• Collision speed....FULL!

Disney's America On Parade

As part of celebrating 4th of July, I've pulled out an old book I have out of my library on Disneyland's (and Walt Disney World's) "America On Parade". Although the book mainly talks about the history of America, and nothing about the parade itself, the one stand-out feature of the book are the beautiful, large photo pull-outs that offer panoramas of the floats featured in the parade. Painstakingly scanned in sections, I've put together these photos to show you folks of today how the bicentennial was celebrated in the 70's (and to bring back some memories). I would color correct a lot of these, but I left them in their original color condition for nostalgia purposes.

For those of you who have never heard of such a parade, or can't seem to jog your memory, here's a quick summary of what the parade was about:

"Conceived as a salute and celebration honoring the American Bicentennial "America on Parade" began it's daily performances in July 1975, at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, and continued until September 1976. In all, the red, white and blue procession completed more than 1200 performances before a total audience of 25 million people, the largest audience ever to view a live performance".

-- Disneyland: The first Quarter Century

And now, I present to you a trip back to 1976 for...

(This post is presented in Super-Size Photo format, so be sure to click on the images to take in the detail!)

And what's a parade without characters

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

• HauntedOne999

Re: Disney's America On Parade

Thanks for posting the pics... I really liked the idea of the parade but hated how all the people had such BIG heads. And from what I heard it was like the daytime version of MSEP as it had a central tune then each float had its own music that would compliment the music.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Shubisha

Looks like those pictures are from WDW's parade btw.. Still nice to see just clarifying because your parenthesis placement seems to indicate the opposite.

And Alpoe, I couldn't stand the music to this(released in the Disneyland Forever system) because while sounding very beepy it was nowhere as catch as EP to me.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for that great post, Nautilus. I remember that parade quite well as I was a teenager then, and I still have the commemorative mug from my trip. That was a great Summer. Wasn't this also the first year that the MSEP added the patriotic ending?

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Looks like those pictures are from WDW's parade btw.. Still nice to see just clarifying because your parenthesis placement seems to indicate the opposite.
    Yes, but sharp eyes will notice that 7 pictures are from DL in addition to 7 from WDW.

• FastPass n00b

Can you imagine what this parade would look like today? Buzz Lightyear replacing the astronauts and Woody and Jesse replacing the cowboys. As if Buzz and Woody were actually real, let alone being there carving out our country. I like how all the characters are unique and original. There is NO WAY Disney would let this kind of originality into the park today.

Excellent pictures though, thanks for scanning them!

<bump>; In case anybody missed it