Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Speed of ToT

What is the top speed for Tower or Terror at DCA? I have been to much of a chicken to go on it. Does it go fast?

• Sock Puppet

It is SO worth facing your fears for it. It is amazing. And not just the ride. The whole atmosphere is just beautiful (until you get in the boiler room), and it really puts you in the mood. And the ride itself is SO much fun! My first time, I was so terrified. I had no fingernails left at the end. My mom was so tense, and could NOT speak. At the first drop, I let out the loudest, most shrill scream you have ever heard, from relief alone. When I got off, I was so glad I did it. You will want to do it again and again.

• Rock Star Minion

Speed is not the issue. It's acceleration.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by iCoaster
    What is the top speed for Tower or Terror at DCA? I have been to much of a chicken to go on it. Does it go fast?
    Horizontally, it doesn't go very fast at all. Vertically is another matter. Don't be overly chicken, it's a fun ride, it's the show effects that'll get you all creeped out.

The motion effects are a combination of taking you up very fast, and then taking you back down very fast, over and over in a seemingly random fashion.

It's basically a very powerful traction (cabled) elevator mechanism, the big difference being there is a complete loop of cable between the bottom of the passenger car and the bottom of the counterweight. That way the traction winch can apply power to 'push' the car in the Down direction (by pulling up hard on the counterweight, and having that bottom cable pull the car) allowing you to float out of your seat.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/busine...entstoryo.html

You are securely seat-belted in place and given hand-holds to hang on to if you like. And even if you are freaked out, it isn't that long of a ride - you can hold on long enough for it to end and never go back on it again if you don't want to. But once you get past the initial willies, I'll bet you'll want to go back and ride it again.

And I don't know this for an absolute fact, but I'm betting it has all the standard safety systems required of any regular elevator and then some, meaning it's going to be rather safe - the computer knows exactly where the car is every millisecond (versus where it should be), and it can be safely stopped at any point. And almost anything that can affect safety is monitored.

--<< Bruce >>--

Oh my kids (3 and 4) LOVE IT! They call it the 'up and down ride' We took our son (the 3 year old) on it as soon as he got to the 40 inch level - we knew he would love it, he is just that type of kid lol. When he got off it the first time he cam out saying "I LOVED IT!"

• Banned User

It tops out at about 35 mph.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I normally can't stand "up and down rides" (LOL love that Socaldude!! )but I LOVE TOT. It's such a good ride. Give a shot!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Still wants to be a cat!

You actually lose the sense of gravity, it's GREAT!!!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Sock Puppet

I LOVE it when my feet leave the floor!

• /sigh

Remember to tie down everything! Even my neclase flew up and hit me in the tooth..ouchie.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    And I don't know this for an absolute fact, but I'm betting it has all the standard safety systems required of any regular elevator and then some, meaning it's going to be rather safe - the computer knows exactly where the car is every millisecond (versus where it should be), and it can be safely stopped at any point. And almost anything that can affect safety is monitored.
    Actually, the ToT is very unsafe. Anything could happen on it, especially dangerous things. If you don't want to get hurt, or killed, you should stay off this attraction. I heard it's haunted.

Ok, I think i'll try it this summer when I go back!

• Minion

ToT isnt haunted! -__- but it will be if they didnt fix that emer. exit stairway they were saposta, too much pressure on the escape door was making it hard to open.....
    Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by iCoaster
    I think it actually can be calculated by simple Neutonian Physics...

The cabin drops at the acceleration of gravity on earth (g) which is a constant and never changes: 9.8 meters per second squared...

So it would be calcuated by how long the drop takes place from the top of the ride to the point of which it slows down well before it travels back up for another round. (If someone brought a stop watch on to the ride they can figgure out that exact time for you...)

Take that time multiply it by 9.8, then you have the meters per second.

Since the drop is programmable, the time is likely to be varried. I don't think the drop is longer than 3 seconds long... which 29.4 meters/second - which would be the cabin travels a maximum about 7.5 of 13 stories before breaking. If you do the math it means the top speed after 3 seconds is only 22 miles an hour... It only feels faster because you are constantly accelerating or decellarating...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    I think it actually can be calculated by simple Neutonian Physics...

The cabin drops at the acceleration of gravity on earth (g) which is a constant and never changes: 9.8 meters per second squared...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I was under the impression that the cabin dropped at a rate in excess of the acceleration of gravity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast