Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

DEP becomes MSEP again! Will we see some changes revert?

From Al:

Next year, as part of the 55th Anniversary, the newly freshened Electrical Parade is finally planned to move back over to Disneyland. That move isn't so much a sentimental anniversary gift for Disneyland, than it is a logistical necessity for DCA once the main entrance area is sliced apart by construction walls and the nightly attention is on the World of Color lagoon instead of the parade route.
    Now, I do know that Al is saying that the newly refreshened Electrical Parade is the version going back to Disneyland. However, since this is the return to the original park, do you think that Disney Management might pull something similar to Magical and pull possibly things like the Dreamlights soundtrack when the parade returns to Main Street? This would be based on the statement that this was only for the Summer Nightastic promotion.

It was easier to let the refreshed soundtrack and tink come into the parade when it was in DCA, because it is known for being hip and edgy. However, now that it is returning to its place of origination, I don't feel so easy about it. Could things like the soundtrack be reverted since this is the birthplace of the music? After all, Remember...Dreams Come True has been playing the soundtrack down Main Street for 4 years now.

Your opinions?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Special Agent

Re: DEP becomes MSEP again! Will we see some changes revert?

You do know that Al has been saying the electrical parade will come back to Disneyland since 1997... right?

• We Go On.

Well, even though I did know this would happen sometime or another, this is good news. I can't remember the last time I saw this on Disneyland's Main Street. And it will create more competition for WoC, which is probably a good thing, since we know that WoC will probably be immensely popular.

• HauntedOne999

I just dont understand why they couldnt just incorporate the Blue Fairy into Pinocchio's unit. I mean all they would really need to do is remove her dress train.

but seeing how Disney is putting so much into Tinker Belle I can see her being kept - especially with a new movie comming out. The float would also tie in with Pixie Hollow. But with how many people go to the parks nowadays I dont think having it full length again will all the floats would work at DL... but who knows?

and how would they work out the nightly entertainment schedule?!?! that would be so crazy WOC, MSEP, F!, and then Pyro
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

When DEP goes back to Main Street, I really do hope they at least put the Dumbo unit back in the parade. The whole parade right now feels a little short for me, and having that float back would be awesome. I don't care too much for the Blue Fairy, so I can take it or leave it.

• Banned User

Guys, the changes that were made to the Electrical Parade were to bring the parade into the 21st century. The music is much more modern, and I can assure you that they wont go back to the old soundtrack. I don't think the Blue Fairy would work very well in the middle of the parade, as it really was made to be the opening. I'm fine with Tinker Bell though, they did that float really well! Dumbo could come back, but I think it'd be more likely for new floats to come in.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Guys, the changes that were made to the Electrical Parade were to bring the parade into the 21st century. The music is much more modern, and I can assure you that they wont go back to the old soundtrack.
    Wowsers, Disney better get busy -- the music for Alice, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Toad, Small World and the Haunted Mansion are even older than the MSEP's original soundtrack! Better change all that old music to "bring it into the 21st century" -- don't want to be stuck back in the 20th century, now, do we? And while we're at it, creaky characters like Mary Poppins and Bert need to be much mo' modern, too -- let's see 'em dancing hiphop! Hey, you know what they say in the Entertainment department, "It's so... so... yesterday!"

=P

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Wowsers, Disney better get busy -- the music for Alice, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Toad, Small World and the Haunted Mansion are even older than the MSEP's original soundtrack! Better change all that old music to "bring it into the 21st century" -- don't want to be stuck back in the 20th century, now, do we? And while we're at it, creaky characters like Mary Poppins and Bert need to be much mo' modern, too -- let's see 'em dancing hiphop! Hey, you know what they say in the Entertainment department, "It's so... so... yesterday!"
    There's a difference between all those things and the original Electrical Parade soundtrack though. It sounded like it was made in the 70s, because it was. All those other pieces you mentioned were classically orchestrated. While the parade was still great, and I enjoyed it immensely before the changes, it was a little dated compared especially to Dreamlights in Tokyo. These changes merely update the parade. It's essentially the same parade, just with amazing technological upgrades. I think it's safe to say that if these changes were not made, that the Electrical Parade wouldn't of latest that much longer.

• Senior Minion

All those other pieces you mentioned were classically orchestrated.
    Nope -- they're rerecords of Disney Studio staff composers' and orchestrators' soundtrack cues that totally show their era. You can hear Ollie Wallace, George "Big Kahuna" Bruns, Paul Smith & the boys in every bar. Their musical references run the gamut from classics to Disney shorts. Great stuff, but totally dated.

The point of my tongue-in-cheek post was that MSEP is classic as well. Retro is in the ear of the listener. And modern-for-modern's sake is bogus.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Nope -- they're rerecords of Disney Studio staff composers' and orchestrators' soundtrack cues that totally show their era. You can hear Ollie Wallace, George "Big Kahuna" Bruns, Paul Smith & the boys in every bar. Their musical references run the gamut from classics to Disney shorts. Great stuff, but totally dated.

The point of my tongue-in-cheek post was that MSEP is classic as well. Retro is in the ear of the listener. And modern-for-modern's sake is bogus.

Yeah, but the point I was trying to make was that they don't sound old. The original Electrical Parade soundtrack does.

i thought i mentioned this on other threads but must have been overlooked.

Yes, DEP is scheduled to be back on mainstreet next year and if things continue as planned the parade will see even more changes. If budgets and ideas get approved the parade should see more technical upgrades as well as possibly new floats replacing osme of the older ones.

DCA might then see a new night time parade after all the construction is done

Guys, the changes that were made to the Electrical Parade were to bring the parade into the 21st century.
    Well then, I guess that I don't like the 21st century much so far.

The music is much more modern, and I can assure you that they wont go back to the old soundtrack.
    The original soundtrack sounds a lot more electronic, which fits the parade better. I fail to see how "modern technology" could improve upon it, and in my opinion it's just the opposite in this case.

There's a difference between all those things and the original Electrical Parade soundtrack though. It sounded like it was made in the 70s, because it was.
    Evidently, musicians in the 1970s were far more adept at producing electronic music.

All those other pieces you mentioned were classically orchestrated.
    The parade's original soundtrack is only dated in your point of view. Electronic music is still being made today, and the tools that the most competent musicians and producers use are similar to vintage synthesizers--in fact, many of them are software emulations of classic synths. These classic instruments (e.g. the Minimoog) are no more "dated" than the piano or violin when they were invented, which had to have happened on some specific date. There was no need to redo the soundtrack into something that sounds less electronic and really rather bland and generic.

Yeah, but the point I was trying to make was that they don't sound old. The original Electrical Parade soundtrack does.
    As old as it is and as many times as I've heard it, it still sounds way fresher and more innovative than the new soundtrack.

All great points.

• FastPass n00b

Al said that they are doing it out of logistics, that means they don't care what the parade looks like, they just need it out of DCA for a while. I seriously doubt they would even bother changing its name back to Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade, even though that's what it will be when it comes back. It would be great if they actually acknowledged what an emotional victory this is for Disneyland fans, but it's all down to being forced to move it.

I wish they would return the old soundtrack and circus floats. The Tinkerbell float is okay, but the shouldn't mess with the rest of it.

• Banned User

Robert Cook, I don't get how the new soundtrack doesn't sound electronic. I think it sounds very electronic! Personally having the Dreamlights soundtrack, which is the same as the new DEP soundtrack. I mean have you heard the Pinocchio section? That is beeps and bops all over!

So if u care to find me, look to the western sky

buuut.... when will WOC debute... i know its next year, isnt it spring.
    early or late?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast