility, but it has been done. They used to do it every day.

And ideally, at least with the old system, you'd exchange your costume at the end of each shift for a clean one that would be waiting in your locker upon your next arrival.
    im sure thre are more cast members not since more thing has been put in the last 10 years or so. cast member still can do what you said but they also have the option of taking 3 pairs of costume home and washing them themselves.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Those that are sad are the long time Disneyland enthusiasts. Back before the nightmare of Disney's California Adventure was ever created, there was the huge parking lot, and the ONLY parking lot for Disneyland right across from the main entrance. This was the area where you can park in BF Egypt, but at least there were trams that would take you around the lot. This was the place where there were power lines running through the lot. This was also the area where they would park the cars for the 30th and 35th anniversaries giveaways. This was also the area where if you rode the monorail around for a round trip, you might just be able to see your car.
    I am a long time Disney enthusiast been going to the parks since '84 and refuse to set foot in that garbage park DCA. However, I was not sad when the parking lot was removed.

How long has the Timon lot been there? Was it originally called something else? because Timon the charecter came out in 1994 so if its only that old it seems wierd to be attached to it. All I know is every year when we go to Disneyland I hate parking there. The Garage is way better.

Sounds like you should move to Florida, Walt Disney World is still stuck in the 70s with the old big parking lots, trams, and hot sun beating down on you.

So get a life people? Pitiful comment from a little person who just doesn't have some of the great memories that a lot of us "people" have.

Good day to you sir.
    LMAO! I have memories of the old parking lot but 90% of it was ripped up for DCA. Why do you care that this little sliver of parking lot is going away? Are you seriously comparing the old parking lot to the likes of Peoplemover, America Sings, Rocket Jets, Captain EO, Skyway, Submarine Voyage, etc.??

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I ask that you please be reminded that part of the issue is that a parking option will be removed (at least temporarily for a while) and that this creates a huge problem for those who approach Disneyland from the south on the 5.
    well then don't come to Disneyland until construction is finished. Problem Solved!

• Done waiting!!

Oy I just read 8 pages about a parking lot. I want ten minutes of my life back. The only interesting thing about this is the vertical ironwork going up for the trolley barn. It seems to be about the same distance from the "on-stage" line as the railroad/monorail barn is from its loop in DL.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    How long has the Timon lot been there? Was it originally called something else? because Timon the charecter came out in 1994 so if its only that old it seems wierd to be attached to it. All I know is every year when we go to Disneyland I hate parking there. The Garage is way better.
    From what I remember, after coming through the Harbor Toll Plaza, you were in the Mickey lot. Minnie was next to it. But looking at old aerial views of the park after it opened, it was a few years at least until the parking lot actually reached Katella.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    well then don't come to Disneyland until construction is finished. Problem Solved!
    Wow. You are really passionate about this topic.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    Oy I just read 8 pages about a parking lot. I want ten minutes of my life back.
    And so you add to the time that you lost in your life by, of your own choice, reading through this thread, by...

taking the extra time to post in it.

Don't blame the rest of us for engaging in a conversation that no one was forcing you to read.

I've read and responded to your post. I'd like that minute of my life back.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Won't they always need at least some outdoor parking for the oversized vehicles? RV's and the like.

And you make it sound as if I'm going to chain myself to the fence surrounding Timon and tell the tractor-driver "you'll have to take me first!"

Not gonna happen. Obviously, you're getting your wish, and "progress" is at hand.

But there's still not wrong with marking it as "the end of an era". And with that, those of us who wish to will bring up some nice memories, and things they liked about the experience of the old lot that they're not even trying to duplicate with the new structures.

There were certainly drawbacks in the old days, too. Not only the sun-baked cars, but the bottlenecks getting out at the end of the night. Once you finally get back to your car (after a long tram wait and a loing walk) it's easier getting out of the structure. No doubt.

But could they spend just a little more money on the next one for some of the improvements I suggested? Moving walkways at the top of the list.
    Very well said. I'm very nostalgic, and I am sad the last bit of the old parking lot is going away. In fact, yesterland's section on the parking lot is one of the things (along with the submarine voyage and peoplemover) that got me hooked on that site a few years ago. Maybe there was nothing great about the parking lot itself, but it represents bygone days and another era. That lot and those days live on only in our memories now, and it is good to reminisce here. As sad as I am to see it go, I've made my peace with it and I very much look forward to seeing a land built themed around one of my greatest interests.

Thought - wouldn't it be cool if they left a patch of the asphalt from the parking lot intact within cars land, maybe as the stretch of road or a "parking lot" outside one of the buildings? Then we'd always have a bit of that old lot with us, that we could still touch. If I was in charge, I'd do that for sure!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

If you only knew want I went through today....

I got to say goodbye to the parking lot I grew up with (and took a lot of photos of today)...

And I was leaving, got asked by security why I was taking photos (potential terroist).... we had a good laugh once the "sky in the eye" found out who I was... but it was a WEIRD ending to walking away from the Timon Lot.

Tomorrow, the lot will be closed and folks will be sent elsewhere....

And that is a GOOD thing, to see DCA expand and add new attractions!

Alas, there will be still a part of me missing the old lot.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• I read the news today...

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    Oy I just read 8 pages about a parking lot. I want ten minutes of my life back.
    That has to be the quote of the month. The title of the thread literally says "parking lot" in it.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

• Mickey Mouse Slave

I think a lot of the reason why CM's are allowed to take clothing home, is a matter of convenience. Most CM's usually work at the same location, and I think in the past there would be CM's that complained about being late because they had to go through the wait and the line at costuming. It would allow CM's to come dressed in costume and leave in costume, either going straight to their scheduled location, or going straight to the shuttle to the parking lot. But it's a shame that a lot of CM's, not pointing fingers or naming names at anyone on here, but it's a shame that a lot abuse that trust and that convenience by just being lazy and not taking care of what's been entrusted to them. I still miss that one Frontierland brown coat I had with them at one time. It was really nice.

But in the words of Forrest Gump - "That's all I'm gonna say about that!"
    it is a matter of convience, but its also a matter on the clothing size. Many times, i go to costuming, they never have my size. I always end up wearing one size bigger and end up having to improvise my costume. :| HEnce, i try to keep my costume(correct size) and wash them myself.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Can Only Wish For More!

Parking and Costuming? Hell, I say!

I would love to see anything about the old concepts for parking and a hotel!

Also, about the costuming dept., since I worked on the extreme westside of the park and costuming is on the extreme east, I always arrived an hour early just to make sure I got the right costume and still had time to wait in line, change, and the trek across the park or get in my car that was parked in the 15-minute parking and drive around to the Ball lot!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Banned User

On the 460 sometimes I see uniformed CMs though the costumes are not too obvious like security and parking lot CMs.

I will now wait for someone to post Ebay listings for signs, poles, asphalt and other bits of Timon parking lot. I bet Disney could get a lot off of sales. If the Simba lot is opened then they will have to keep the old toll booths open.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Just because you disagree with how a person feels about something on here, doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful with the words you choose to express on how you disagree with someone.
    Hrmn.

So get a life people? Pitiful comment from a little person who just doesn't have some of the great memories that a lot of us "people" have.
    Paging Mr. Kettle. Paging Mr. Black Kettle.

Word of advice... I'd start with the man in your mirror. Oo! I'd ask him to change his ways. Oo!

... Sorry, I have the song stuck in my head right now since I just heard it on the PA.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 07-06-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678