Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland Resorts 3rd theme park

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    i doubt the parks would ever be completed, yes they might run out of room but there will always be something to change.

If they are serious about eventually adding a third gate it would make no sense to wait until Disneyland and/or DCA are built out. There always has to be room for expansion and change in those park. the only thing that needs to happen is that both the first gate and second gate are stable enough to be able to take any shift in guest flow.

When the plans for the DCA's revamp were first described to me one of the things that was mentioned was that their priority was to expand DCA to a size that was comparable to Disneyland. At the same time increase guest attendance clicks so that a third gate could go into development.

They expect that when a third gate is built that it would cut into both Disneyland and DCA's attendance. The biggest hit would of course be to DCA which would be acceptable because at the same time a third gate would extend the amount of time an international guests might spend at the resort

I am sure that many if not all have seen the interview that D23 did with Bob W. and Steve D, in regards to WOC.

Notice the last questions.

"Q: When do you think this will all be completed?
    Bob: We always default to the great Walt quote that, "Disneyland will never be finished as long as there is imagination in the world." We actually have phases of Disney's California Adventure that we are working on that come beyond what we've announced. So this park, just like Disneyland or any of the other parks, will continue to develop over time as the audience builds and evolves. So I'm not sure that it ever ends — thankfully for us!"

These additions to DCA are only the beginning and if the numbers look well in 2012 do not be surprise to see even more announcement soon after. It is all about making sure DCA is ready to defend itself from a baby sister
    Thanks Baloo, interesting post, this is what I assumed was the logic behind the DCA planning, good to know my assumptions were correct. I do think it's important to get DL and DCA both on solid ground before openning the third gate, but I don't think they need to wait too long to do that. I do think it's important that they are in good shape and give them a few new things, because the focus will likely be off them somewhat for a few years while the third gate is being developed. It also makes sense why they are doing many small things at DL to add more capacity here and there and just make the experience more rich, like the Castle, the BBQ and Pixie Hallow. There seems to be more methodical, long term planning happening under Mr. Iger then previously, which makes sense since that's one thing he's known for, and is a good thing.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

So I learned more about Westcot today... Yeah... I want westcot now. It's the best from Disney Sea and Epcot combined. It would be great for the 3rd park.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    Disneyland needs better state of art "PARKING" before they even think of a 3rd park!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyXeLSL0II"]YouTube - Cosmo Kramer invention #3[/ame]

You see, a 3rd gate can actually be the solution, instead of a new problem:

LEVEL 4..........NEW THEME PARK
    =======================
    LEVEL 3..........UTILITY/BACK-STAGE
    =======================
    LEVEL 2.............PARKING
    ===========================
    LEVEL 1.............PARKING

You could actually fit 300 acres worth of stuff on a 75 acre footprint
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Animation Domination

Disneyland Resort won't have a 3rd park in a very long time. Disney still have to fix up DCA before getting a 3rd park. Hopefully Disney learns it's lesson and plans out the 3rd park correctly the first time it opens.
    "You are watching FOX"

I agree with others on here, let's not start thinking about a third park until both parks are up to par. More parks does not mean a better experience, as well, the strawberry field is not that big, and it's down the street from Disneyland, so you would have to either take a monorail over the city there or you would have to walk/take a bus or tram. WDW is able to do this but that's because they own all the land and everything in between the parks and the hotels is just swamp and marsh land. And personally, that's one of the biggest downfalls of Walt Disney World I have found; the fact that to go from park to park you have to leave the park, wait in a bus terminal, and take a bus to the other park. That just COMPLETELY ruins any kind of "magic" you were experiencing. Though, I haven't really felt nearly as much "magic" at WDW as I have at DL, but that's a topic for another discussion.

They need to get the two parks, as well as Downtown Disney and the hotels, done right before they can think about anything else. As far as Disneyland goes, there are few things that need improving there. They need to completely upgrade and re-imagine Tomorrowland. Make it more of a city street of the future, with solar panels, maybe some wind turbines, having a skyscraper organic farm (an idea which has been featured in many Discovery and Planet Green shows) and other things which are focused on real stuff we will have in the future. It should be much more like a future metropolis, since as of right now more than 50% of the people in the world live in cities, and it's only going to get higher. Inspire us about space again, have a feature about a small colony on the moon and maybe talking about a "current" mission or a past mission to Mars featuring real science and current NASA plans and talking about all the new things we're learning, as well, make a deal with Virgin to have a feature on the private space flights that will become a regular thing in a couple years, and you can bet that in 20 years they will be much more common and accessible for the common man, etc.

Also there are a handful of small things that need fixing in the park, like putting the Disney Gallery back above Pirates, making the Bank of Main Street a real working bank again, and just making sure there's no closed shops... either making the old restaurant in the plaza into a permanent customer relations/annual pass processing center or returning it back to a restaurant and put the pass processing center outside of the park.

As for California Adventure, I think we have to wait and see what the new park is like. I think there is still just something lacking in areas like Paradise Pier, or whatever the new name is, and small lands like A Bug's Land ... which is a land basically just for little kids, which goes against everything Disneyland is all about. The main problem for DCA was that it didn't follow the HUB design that every other successful Disney Park follows. It looks like now they are creating more of a HUB design, though not a true HUB, but like I said, we need to see how that goes.

As for Downtown Disney, I dunno, it just doesn't have very much of a "Disney" feel to it. The same goes for the one at WDW, and I didn't have a problem with it at WDW because WDW seems to be more about a place where you can have lots of fun, but Disneyland has always felt like a much more magical place, where Walt's spirit still resides. I'm not quite sure exactly what they should do.. maybe have characters walk around, maybe add something like Disneyquest or some kind of ride or game in there. I don't know... I feel like it's basically a smaller and less fun version of Universal City Walk, and if Disneyland is going to have a "City Walk" type thing in their parks, they should find a way to make it really uniquely Disney and right now the only thing that makes it Disney is the big Disney store at the end. Plus, they just opened that new Anaheim Walk or whatever it's called, the "Grove" type thing but for Anaheim, and I just think that fine.. if Disney wants to do it, they can do it... but whenever Disney has tried to do something like this, they always found a way to put a unique and interesting spin on it, make it a real experience and keep the whole "story" aspect alive in it somehow, and they were able to take it and make it their own. They wanted to do a Zoo, and they created Animal Kingdom. So they want to create a City Walk... well, as of right now, Downtown Disney to me, feels just like "Disney City Walk".

Those are just some of my complaints and suggestions, sorry for the rambling, feel free to comment, hate on me, or show support!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

^Great first post!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    ^Great first post!
    Thanks! I liked the idea in your post, don't know why they haven't done underground parking anywhere before...

Prediction, and an idea as to when the third will/ should be built: the 75th Anniversary in 2030.

As for theming, I've always liked the idea of a villains park, where instead of basing attractions on the heroes journey (like most Disney attractions are these days), it was taken from the villains perspective. Wouldn't mind either the Westcot or DisneySea ideas either.

Interesting prediction, I like it. Makes me think about what life will be like in 2030 and what Disneyland will be like. How much will have changed, how much will have stayed the same. I worry about it changing so much that I don't even recognize it, but then I think of how many rides have lasted for 50, 40, 30 years and I'm (somewhat) reassured.

I like the idea of a Villains Park, but then again, I think that goes a little bit against the Disney spirit, ya know? I mean, imagine taking your kids to that park, and it's all dark and creepy. Little kids would definitely get scared and want to leave. Plus, what would happen in the rides and parades and night shows, the bad guys win?
    Perhaps instead of a whole park, around Halloween time, or maybe on Halloween, they can have the Villains "take over" Disneyland and cause havoc and stuff, that would be kind of cool.

I don't think it hinders DL's and DCA's improvement projects for fans to dream a little, so here goes:

I like the Myths & Legends theme the best combined with the Portal idea. A kind of exploration of all the famous myths throughout history set in their cultural contexts. There would be an ancient Greece complete with replica structures of an ampitheater, temples, famous statues, and Mount Olympus (roller coaster of the gods). The other E-ticket attraction in the area would a boat ride through Homer's Odyssey, kind of that parks PotC. There could be a dark ride set to Hercules' 12 labors, but based on the Disney animation version. The possibilities for this land are endless.

There could be a far east region based on ancient Chinese culture where we find legends of dragons. I'm not sure if the ride technology is available yet, but it would need to be some kind of experience where the dragon actually swoops in and takes your "vehicle" on some kind of ride. A Mulan dark ride would fit nicely in this land.

There should also be a land based on American tall tales; a wild-wild-west/mining/lumber camp where we explore the stories of Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, John Henry, Casey Jones. Lot's of possibilities here too.

I'd also like to see the Island of Atlantis in the park somewhere, ancient Mayan culture, and something Medieval and/or Norse myths. As others have mentioned a desire for a Villians park, maybe a land in this park would work, a Villian's lair/ Transylvania or the like, where the story mythical monsters are explored (like werewolves, vampires, Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster, Headless Horseman, etc.). It would have to be presented in a Disney way so that it was still family friendly, but it could work. I'd also like to see a land that explores sci-fi modern day mythology (kind of a mythology of the future).

At the hub of the park would be the "Fountain of Youth", but I haven't really figured out what the entrance should be. I was thinking, maybe King Arthur's castle right at the entrance with the courtyard being Sherwood Forest. Or, the entrance could be El Dorado, the legendary city of gold (but "The Road to El Dorado" was a dreamworks picture, so that might not be possible.) Who knows. Maybe just a giant Wardrobe and we step right into Narnia.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678