Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Not here to help

Re: HKDL's Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy to come to DLR

Quote Originally Posted by Garfieldo View Post
    I've actually ridden on Ghost Galaxy at HKDL, but not Rockin' Space Mountain. So, if you're not worried about being spoiled, here's what the ride is like:

You start off in pitch darkness for a second or two, and when you finally get to that lit tunnel, the lights flicker and just seem all-out broken. The music sounds broken, too. As you go up the lift, and at the top you see a projection of some sort of ethereal space demon, saying "You have disturbed my slumber! Now you will pay!" or something along those lines. He rushes towards you and disappears, and the projection screen he was on is raised up, and you pass through where he just was (I'm just guessing that's how the effect is done).

The main ride is pretty different, too. But I can tell you quite certainly that there are NO FLASHING COLORED LIGHTS. There's one part of the ride where you go through a tunnel of swirling green stars, but that's pretty darn awesome and not at all annoying. The biggest difference is that all throughout the ride, they have projection screens set up with images of the Galaxy Ghost on them, swooping about and grabbing at you. Some just have giant eyeballs that follow you as you zoom by them.

By the way, if it DOES ever come to DL, don't be too quick to judge the screens. When I first went on Ghost Galaxy, the effect worked perfectly, and the projections blended in with darkness of the rest of the ride. However, my rides at night weren't quite as good, since my eyes had adjusted to the dark.

I would definitely go as far as to say that the regular Space Mountain is more well lit than Ghost Galaxy. I don't even think there were star projections on the walls, just the ceiling.

EDIT
    : As for how it makes sense thematically, remember that Space Mountain is supposed to be the method of transportation of the future. In the ride, you basically make a wrong turn and end up disturbing some age-old evil creature, who then proceeds to chase you through space. There aren't any skulls or traditional zombies and ghosts on the ride, or at least that I can remember (sorry disneyNEWdad). The only things you see other than the Galaxy Ghost (who looks like he's part of space itself) are some eyeballs that pop up in a couple of places on the ride.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you're still curious about anything.
    That is what I ment with the screens... they are clearly visible, like TV sets in space with images of eyes looking at you...
    If only the projections or whatever they used were done in a better way to blend in with the surroundings the ride would have been better. Still it is a nice way to make a difference for a limited of time.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• This is it... COME ON!!

The Story of Thunder Mountain already IS a haunted Mine!
    Sources:Mountains of disney book,Wikipedia!
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.
    Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    That is what I ment with the screens... they are clearly visible, like TV sets in space with images of eyes looking at you...
    If only the projections or whatever they used were done in a better way to blend in with the surroundings the ride would have been better. Still it is a nice way to make a difference for a limited of time.
    The effect is actually pretty good if you ride in the daytime, though. Or at least, it was for me. :\

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

YES!!!!!! I cant wait it will be worth it 4 the ride to be down for a week to have some new effects for Halloween.

I kind of like the idea.

noticed videos were posted of the one in Hong Kong and it looks interesting. I am sur ethe video does not do it justice.

Also the rockin' space mountain never fully materialized like it was suppose to there were several issues to get it all done in time. We need to remember that the re-opening of the attraction after its long refurb was rushed to be able to have the attraction open in time during the 50th celebration.

Also I remember when people were really against the halloween/Christmas overlay for huanted mansion. We all know how popular that became boosting the parks Christmas season for the park.
    Last edited by Baloo; 07-10-2009 at 08:40 PM.

I wonder if the projections could be done similar to the projections of Davy Jones in POTC attraction at Disneyland, A very fine mist of water.

Not sure if that would create issues with moisture inside the attraction though.

• Banned User

Does it work at HKDL? That's the key question. If it's a good overlay there, why wouldn't it work in Anaheim?

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

I wonder if the full Halloween decorations are coming back to Tower of Terror this year. They had it scaled back a lot last year. I'd rather see that return at this point than this. With the Trick or Treat in DCA it'd make more sense to have something changed over on their side, but I suppose Disneyland needs to expand beyond Main Street and Frontierland for the Halloween theme?

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Here's the "editor's note" from MiceAge today...

Editor's Note 7/11: Yes the rumors are true, Team Disney Anaheim approved the money this week for a '09 Halloween overlay for Space Mountain, using much of the equipment installed in '06 for Rockin' Space Mountain. Based on the Ghost Galaxy version of the ride in Hong Kong, this version will now debut at Disneyland on September 25th, after a two week closure. More info to come in the next update. - Al Lutz

I wish I could make it to the park during Halloweentime. I'd LOVE to ride this version of Space Mountain. Oh well.

<Joe>

I personally think there is at least one ghost in the mountain. I cant wait to see how this turns out.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Variation is always good. Even if it doesn´t change the ride itself it is a good way to lure more into the parks. A christmas Space Mountain would be fun.
    "wooohoo! look it´s santa, in space!!"

Ever watch Futurama? The evil Santa robot is based on Neptune.

• Who are you again?

once i heard the title i just thought of Ghostly Galaxy from super mario galaxy
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Ever watch Futurama? The evil Santa robot is based on Neptune.
    I just have to ask how is he based on neptune?

Quote Originally Posted by mansionman View Post
    I just have to ask how is he based on neptune?
    Sorry, okey I get it neptune the plant...{never mind}.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob™ View Post
    Yes but the point was that ghosts and spirits
    are not typically found or reside in a spaceport.
    Let alone in space.

Now an alien overlay would make better
    understanding but ghosts?

And why Space Mountain?

Only because the coaster is enclosed
    in darkness?
    Space Mountain has always been slightly eerie. But putting in Ghost Galaxy would really bring out its inner darkness (now I'm starting to sound creepy).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast