Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

when the tram guide says: "driver, your turn is clear"

you know how the tram that takes us into downtown disney, has the guy on the back of the tram reassuring the tram driver that his turn around the corner was a success? say the tram driver turned too soon, and the tram was about to crash, and the man on the back saw it coming, what would you say would be the funniest warning as it hits? and has anyone ever experienced a "not clear" tram turn?

Lightbulb Re: when the tram guide says: "driver, your turn is clear"

Actually has nothing to do with "crashing"... it's for the the speed. The driver can't speed up until the whole tram has completed the turn, otherwise the last few cars would be in for a wild ride! (which happens sometimes anyways if they clear early)

Now if you hear HOLD HOLD HOLD being yelled over the mic then get ready to stop fast because something is wrong or flew out of the tram.
    Last edited by Wesley815; 07-09-2009 at 12:44 AM.
    -Wes

• Zephyr Pilot

Re: when the tram guide says: "driver, your turn is clear"

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanecolby ! View Post
    say the tram driver turned too soon, and the tram was about to crash, and the man on the back saw it coming, what would you say would be the funniest warning as it hits?
    The back cars of the tram travel on the same path as the front car on turns. They have no greater chance of crashing than the front cars. During turns, the inside and outside wheels travel at different speeds accordingly so that what happens when an 18-wheeler turns doesn't happen. I can't explain it too well, but I hope that makes some sense.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

That is called a Jack/knife I think...maybe...and that is probably what could happen if they go around the corner too fast...a tipped tram full of guests would not be a good thing what so ever

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Actually has nothing to do with "crashing"... it's for the the speed. The driver can't speed up until the whole tram has completed the turn, otherwise the last few cars would be in for a wild ride! (which happens sometimes anyways if they clear early)

Now if you hear HOLD HOLD HOLD being yelled over the mic then get ready to stop fast because something is wrong or flew out of the tram.
    I agree with this answer. If the cab cleared the turns and then sped up the rear car would be traveling too fast for the corner. On a roller coaster the front car slowly crests the lift hill but the back car is going faster when it crests the lift hill.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

If you are sitting in the rear car and the RT calls Clear a bit too soon, and/or the driver jumps on the throttle the instant it's said, you can get slid across the seat and bunched up against the outside of the turn. BT, DT...

You young whippersnappers have it too soft - these new-fangled seven-string trams track right in line behind the tractor almost perfectly. In my day...

The old five-string trams had a far less sophisticated steering and suspension system - they had an optimal speed for proper tracking through a turn. If you went too slow, the trailers toward the rear started cutting to the inside quite a bit, and if you were going a bit fast they would start going way wide. (Six inches per trailer starts addding up real fast.)

And toward the end of the night they were snaking through the aisles of the old parking lot to take people real close to that little cluster of cars in the corner of Winnie...

Which meant that one of the important jobs of the RT was to watch for this problem. Bunches of times the RT would call to the Driver to speed up or slow down in a turn because the rear end was starting to get close to parked cars.

"Driver, speed up Now! Folks, hang on!" Mr. Toad sometimes made it out to the parking lot.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I have heard the dreaded "Hold Hold Hold!!" That was because someone's folded up stroller went flying out of the tram.

• Senior Minion

We didn't see the first tram for about a half hour. Seven-stringer. You know how you know that in the parking lot, Chief? You can tell by looking from the tractor to the RT. What we didn't know was we'd been shoppin' on Main Street so late, no tram had been sent!

Very first light, Chief, trams come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo, and the idea was the tram comes to the nearest guest, that guest he starts wavin' and hollerin' and sometimes that tram he picks you up... sometimes he doesn't pick you up. Sometimes that tram drives right past you, and then... ah, and then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

What about the Cm says, "Driver, you are clear!" Makes you wonder, "Clear of what???? "

Sonoma County, Ca. but born in Whittier, Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    We didn't see the first tram for about a half hour. Seven-stringer. You know how you know that in the parking lot, Chief? You can tell by looking from the tractor to the RT. What we didn't know was we'd been shoppin' on Main Street so late, no tram had been sent!

Very first light, Chief, trams come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo, and the idea was the tram comes to the nearest guest, that guest he starts wavin' and hollerin' and sometimes that tram he picks you up... sometimes he doesn't pick you up. Sometimes that tram drives right past you, and then... ah, and then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'.

Thanks, Quint! By the way, you're gonna need a bigger tram.

Lightbulb Re: when the tram guide says: "driver, your turn is clear"

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I have heard the dreaded "Hold Hold Hold!!" That was because someone's folded up stroller went flying out of the tram.
    Good lesson for all you who yell at the CM's because they are asking you to take kids OUT of strollers. I hate the break the news to you, but they care about your child's safety even if you don't.
    -Wes

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Good lesson for all you idiots who yell at the CM's because they are asking you to take kids OUT of strollers. I hate the break the news to you, but they care about your child's safety even if you don't.
    Absolutely. I wonder how the stroller turned out because the tram ran over it too. Bizarre situation.

Yay! First ride of the day with almost no wait. :o)

• Minion

I was an Attractions CM in Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Main St./Parking Lot from 1983 through 1994, and as a trainer in the Lot, I trained a lot of drivers.

The old trams did track pretty well, but you still had to make the turn in just the right way so the trailers would track the way you wanted them to, in the best possible way.

Even then they would still track in (and out) to a certain degree.
    Driving in and through massive traffic exits, in between sections of the Lot, and down narrow passageways, made entering and lining the turns up quite important.

The RT was not only there to spiel to the guests onboard, but to tell you to slow down (or stop) if you needed to.

Not all of them would tell you the tram was clear on every turn, but if I wasn't getting any help from the RT when I needed it, I would just slow way down, check my mirrors to show the RT I needed his/her commentary, and they would usually respond. If they didn't, sometimes I'd go back and tell them that in narrower passages they needed to give the play by play (so to speak) as to how your turn was coming.

I can't speak for the newer trams, but it sounds like they track even better. Still I would think if the driver cut in too close on a curb rather than making a more rounded arc through curved turns, the new trams could hit things also. I would also think if you swung the arc too wide, you'd swing your back trailers out too.

"Driver your turn is clear" simply meant that I made the turn successfully, clearing curbs, bushes, hedges, and (in the old days) cars that were parked on the corners and ends of sections and aisles. And it was usually only said in those tighter spaces, or when you had cars driving all around you during the mass exits out of the Lot after the fireworks.

RTs seldom made that statement on the back of the tram because of the slide factor on the seats though.

They might now though.

During driver training, you soon learned how fast you could make your turn safely without throwing people around back there. New drivers sometimes had to be alerted to this fact during training, and training was the time to do that. You could monitor it in your rear view mirrors too.
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 07-09-2009 at 10:29 PM.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    What about the Cm says, "Driver, you are clear!" Makes you wonder, "Clear of what???? "
    Clear of those drink driving charges...
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast