Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: WDW Monorail Wreck and its Effect on Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post
    I believe they shut down all four BTM's worldwide, in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Yes, all BTM's around the world were shut down and modifications where made to all to the "locomotives"; they all lost their second "drive" wheel because of the incident.
    Which was "Solution Theatre" for public consumption (it's just like Security Theatre - "Hey, we did something to make it safer!") because IMNSHO the second set of Driver Wheels on the (dummy) locomotive car being there were not the root problem.

Even though it might have been the wheel set that fell off the train and jammed in the tracks in the fatal accident, I'm still betting that it fell off because the bolts were not tightened and safety-wired like the rest. And they can't just come out and say it, so they took a highly visible act to "solve" the problem.

When you change a tire you need to torque the lug nuts when you are done. If you change a tire on your car and drive off with the lug nuts only finger-tight against the wheel, I can guarantee you will have far more serious trouble in a very short time.

I can't predict exactly how or where - Might happen 5 miles down the road, might make it 500. Might just go all wobbly and give you a chance to pull over (and call a tow truck because both the wheel and studs are now toast), might shear the wheel studs and drop your brake rotor on the highway at speed as the loose wheel bounces into oncoming traffic and kills someone (through their windshield sideways)... But it's going to try and come off.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Because the train had to go forward to clear the TTC platform and the switch, then would need to reverse to go through the switch and over through a different beam and platform at the TTC on their way back to the Barn.
    Apparently the train would not have changed direction after clearing the spur, but would have continued in reverse along the emptied Express Line towards the Polynesian. The Express Line is emptied in the opposite direction of its operational direction so that the switch to the barn can be left open. Drivers apparently switch to drive forward to the barn at the Magic Kingdom station.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Which was "Solution Theatre" for public consumption (it's just like Security Theatre - "Hey, we did something to make it safer!") because IMNSHO the second set of Driver Wheels on the (dummy) locomotive car being there were not the root problem.

Even though it might have been the wheel set that fell off the train and jammed in the tracks in the fatal accident, I'm still betting that it fell off because the bolts were not tightened and safety-wired like the rest. And they can't just come out and say it, so they took a highly visible act to "solve" the problem.

When you change a tire you need to torque the lug nuts when you are done. If you change a tire on your car and drive off with the lug nuts only finger-tight against the wheel, I can guarantee you will have far more serious trouble in a very short time.

I can't predict exactly how or where - Might happen 5 miles down the road, might make it 500. Might just go all wobbly and give you a chance to pull over (and call a tow truck because both the wheel and studs are now toast), might shear the wheel studs and drop your brake rotor on the highway at speed as the loose wheel bounces into oncoming traffic and kills someone (through their windshield sideways)... But it's going to try and come off.

--<< Bruce >>--
    I had that happen to me. I drove away from the dealership and felt the wobble. The guy who worked on my car didn't tighten the lug nuts down. I think he got fired for that. Luckily I only got a couple blocks, got out, saw the nuts, and went right back.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    WDW did shut down their version of BTMRR after the fatality for a day, just for your information.
    Ok. You are right on this one.

The good news is that DL did not shut down their monorail. Instead, they dropped down to a 1-train operation until the cause of the accident was determined.

The latest news now is that the WDW Monorail is back in operation and that the DL Monorail is back to a 2-train operation.

Glad to hear that DL did not sit on this any longer than necessary.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123