Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Anxiety and Disneyland

The bathroom or that general area between the petting zoo and Celebration BBQ is pretty quiet and clean. Its way in the back so most people dont realize its there.
    Shopping:

1. www.disneystore.com
    2. http://www.mouseshoppe.com
    3. http://www.laughingplacestore.com
    4. "Disneyland Delivears" (800) 362-4533, [email protected]

Want to learn how to live more healthy? www.losenowandkeepitoff.com for more info ([email protected])

Quote Originally Posted by Lukey114 View Post
    how about a nice stroll on the monorail? I bet that you could ask for a cabin to yourself or ask to go in the front of the monorail,and just take a nice stroll through the park. That way its enjoyable for everyone, and it gives you guys a little break from the hectics of the park in summer, and at the same time not huddling in a corner.

And since your an AP, i would suggest visiting these places before hand to make sure that they're good.
    After what happened in Florida, I wouldnt recommend that right now.
    Shopping:

1. www.disneystore.com
    2. http://www.mouseshoppe.com
    3. http://www.laughingplacestore.com
    4. "Disneyland Delivears" (800) 362-4533, [email protected]

Want to learn how to live more healthy? www.losenowandkeepitoff.com for more info ([email protected])

• Banned User

My list

The nurse's Station have rooms ot lie down in that are quiet.

The nature trail at the back side of Grizzly Rapids.

Just west of Soarin is an employee exit and an airplane where there are few people.

Hollywoodland back lot area has the abandoned buildings and lots of nooks to hide out.

Bountiful Harvest Gardens have few people usuallly.

The wharf sometimes in the back areas can be pretty quiet.

Across from the Matterhorn is a path along the autopia that is a bit of respite. Motorboat dock is for smokers but pretty quiet.

The north side of Buzzlightyear building is for smokers partially and really quiet as few people park there.

The Mark Twain is pretty quiet ride for 20 minutes. Monorail is pretty quiet ride but you could get some loud people in there. Train is quiet and usually not too crowded.

Tom Sawyer Island on the west side has some dead end areas around the fort. The east end has people but there is nothing over there. There are tables or benches on the north side.

Upstairs at Golden Horseshoe Revue and Innoventions. Not many people up there. Pooh Corner suggestion is a good one. Carnation Plaza has a bandstand/stage and not many people and I agree that that is a good hiding spot. dumbo on the north side has some quieter spots. The trail to Big Thunder has a few spots to walk about and not so many people.

Harbour Galley has on the north side a little dock like area that has few people. The Main Street Station has a nice place to set and it overlooks Main Street. People run for the train and rarely stop there. Fantasy Faire has the meet an greet but that path is pretty quiet next to the train station.

Outside the parks the Esplanade in the middle and the big gate just to the west of Brea Bakery.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyHorace View Post
    Should I even be considering bringing him during these summer months?
    I don't know your brother's age nor the details of his disorder. But having personally dealt with relatives with anxiety disorders, and having been a visitor to Disneyland for over 50 years, my feeling is that you absolutely should not take him to Disneyland -- summer season or any season -- until he and your mother have discussed it with his medical and/or psychiatric care provider.

Disneyland is a big place that can give a person a lotof physical and emotional input. It can be a long walk to one of the "quiet places" described in the posts above (assuming you know how to get to them from where you are) -- and an even longer trip to the parking lot if your brother needs to leave.

"Panic disorder" and "anxiety disorder" are catchall terms that can include problems that are more serious than they appear. Get professional advice before taking your brother to Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    IOn more of a "big picture" note, however...I'm going to recommend not retreating to secluded locations. It feels like a natural choice to avoid the anxiety's stimulus, of course, but it's actually counterproductive. What that does is provide your brother some short-term relief while increasing fear of the stimulus in the long term. (I lack neither education nor personal experience in this!) A better tactic is for him to willingly expose himself to the situations that provoke anxiety. Is that fun? Heck no! But it actually works.
    Meaning no disrespect, many therapists will tell you that is the worst thing you could possibly do. Not only does it not work for some patients, it could make the condition worse.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-06-2009 at 02:40 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Once in a rare blue moon I get anxiety when I'm in the park. And some of these suggestions are good, but one thing at least to me that triggers it really isn't the crowds but a feeling of the crowds plus a feeling of being trapped in, which happens a lot in Disneyland due to its narrow crowded passageways and walkways.

This is why I don't suggest leaving the park. I suggest finding a place that is off the beaten path that is still within the park so it can help calm him down and acclimate him to the rest of the park. I don't suggest the Main Street Cinema or the Animation Building because it is dark, and the movies going off in every direction can be too overwhelming. In fact, I suggest not going on any rides as some have suggested because that experience is also just too much.

Instead find a quiet spot with expanding vistas. My two favorite spots are Carnation Gardens or Tom Sawyer's Island (toward the far end of it). I don't have any place in DCA because I don't get panic attacks in there. It has wide walkways and I don't feel as cramped in. Plus the theming is so poor that I don't have an emotional attachment to the place that may trigger an attack. If worse comes to worse I suggest going to First Aid.

• Hakuna Matata!

last time I was there I disovered the handicapped experience of the Sleeping Beauty Walk through. It's right near the exit to the regular walk through in the castle. It's a nice little room with a huge flat screen tv showing the "virtual walk thru". Its quiet and I've never seen anyone in there.

• Hakuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by rooby View Post
    The bathroom or that general area between the petting zoo and Celebration BBQ is pretty quiet and clean. Its way in the back so most people dont realize its there.
    I love that bathroom. I've never had anyone else in there with me

• <3

Smile Re: Anxiety and Disneyland

Welcome! I like to sit at this little mexican restaurant near big thunder when we need to chill we go there sometimes!
    OR we go to new orleans square behind all the shops there is that stair case, that place its pretty low key as well!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Actually, I frequently suffer from anxiety in large crowds, but probably not to the extent your younger brother does. First off, talk to your health care provider about the experience--and get an okay from that standpoint first. Then, from there, go to YouTube and have your younger brother post here on the boards on what he might experience and see firsthand. Have a 'plan' that he develops on what he can do and follow through. I would not recommend summer season, I'd try to find time when the park is less crowded.

Do not force him to do anything he doesn't want to do, that will just create negativity on whatever the event is.

For myself, however, I find there is so much going on in the positive vein, I become too distracted to stay anxious for long. Thank goodness there was wine at my own wedding!

How old is he? That might give us a better perspective. Are we talking about a child or a teen? And what has he done in the past when stuggling with this?

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

i suffer from panic disorder actually and it has gotten extremely bad the past month or so. i knew i was going to disneyland so i went to see a professional and got perscribed some meds. Ive had this disorder for over a year and it kept getting worse because i refused to take meds, but anyways my trip is in four days and i have only been on paxil for 5 days and i feel almost back to normal. I havent had a panic attack since the third day of taking it.

The funny thing is its supposed to take a couple weeks to work fully, but i feel great now. I am young, 19, so they were worried about side effects but i dont have any bad ones besides dry mouth and a little shaky for about 30 min. All im saying maybe he should see a doctor before he goes because i know how horrible panic attacks feel and many people dont. I dont know if you ever had one but if you hadnt i promise you that you have no idea how bad they feel. I cant explain to my bf how bad i feel because on the outside i look fine but inside i feel like i am dying and going crazy. And a few people say just because their family members have it they know how bad it is, but thats not the case. they can see how it affects the person but they dont know how real it feels because words cant describe. it sounds like your brother has agoraphobia that was developed because he had panic attacks while in a public place so now he is avoiding what he thought caused the panic attack. But i am wondering if he has panic disorder or some other form like generalized anxiety disorder. Honestly you should take care of it before it gets worse. But he should go to disneyland because if you stop doing things because your scared something might happen then you stop living.

Try cognitive thinking and talking if you cant get medication and dont tell him its nothing. tell him he is a brave strong person that can overcome anything. O ya on a side note my mom told me singing helps because it takes your mind off yourself and make you focus on lyrics. good luck and i hope your brother gets better soon.
    Last edited by wonton; 07-06-2009 at 08:36 AM.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Meaning no disrespect, many therapists will tell you that is the worst thing you could possibly do. Not only does it not work for some patients, it could make the condition worse.
    In my experience, every one of them I've talked to or heard from has advocated this type of approach, as have nearly all books I've read on the topic. I can't offer any statistics on what percentage of people it works on or anything, but I know it sure as heck worked for me. The trick is to do it gradually ("systematic desensitization") and in a safe environment. Disneyland may not completely offer either of those, so starting off in another location might be best for his brother, but I stand by my advice as a general principle. EDIT: And I also agree with everyone strongly recommending a conversation with a doctor, if that hasn't happened already. As far as I can tell, my advice is sound, but only if it truly is "just" a panic disorder and not something more dangerous. (Not trying to downplay the seriousness of a panic disorder...believe me when I say I know how devastating they can be! )

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    In my experience, every one of them I've talked to or heard from has advocated this type of approach, as have nearly all books I've read on the topic. I can't offer any statistics on what percentage of people it works on or anything, but I know it sure as heck worked for me. The trick is to do it gradually ("systematic desensitization") and in a safe environment. Disneyland may not completely offer either of those, so starting off in another location might be best for his brother, but I stand by my advice as a general principle.
    Thank you. I have talked to a lot of doctors and none say to shy away from places that trigger it. If you have ever seen teh show obsessed to the way to overcome your anxiety or ocd is to come face to face with what sets you off. as bad as anxiety and panic attacks feel they cant kill you.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by wonton View Post
    as bad as anxiety and panic attacks feel they cant kill you.
    And that's the key right there. An honest-to-goodness panic attack is an extremely frightening and unpleasant experience, but it can't hurt you. (Unless the panicker does something dangerous in an attempt to avoid the situation...but that's why desensitization has to happen in a safe environment.) Panic attacks are self-limiting. They always end, and afterward, no damage has been done to the body. Willingly allowing an attack feels like the worst thing in the world...but it's not. It sends the much-needed signal to the subconscious that the stimulus and the anxiety don't need to be feared.

• Senior Minion

Sorry, guys. I respectfully have to strongly disagree.

Advising the "just power through it, it won't hurt you" solution to a person with panic disorder is (literally) bad medicine.

Panic disorder can have physical symptoms involving a person's perception and coordination. Add to it the moving rides that the person may be on at Disneyland, and the possibility that the person may be on meds, and yes, it could be physically threatening to himself and to others.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I have faced some anxiety issues in the past that were exacerbated by being in a crowded area, so I know what he's going through!

My best bit of advice is this:

Let him get into every attraction line FIRST, followed by you or or mother. He can get as much space between him and the person in front of him as he needs and you can give him space behind. It is amazing how much 'stress' is added by having people you don't know pushed up against you.

I still do this every time I go to the parks. My fiance and I have developed a little signal that tells him that I need him to give me some more space in line, and I will back off the person in front of me accordingly.

Oh! Waiting in a crowded line for trams gets me anxious every time. If he's physically capable, Id tell him to do the nice little walk to the park rather than ride the trams, or at least give him the option if he gets nervous when he sees the crowds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast