Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Laughing Place Finder

Disneyland walkways 101 - Can we all stay to the right? Common sense or pipedream?

This scenario could happen just about anywhere but for this discussion imagine you are walking from the Tiki Room to Splash Mountain through Adventureland and run into this problem:

It is a lovely weekday in March with a smaller than average crowd in the park. You think getting around will be pretty easy. No sooner do you get started than you find yourself stuck behind a herd of Miss Daisies walking 6 across at 1/4 mile per hour staring off into space.

You move left to the middle of the walkway to navigate around them and get clobbered by a quadruple-wide stroller doing donuts in the middle of the walkway by Aladdin's Oasis. You try to limp off to the Adventureland gift-shop on the right but you get clobbered by a gang of emo kids trying to break each other's crowd-weaving record while complaining about how lame everyting is.

You finally break free of this obstacle and try to resume a normal walking pace, NOT a speed-walking pace, just a nice normal pace. You get through the bottleneck at Bengal BBQ and head over the bridge in front of Pirates. You take care to stay to the right of the walkway as if you were driving only to get clotheslined by a family of 8 holding hands and all walking abreast of each other without a care in the world.

After you regain your senses you are finally you are on the move again and all seems to be going fine. You find yourself walking behind a family of four and they seem to be using common-sense to get around. Everything seems fine and then, suddenly and for no reason they abruptly stop.... in the middle of a busy walkway... in front of Hanunted Mansion... for no reason. They start having a conversation about what time they should have lunch and what kind of food sounds good. You are totally boxed in and can't squeeze your way out of this debacle.

Finally you get moving again and start up the curve over the drop of Splash Mtn. You then find that a crowd of people is heading your way directly towards you. They are all walking to their left side of the walkway for some odd reason. Now you feel like a salmon trying to swim up a waterfall and wonder what you did to deserve this.

Did you miss some Disneyland rule that everyone else knows about? Is today walk slowly, stupidly and in the opposite direction day? Are you a pariah being punished for some unknown sin?

Is it too much to think that maybe one day people could learn to stay to the right when they walk? Perhaps we could even get people who know they are ultra-slow walkers to be on the far right sort of like the slow lane on the freeway.

None of this scenario outlined above is the result of a line queue, a walkway bottleneck, an over-crowded day, a show or parade exiting en masse, a handicapped person in a wheelchair or scooter or normal baby-stroller operation. Is this all a result of general stupidity or am I the only one still left following the "stay-to-the-right" pedestrian rule of thumb?

I propose that it would be a wonderful thing to have people stay to the right as much as possible when walking. Obviously I'm not talking about uni-directional crowd rushes like park-opening or after fireworks. Just normal, everyday walking from one place to another.

Also if you are in the middle of a walkway and need to stop please move to the side first. The people walking behind you don't really want to walk into you no matter how awesome and cute you think you are. Few things are as maddening as having a group of people walking in front of you abruptly stop in the middle fo the walkway.

I know any discussion attempting to change group behavior is probably Quixotic in the extreme but I thought it would be a constructive thing to discuss.

Sorry if this was long-winded and sorry of this has been discussed ad nauseum before. I ran a search and didn't see anything.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland walkways 101 - Can we all stay to the right? Common sense or pipedream

You'd figure most of this would be common sense. I've left the park before after having a few run ins with stupidity for the most mundane things. I also liked the freeway analogy, but even when you look there you have the idiots going 60mph in the fast lane.

Re: Disneyland walkways 101 - Can we all stay to the right? Common sense or pipedream

You're not commuting. You're at Disneyland.

•   

Well, you have said everything we all think when we are at the parks!

I must admit, I have done one of these bone-headed things myself, but try to be conscience of others and ALWAYS try to stay to the right unless the herd is in front of me.

Yes, please people- If you need to talk to your party all at once, please pull all the way over to the edge of the pathway before you start. Nothing more agrivating then a group you are right behind slamming the brakes on without notice!

Courtesy, courtesy, courtesy!

• Banned User

The one thing that gets to me at disneyland is when for no reason people feel as if they need to stop right in the middle of everything, stare at their map, figure out where the heck they are, and just stand there when a huge crowd behind them has to go different ways because numnuts over here can't figure out if it's pirates or haunted mansion they wanna go on.... which I have come to a realization on.... stupidity doesn't just happen in the outside world, it also happenes at Disneyland. So the next time your lost or figuring out your next move, please step aside or sit on a bench and figure it out, thanks

I know that "Disneyland walkways 101" is a reference to a basic college course as in "how to walk to keep things moving". it's ironic, isn't "101" code for the ride is stopped?

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

You missed some. People who walk backwards into crowds or people who walk one way and look another.

This sort of thing happens in any street or mall almost anywhere. I've been thinking that if I want to enjoy my time in the Park I'll need to stop getting annoyed at these people because they WILL be there.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I know that "Disneyland walkways 101" is a reference to a basic college course as in "how to walk to keep things moving". it's ironic, isn't "101" code for the ride is stopped?
    I was unaware of the double-meaning but now that you've pointed it out I quite like that. Thanks.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• DC 3:55

Quote Originally Posted by startours1 View Post
    The one thing that gets to me at disneyland is when for no reason people feel as if they need to stop right in the middle of everything, stare at their map, figure out where the heck they are,
    Nobody looks at the map while at Disneyland, and if they do, they never figure out where they are.

Also, perhaps these people are screwing things up.

After purchasing a ticket, there should be an area where all guests are shown a video on common rules of the park (emphasis on pedestrian traffic esp. around night show endings). The issue would be how to enforce people to watch and determining who needs to watch and who does not.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Disneyland brings you to a land of Fantasy and tomorrow. Looking at a lot of people at the park, it's clear their minds are in those worlds and not in the land of common sense.

I understand people being a bit overwhelmed at all the goings on. As long as they aren't bullies or being malicious I chalk it up to stress rather then trying to run over people. Don't let it bother you and it won't.

• I'm not really here

Lol... the way you described that Darth Mickey was hilarious only because it is so absolutely true.

There is no real official law or anything governing pedestrian traffic, but it makes perfect sense for it to follow your regular rules of the road. We drive on the right, we yield the right of way, we look before we turn or backup and we don't make sudden stops. You'd think that this would carry over to walking, but for some reason it doesn't.

I always try to be a courteous pedestrian because that is what I expect from others... but man is it hard at Disneyland to not de-evolve back to clubbing people with the femur of a Jungle Cruise animal while grunting obscenities.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

It like with anywhere else! Would you believe that they probably drive like they walk? I don't know, I've always tried to walk on the right side, just like driving, as a common courtesy. Cept in supermarkets you get sideswiped by people that don't pay attention and look both ways before just rolling their carts in front of you and cutting you off. I've also been hit, YES HIT, from behind, when a lady was literally pushing me forward in line, even though there was no place to go!
    I've had this in the queues at Disneyland at well... you just need to go with a open mind! It's hard, but yeah, we find having to move for 6 people across is actually frustrating, but it happens to just about everyone! I try to remember that I'm not the only one, and I gently remind my kids to "please don't do what they are doing".. it's rude!

It's like the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"... "patience is a virtue".. Just know that you have the better manners!

Vickie
    ~Dead Men Tell No Tales~

• Future Cast Member

I agree, it should be common sense. Another thing I hate is when people stop right in the middle of the walkway to look at a map or some other unimportant reason.
    Last edited by ChessurInWonderland; 07-10-2009 at 12:34 PM.

• Laughing Place Finder

Is it too soon for me to start selling unofficial Micechat double-sided t-shirts that say:

Walking Tips:

1. Stay to the right.

2. If you need to stop please move to the side first.

3. Live Happily Ever After

I've noticed that at California Adventures as you are walking down that long sweeping curve to the pier, it seems like everyone walking up is drifting to the left side into you. I usually walk to the left to avoid them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast