Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Memebr excited about 1st Disney Trip :)

Hi everyone,

Firstly sorry if this thread should be in a different section

Hi, I am a Mum of 3 from Australia and my family and I are off to Disneyland in 5 weeks

We (Hubby, Myself, Son 9, Son 6 and Daughter 3) will be arriving in LA on the 16th of August and taking a shuttle to Anaheim - the Howard Johnson Hotel. We only have a 3 day Disney pass as we are then off to Philadelphia to visit my Mum.

Someone from the HoJo forum let me know about micechat so I am looking forward to reading through all of the topics here. I'm sure I'll find all the information I could possibly need

Kel

• Disney Fan

Re: New Memebr excited about 1st Disney Trip :)

Welcome to the boards! I really hope you guys enjoy your first trip to Disneyland!

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Have lots of fun!! Hopefully the new dragon will be working by then...hopefully...

• Sock Puppet

Oh my, that's so exciting! A first Disneyland trip
    I hope you all have a most wonderful time!
    Oh, and welcome to micechat!

• Minion

have fun and remember to do EVERYTHING!!!! oh and dont worry we know DCA currently isnt that great...but there working on it
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

You landed in the best Disney site on the web in my opinion. I remember when I made my first trip to Disneyland. MiceChat was so helpful. That was back in 2005, when Disneyland was celebrating their 50th Anniversary.

I believe your thread is in the right place.

Don't be shy. People around here are very knowledgeable about Disneyland. I have never stayed at the HoJo, but it comes highly recommended by many MiceChatters.

I just noticed that you will be in Disneyland at the very same time that I will be at Disney World. Have a super time.

Welcome to MiceChat.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Laughing Place Finder

Welcome and congratulations. The only thing better than making a first trip to Disneyland is sharing a first trip with your loved ones.

There are lots of threads on here about what first-timers shouldn't miss and little known insider tips to make a trip extra special. I'd say the primary thing to remember is to not run yourselves over trying to do everything.

Keep a little note on the back of your wallet that says "Have fun! If you're not having fun then what's the point?" It seems like an obvious thing but you'd be surprised how many people kill themselves racing all over Disneyland and end up having zero fun.

I hear the Howard Johnson in Anaheim is a great hotel in a great location that should be ideal. I can't emphasize enough the importance of taking a mid-day break at the hotel for rests/swims/naps so you can recharge yourselves to get through the rest of the day.

You'll have an amazing time feeling the impact of the experience as well as living it through your kids.

Your 3 year-old will love the Winnie the Pooh ride as well as the fun of exploring Fantasyland. Does she have a favorite princess or other character? She'll LOVE going through the castle.

Your 6 year-old will love everything. That's a great age to first see the park.

Your 9 year-old will love Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder and Tom Sawyer Island. If he likes fast rides and drops then he'll also love Space Mtn and Splash Mtn.

Make sure you learn about the rider-switch / baby-switch pass for rides your smaller kids might not want to ride. I'm sure that will be a HUGE help to you.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Have fun.

On our families very first trip chip wrote in our autograph book "It's the memories the count"

When ever we go that is our motto and it keeps us all remembering that no matter which attractions we ride as long as we are having fun and making memories then we really cannot ask for more.

The Hojo is great. We have stayed there several times and always enjoy it.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Your have a great trip, watch the shows and ride all the rides. Try to get to the park as earlier as you can the first two hours of the park are not very coward and you can do over seven rides just in those first hours.

Oh my goodness, thankyou everyone for your warm replies. I have made note of all of your tips and will definately remember the "Have Fun" motto. As we only have 3 days to see "it all" I will remember that it's not the end of the world if we miss an attraction or 2

Thankyou to Darth Mickey for your age recommendations, I will keep them all in mind I have also been looking into the rider switch thingys as Hubby and I both love the thrill rides with Mr 9 but Mr 6 and Miss 3 are not yet fans!

Miss 3 adores the Princesses and we have been looking into the Boutique where they dress up etc..... That looks amazing.

I assume Mr 6 will LOVE EVERYTHING!

We are all counting down the days and I'm sure it'll be here in no time - by the time I finish reading this forum!!

Thankyou again for your advice

What a fun thing, a nice family from Australia coming to the good 'ol USA and a first trip to Disneyland!

Could someone else break the news to her that on August 17th several hundred thousand of the cheap SoCal and SoCal Select AP's become unblocked for late summer, plus all of the Disney employee summer blockouts on free admission end, and the parks will be a total zoo that week?

I can't bear to tell her that. Someone else do it for me.

Re: New Member excited about 1st Disney Trip :)

Since many of the season passholders will finally be able to go to DL on the days that you'll be there, it is especially important to get to the parks at least a half hour before opening to get parking, to get to the gates, and to be sure that the park doesn't "fill up" to the point that they aren't letting anymore people in. I remember that disappointment myself our first day at Disney World (Florida). We got to one of the parks about 10 am and they had already closed admissions because too many people were in the parks. I've heard that that also happens at DLR.

So, it's important that you have your "things" ready the night before, so your family can just get up and go to the parks early in the morning.

Hopefully, your 3 days at DLR will not include weekends.

Have you bought your tickets already? If you don't buy them ahead of time, you'll have to get to the parks even earlier to buy your tickets. Tickets can be purchased online, so look into that if you don't have your tickets.

Since you'll be going during a busy time, I suggest ordering "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2009" (get it from Amazon or wherever is best for you). That guide will provide you strategies and plans so that you'll get the most out of your days. I just ordered a copy myself after hearing about how good the book is. It has various plans for different types of families (families with little ones, families with pre-teens, etc.)

Since food is expensive in the parks, you might want to have your kids eat something quickly in the morning outside the park.

I suggest that you do Disneyland on your first day, Cal Adv on your second day, and back to Disneyland on your third day because you'll be able to "rest up" a bit on the second day since Cal Adv opens later and closes earlier. However, if you think you're going to be exhausted on your first day (because of jet lag), then you probably should go to Cal Adv on your first day. Visiting DownTown Disney is free, so you can do that on your arrival day or maybe after visiting Cal Adv.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!
    Last edited by jlauer95; 07-11-2009 at 05:33 AM.

Advice about the best food at DLR... :)

The below is from another thread...it summarizes all the MiceChatters' good advice about where to eat at the parks and what tastes best at each place...

The following summarizes y'alls good advice on what to eat and where... Let me know if I've forgotten anything or if you have something else to add!

The Plaza Inn, Broasted Chicken, pastas, Pot Roast, Cobb Salad, steak and mashed taters which uses gray poupon mustard and Montreal seasoning, yummy.Fried Chicken portion is huge! I think it's like a wing, breast, and leg/thigh. That's essentially half a chicken! Large eaters will be satisfied. Regular/moderate eaters could easily split this, particularly if you get a second set of sides...)

Carnation Cafe.. For breakfast, their fruit and yogurt parfait. It's huge and the fruit is perfectly fresh and ripe (though I suppose it is a bit overpriced). And for dinner, their Meatloaf Stack sandwich

Redd Rocket’s Pizza Port's Chicken Fusilli, good salads, Pizza pieces are huge with thick crusts and you can refill your soda - no need for reservations

Tomorrowland Terrace. The toppings bar is nice

the Tiki Bar Dole pineapple whips

The French Market – clam chowder bread bowls, Jambalya,

Cafe Orleans!!!- Pomme Fritte, Gumbo, and Monte Cristo (This is probably my favorite meal in the park) the traditional, and a three-cheese Monte for 15.99. One sandwich is big enough for two people, quite honestly.

The Blue Bayou. - Monte Cristo that is pure heaven and a heart attack. the traditional, and a three-cheese Monte for 21.99. The Bayou serves the traditional, at lunch only.

Mint Julep – mint juleps

Rancho Del Zocalo's Caesar salad, steak burrito.

Bengal BBQ (Adventureland – across from Indiana Jones) bacon wrapped asparagus - it is soooo yummy...

Rancho Del Zocalo is good food and a good value, but they keep the food on the bland side of spicy to satisfy all tastes. There is salsa and hot sauce available to correct this.

Cart by Thunder Mountain... Chimichanga was a little bland, but they have La Victoria Picante Salsa in packets on the cart, so I managed to spice it up enough to suit me - and it was fast. At $5.50 it was a pretty cheap meal for DLR... just go to Rancho Restaurant and use their hot sauce.

The Hungry Bear in Critter Country across from Splash Mountain,

Harbor Galley in Critter Country DL. The Broccoli Cheese Soup in the sourdough bread bowls are good.

Riverbelle Terrace - Turkey salad, country fried potatoes at River Bell Terrace in Frontierland. They're served during breakfast, and they have this creole sauce that adds an extra kick. They come with the Mark Twain, which is eggs, potatoes, and sausage or bacon. Really good Mickey pancakes,

red truck Corn dogs are quick, awesome and fairly inexpensive

Casey's Coke Corner has chili bowls, gluten free hot dogs on buns, chips. (Is this in DL or CA?)

California Adventure

The best place for families to eat is the wharf area. Starting on the north and down to the south there are lots of places to sit and eat. It is possible for a family to eat at two restaurants or even more. Mom gets the California wrap and a toddler meal. Grandmother and grandfather goes to get soup bowls while dad and the kids go get Mexican food. They meet in the middle and each has a nice tasty meal.

Bountiful Valley Farmer's Market
    Deep fried foods like battered fish fillets served with red flame grapes or fries, mozarella sitcks, and chicken nuggets. There are corn dogs, wraps, and caesar sals with or without chicken.

Cocina Cucamonga - chicken tamales

Taste Pilot Grill – DCA - burgers and fries the best. TPG has a condiment bar you can fix it up nicely. Has really good chicken sandwiches and their Chili Cheese Waffle fries are yummy too. Bacon Burgers and criss-cross fries - no need for reservations

Pacific Wharf Bakery in DCA Soups, Chili, and chowder served in the sourdough bread bowls are good. Also serve salads but the best part is the loaf of sourdough bread and baked goods.

Pacific Wharf Distribution Co.
    Beer, pretzels, and black pepper popcorn

Pizza ooh Mau Mau - slices are big!

Bountiful Valley Farmer's Market
    Deep fried foods like battered fish fillets served with red flame grapes or fries, mozarella sitcks, and chicken nuggets. There are corn dogs, wraps, and caesar salads with or without chicken.

The Wine Country Trattoria at DCA has some amazing lasagna and good wine (I recommend the XY Zin if you over 21).

Carts: chimichanga

Hot Dog stand from Hollywood area of DCA - chili cheese hotdogs and fries

Misc….

the Churro's and cheese pretzels.
    Turkey Legs
    Carts - you got to get a Mickey Bar, frozen banana are supposed to be god but I have not tried one. Avoid the hot dogs as they are premade from what I have heard. Cotton Candy, caramel corn, and popcorn.

White Water Snacks nachos and burgers are the best food options for your money, IMO. Corn dogs are awesome, and I also enjoy the jalapeno pretzel. (Is this in a Disney hotel?)

Downtown Disney

Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Poor Boy sandwiches from the "to go" window at - no need for reservations.

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Express (the walk-up window) also has self-serve (aka refillable) beverages. The only problem with that location is the limited seating outside. Still...it's really yummy food for a reasonable (for the resort) price.

Hagen Daz with yummy sundaes and ice cream.

ESPN zone - $35 Appetizer assortment, Burgers - it can be hard to get a table, get a reservation

Tortilla Jo’s - carnitas tacos & the "Mexicone”
    Last edited by jlauer95; 07-11-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: corrected BB's Monte Cristo price

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MiceChat! How exciting to be going to Disneyland for your first time! Be sure and take lots of pictures of everything, and when you get home and rested up we want a trip report!!

Everyone has some great advice! But I don't know where that $15.99 price tag for a Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou came from.. Its $21.99 there. But at Cafe Orleans they are $15.99. You can check out the different eating places around the resort, what they serve and prices here:

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm

If you are staying at HoJo's, you won't have to worry about getting to the park early to park, since HoJo's is just a few minutes walk away. But I do recommend getting to the park itself early and getting through the gate. As the morning wears on the crowds get bigger. Many people hit Fantasy Land first, since that area seems to get long and longer lines as the morning progresses.

While its currently your winter, its our summer, and August is just about the hottest month of the year. Days can be 80-90 degrees, but the nights are very comfortable. Be sure to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen! There are several restaruants in the park where you can refill water bottles. And don't be afraid to get wet! Splash Mountain in Disneyland is a very wet ride, Grizzy Rapids in DCA is a wet ride, and in Bugs Land in DCA there is a "kiddie" water play area, that even adults can play in.

And since you will be there several days, taking a mid day break to go back to the motel for some pool time and nap time that has been suggested is a great idea too!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Welcome, you are in good hands here! Feel free to fire off any questions you may have about Disneyland or the surrounding area.

Disney Disney Disney - Oi Oi Oi!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast