Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• =)

Question Haunted Mansion foyer

I'm quite confused now. Is the organ dirge version of GGG--the one that plays in the Haunted Mansion foyer--in Ab minor or A minor? I've heard recordings in both keys. The Disneyland soundtrack and Haunted Mansion attraction soundtrack disagree...

It would make more sense for it to be in A minor, since GGG is never heard in Ab minor in the rest of the ride. Which one is it? Or does it change keys?

I've also heard that ALL the music tracks in the attraction, including the foyer organ, are synced up together. (With the obvious exception of the ballroom waltz, which is in 3/4.) How can this be, since the foyer organ is so slow? I tried listening to the graveyard jamboree and the foyer organ together, and they didn't match at all. Especially once the jamboree modulates to Bb minor and then B minor.

Anyone know the answer?

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Haunted Mansion foyer

Uh, I don't even know what your question is!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Do you have a recording of the foyer music with the narration (When hinges creek in doorless chambers, blah, blah). If you can find that, then you can be sure that is the foyer music.

As far as "synced up," I think this refers to the slow background music that is played in most rooms. In much the same way that "Fun to be Free" was synced up in the former World of Motion so that it was seamless when going from one room to another. I don't think this refers to additional tracks such as the organ in the ballroom or the busts singing "Grim Grinning Ghost."

Just a side not, the mansion in Florida has a nice touch that I think is missing from the DL version. As you exit, there is a "Gregorian Chant" version of GGG being sung.

Cris

• =)

I have two recordings, both with the narration. Both recordings sound like they were played on the same organ, and both include the chimes playing very quietly in the background. They sound like the same recording--except that one is in Ab minor, and the other is in A minor. The pitch of the narration doesn't sound different between the two recordings. Both recordings are from CDs released by the Disney Company; in fact, I bought both CDs in Disneyland.

Druggas--unless if you're a musician, this question won't make much sense. All music (except a few contemporary and international genres) has what's called a key signature, which basically tells you where the notes of the melody are "centered." There are 12 major key signatures and 12 minor key signatures; major keys generally sound happy, and minor keys generally sound sad or angry. Grim Grinning Ghosts is in a minor key, which gives it a rather dark and "haunted" sound. I'm asking which of the minor key the foyer music is in.

(For any music theory fanatics out there--yes, I know that the 12 major keys and 12 minor keys are really the same thing, but set apart by a minor third. I'm just trying to simplify it for Druggas.)

Anyone know?

• Shubisha

All the synced up stuff are on these about 1 minute loop timings.

Prob been answered before but, what do they use to play all the sounds in DL? Is it all digital now or those big old tape reels or what? Always wondered...

• Minion

(Nearly) every sound is digital nowadays in the park, Cap'n.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand.

The Haunted Mansion foyer music on the 2001 Disneyland Official Album is in Ab minor. This is the only place I have heard it in Ab so it sounded very strange to me, since it is a partial too low. (I'm not a super pro in music theory, but I just listened to that CD and hit Ab on the piano, so I think I know what I'm doing heh). The version on the attraction CD is the actual one used in the attration, which is A minor.

In other words, in the attraction, the music never changes keys. Why they did that on that particular CD is beyond me, because it occurred ONLY on that album and I think 2002 as well, but the 50th ones they currently are selling have gone back to A minor (the correct one) again.

Also, the thing you heard about the music tracks being lined up is true for only the graveyard sequence, where all the tracks are about a minute long but are all exactly the same length and keep looping. (And just FYI- the graveyard tracks still loop the same during the Haunted Mansion Holiday music.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    the mansion in Florida has a nice touch that I think is missing from the DL version. As you exit, there is a "Gregorian Chant" version of GGG being sung.

Cris
    Actually, that is fully included at DL as well, as you are exiting your Doom Buggy, loud and clear.

Data, I'm pretty sure the intended key is A minor. Now I want to compare the soundtracks myself!

• =)

Captain Zissou, I believe the Haunted Mansion has switched to digital audio, although I'm not sure. Does anyone else know?

You're right about which CDs have which key signatures, 2DieFR. I'm thinking that it's more likely to be in A minor, since everything else in the ride starts in the key of A minor, too. The only way to definitively know would be to hear an actual recording of the ride, rather than a compilation of the audio tracks. Any volunteers?

About the syncing--you're right about the graveyard jamboree. I know there are many different music tracks in that area, all of which play at the same tempo and in the same key. As you pass by the hidden speakers, different tracks become more prominent than others. This is also true of the phantom piano in the attic. It plays a spooky arrangement of the wedding march, with chords very similar to GGG. The tempo is exactly half the tempo of GGG, so it syncs up perfectly even though it's slow.
    Last edited by Datameister; 10-02-2005 at 06:56 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    I believe the Haunted Mansion has switched to digital audio, although I'm not sure. Does anyone else know?
    I am 99% sure it's all digital.

I wasn't aware the "Gregorian Chant" was used in DL as well. I rememebr always hearing it in FL as you exit and pass the mausoleum.

Cris

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    The only way to definitively know would be to hear an actual recording of the ride, rather than a compilation of the audio tracks. Any volunteers?
    *Raises hand eagerly*

I'm a Haunted Mansion veteran. Believe me, it's A minor in the attraction.

• =)

I'll take your word for it.

• Rainicorn.

Nerdiest DLR music thread ever! I love it.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Uh, I don't even know what your question is!
    wife looked at me as I laughed at this one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast